rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:33 PM

Debbie,

I am CRAZY!!!!  No if's, ands, or buts about it!  I am finding that these 9 patches are the cutest-looking little dickens ever!, but, everyone...beware when sewing these tiny gems, that you don't put the needle through your fingers when you are doing such close-up work!  I have had some near misses already, and I have only done one set out of my five.  But, I am also not very good about slowing down and paying attention to wandering digits, I am more focused on the fabric pieces being straight and true; after all, the quilt is more important than the quilter....isn't that right, or am I still being crazy?    Ummm, don't answer that.....

Sheila in MT

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:38 PM

JudyEE,

You said your pieces look like yellow cabs.  Well, the quilt is called City Streets, so you are the only one of us that nailed the theme perfectly!!!!

Sheila in MT

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:04 PM

Ok, so call me crazy, I really liked the small pieces, and so easy to rip and repeat better. LOL.  I've had company here for a week and was so busy the week before I was so far behind, but I've kinda caught up and I'll post a picture soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Wow some of you gals are going great guns.  I downloaded the instructions this morning but have been working on quilts for my grandniece and grandnephew (they are twins).  I have the top and what I thought would be the back done for the nephew but DH says that I should make it into a top on it's own.  I am going to show the pics and see what you guys think cause I can't make up my mind.  here is the top, DH is holding it upside down.  You can sort of see the three dimensional look of the green

Now here is the back that I made from the scraps of the top.  I have not added borders yet because if I use it for the back I will need wider borders.  Now that this is sewn I will be able to start step 3 on Sunday as tomorrow is a trip to Toronto to see my dad.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:41 PM

Bethiebear:
Like DH?   What is that?  I can't remember the rest, but all kinds of those things are used all the time.   DIL, I've got, I think = Daughter-in-law.

Bethiebear, here's a clue...  Your DIL's DH is your son!  LOL

Off to print step 3.  The way today's discussion started, I thought we were working on HSTs, but it appears we're making 9-patches.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:35 PM

Marilyn,

The bottom one is the back from scraps????  I love it and I agree with your DH that it deserves to be a quilt of its own. 

love it!

Sandy

Marilyn B:

Wow some of you gals are going great guns.  I downloaded the instructions this morning but have been working on quilts for my grandniece and grandnephew (they are twins).  I have the top and what I thought would be the back done for the nephew but DH says that I should make it into a top on it's own.  I am going to show the pics and see what you guys think cause I can't make up my mind.  here is the top, DH is holding it upside down.  You can sort of see the three dimensional look of the green

Now here is the back that I made from the scraps of the top.  I have not added borders yet because if I use it for the back I will need wider borders.  Now that this is sewn I will be able to start step 3 on Sunday as tomorrow is a trip to Toronto to see my dad.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:37 PM

Sheila:

Debbie,

I am CRAZY!!!!  No if's, ands, or buts about it!  I am finding that these 9 patches are the cutest-looking little dickens ever!, but, everyone...beware when sewing these tiny gems, that you don't put the needle through your fingers when you are doing such close-up work!  I have had some near misses already, and I have only done one set out of my five.  But, I am also not very good about slowing down and paying attention to wandering digits, I am more focused on the fabric pieces being straight and true; after all, the quilt is more important than the quilter....isn't that right, or am I still being crazy?    Ummm, don't answer that.....

Sheila in MT

Shelia,

are you making the five with certain people in mind?  Or just love a challenge?

Sandy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 325
KathyF replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:06 PM

Thanks for the warning.  I am confused on the first paragraph of this weeks instructions. Do we sew the HST or just mark them?

Kathy F

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:07 PM

Marilyn B, 

Sorry to make extra work for you, but I agree with DH, use the back for a top.  But maybe you can think that it is not extra work to get 2 backs together, but you have moved ahead and have 2 tops done!  

Both are so pretty.  Something about your back makes me think of the Gee Bend quilts style.  

Whatever you decide they will be loved by your grand-twins.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 325
KathyF replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:23 PM

Nancy,

I agree about Step 3. I am confused. I get the 9 patches, but are we suppose to just mark the 2-1/2" squares or sew the light and dark together?

I am also from Minnesota, a couple hours south of you. (Ramsey) it is between Elk River and Anoka.

Have fun. This is my first mystery quilt with this group. I have gone to 3 mystery quilt weekends. It was fun, we sewed for hours at a time.  I was held at a hotel so we could sleep when we wanted.

Kathy F

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 9:52 PM

Having now read step three, I would say we are just marking the line.  Once you get that out of the way, sewing the triangles will go quickly - that will probably be step 4.

Kathy, has spring arrived yet in Ramsey?  There's snow in the forecast for the Brainerd area tonight.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:05 PM

here is a re-post of Gini's post about the squares 

The last sentence in the first paragraph says: and I quote  "set aside your marked squares for now"

gini:

hi all, this is nana-in-training  :  )  

nana is having some technical difficulties.  lewis is remodeling and her router and modem have gone missing.

for the half square triangles,   you only need to draw the line.  DO NOT  cut on the line.

i will keep checking back here until nana is back with you all. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,759
gini replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:11 PM

thanks wendy. 

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,470
Points 24,110

I haven't sewn a stitch on this MQ yet, soi'm way behind. I do have everything cut. I hope to get to sewing next week we are having a shop hop at our LQS this week and I have been working 12 hours a day. I'm too tired to sew!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 933
Points 15,760
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:39 AM

I didn't think I had a prayer of a chance of getting Step 3 done today as I just finished Step 2 last night.  However they are done and am I ever glad.   I think I will go ahead and make up some of the Triangulations as I have the pages printed off.  This way I can be tearing off the paper while I am watching the Mariner BB ganes.

Here is Step 2 finished.

Page 10 of 19 (285 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use