Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:45 AM

And Step 3 finished about a half an hour ago - those little nine patches are cute but I am happy they are done.  There are 36 units here and I had to really concentrate on getting the right number done.

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

Sheila:
But, I am also not very good about slowing down and paying attention to wandering digits, I am more focused on the fabric pieces being straight and true; after all, the quilt is more important than the quilter....isn't that right, or am I still being crazy?    Ummm, don't answer that.....

Sheila, I won't answer that, BUT - - - blood is not nice on a quilt!  I got close to sewing myself to a quilt a few days ago, then decided to slow the speed on my machine so that I wouldn't really do it!  When I get in the groove, I am wreckless!  I have always been a speedy chain-sewer even while making dresses for our girls.  It made the process of dressing 3 girls much faster, but more dangerous because I went "pedal to the metal" all the time.  That machine didn't have a speed control.  Those girls are now 49, 50 and 51 - so I hope I am a little wiser in my senior years!!

I hope to get back to sewing today and get step 2 done today.  I got step 3 printed last night when I was finally able to get on here before I was shut out again.  I will probably get the "SORRY" message when I post this, but posts have been going through anyway.  Time to get off my butt here and put it at the sewing machine!

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

Marge P:

And Step 3 finished about a half an hour ago - those little nine patches are cute but I am happy they are done.  There are 36 units here and I had to really concentrate on getting the right number done.

Marge P, I love how your colors look in these bitsy nine-patches.  I can't wait to get to the machine in a few minutes, If the phone doesn't ring again.  I haven't even started sewing my strips yet, so need to demand that this weekend is MINE and get to it so that I am caught up.  I was tempted to start earlier in the week, but kept to my vow of finishing quilting at least 4 wheelchair quilts first.  Have 3 1/2 done and am calling that enough for now.  Should finish the 4th first, but know something will get in the way, so vow will be partially broken!  On to MQ 8!!  2 MQ 7s will be finished later this week - need to "manufacture" binding first for them.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:09 PM

Marge P:

Looking good Marge!  I've got a few of mine done but not all by a long shot.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,123
Points 110,740

Marge P:

Marge. I love your fabrics. I also really like this pattern in spite of the teensy weensy pieces. I've completed step 3 and am anxiously waiting for next Friday and step 4.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Nana,I'm having a difficult time trying to post my latest work... Any suggestion. I have completed step #3 and wanted to share with the group. I get a denied access notice. I did post in introduce yourself weeks ago but can't seem to post anything else. 

Thanks for the help. 

Debra 

southern Maine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Nana,I'm having a difficult time trying to post my latest work... Any suggestion. I have completed step #3 and wanted to share with the group. I get a denied access notice. I did post in introduce yourself weeks ago but can't seem to post anything else. 

Thanks for the help. 

Debra 

southern Maine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:12 PM

Marsha-SM:
Marge P, I love how your colors look in these bitsy nine-patches.  I can't wait to get to the machine in a few minutes, If the phone doesn't ring again.  I haven't even started sewing my strips yet, so need to demand that this weekend is MINE and get to it so that I am caught up.  I was tempted to start earlier in the week, but kept to my vow of finishing quilting at least 4 wheelchair quilts first.  Have 3 1/2 done and am calling that enough for now.  Should finish the 4th first, but know something will get in the way, so vow will be partially broken!  On to MQ 8!!  2 MQ 7s will be finished later this week - need to "manufacture" binding first for them.

Marsha - you get so much done and for such worthy causes.  I know you have the farm business that interrupts your plans fairly often.   We used to have a small cattle ranch and we both worked full time off the ranch so whenever I did get a time to sew, it was much appreciated.  Used to be able to run on less hours sleep so most of it was between 11 PM-2AM.  Now that the farm is a memory, I still find myself sewing those hours.

I did a mind game when sewing the 9 patches - would lay out enough of the  light dark light strips and the dark light dark strips to make 5 complete units.  Get them all sewn together and stack on ironing board - After I had two stacks done, Being as we need 36 units, I counted out the required pieces for 6 units.  Then went back to finishing 5 units per go around and  it seemed to help to watch those little stacks increase and the bitty pieces in my plastic bags decrease.  Course 5 is my favorite number so I tend to do things in series of 5 if applicable.  I guess some of my OCD shining through. :-) 

Hope you get lots of time to sew on your 9 patches and let there be NO INTERRUPTIONS!  Have a great sewing day.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:22 PM

Thanks, Dara.  I have so many other projects to work on and I knew if I could keep up with one, I would feel better.  I have never made 2" - 9 patches before and I don't think I would have attempted them if I really had known this before I cut the fabric but am glad I did it.  Mine are not perfect but being able to move my needle over to the right just a bit was a huge help.  I have been sewing for about 60 years and still do not do a consistent straight seam.

Hang in there and you will be done and feel so good!

MargeP 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:27 PM

Thanks, Judy - I really LOVE the peach colors you are using.  It looks so springy and reminds me of the either double or triple Irish Chain queen sized UFO that I have.  I used peach, cream and mint green in it.  I actually had a longarmer baste it for me as my goal about 14-15 years ago was to hand quilt it.  I think it is time to just throw it on my longarm and get it done. So many projects and so little time.

Marge P

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:34 PM

Martha Haines:

Step 3 all laid out and ready.

First one done!

Yay!  And they are looking good.  Like your color combination.

MargeP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:40 PM

JudyEE -  I love your comment about your units looking like yellow cabs.  You must put the Yellow Cab name in your quilt for sure.  Step three shouldn't have been hard for you with all those little tiny strips you use when making your log cabin blocks.  The little 9 patches were a bit of a challenge for me but they are done.

MargeP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Here's my color combo. I was wondering if anyone knows how big this quilt will be. 

Debra 

southern Maine

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

OMG! Just getting to Step 2 cutting. These little 1" pieces are way smaller than they look in everybody's pics!! This is what I like about Mystery Quilts. You never know what you're in for and, usually, they are quilts that I would never attempt if I had a pic beforehand. That's the fun part! They take me out of my comfort zone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 3:33 PM

Debra,

I really like that purple & white!  Looking good.  I'm hoping to start on my step 3 this evening.

• Post Points: 35
Page 11 of 19 (285 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use