Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

Really nice Martha. I have all my nine patches done and just have to sew them together with the center patch. Here's a picture of the first couple I did. I found that after I sewed the nine patches I had to square them up to 2" before sewing the center. The first set, I had a terrible time getting it to measure out to 5 x 2.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:29 PM

hi all, this is nana-in-training  :  )  

nana is having some technical difficulties.  lewis is remodeling and her router and modem have gone missing.

for the half square triangles,   you only need to draw the line.  DO NOT  cut on the line.

i will keep checking back here until nana is back with you all. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

Bethiebear:

Someone is going to have to fill me in as to what the acronyms you are all using.   Like DH?   What is that?  I can't remember the rest, but all kinds of those things are used all the time.   DIL, I've got, I think = Daughter-in-law.

I know what you mean. Since I only occasionally  use acronyms, I'm also sometimes at a loss. But I do understand they make typing out responses much faster. 

Bethiebear, If you google DH + acronym the meaning will pop up. I suspect there is a website or place to look these things up. I'm accustomed to most of the acronyms being used here, but every once in a while there is something I'm not familiar with.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

gini:
nana is having some technical difficulties.

Nana isn't the only one having technical difficulties. QCA has been down so often this morning I'd about given up trying to get on. I'm glad I printed the instructions last night or I would have been really frustrated this morning.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:48 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Bethiebear:

Someone is going to have to fill me in as to what the acronyms you are all using.   Like DH?   What is that?  I can't remember the rest, but all kinds of those things are used all the time.   DIL, I've got, I think = Daughter-in-law.

I know what you mean. Since I only occasionally  use acronyms, I'm also sometimes at a loss. But I do understand they make typing out responses much faster. 

Bethiebear, If you google DH + acronym the meaning will pop up. I suspect there is a website or place to look these things up. I'm accustomed to most of the acronyms being used here, but every once in a while there is something I'm not familiar with.

Try this:  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/blogs/eqeditor/archive/2010/01/01/quilting-acronyms-tbr.aspx

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:52 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I sewed the nine patches I had to square them up to 2" before sewing the center

I like your colors Judy T. I agree, I had to square up the nine-patches, it takes a little time but otherwise mine were kind of wonky.

Here's my first good one, I'm afraid these will look like a bunch of yellow cabs!

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,780
Points 30,860
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:53 PM

For acronyms....

Or this link under the FAQ on your home page:

omg roflol what does it all mean.aspx

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:00 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Nana isn't the only one having technical difficulties. QCA has been down so often this morning I'd about given up trying to get on. I'm glad I printed the instructions last night or I would have been really frustrated this morning.

i couldn't get on yesterday until the afternoon.   then it was working like lightening.   i haven't had  trouble getting on  this morning, but it's back to slow. 

it would be nice if they would forewarn us when the site is going to be down.  i posted a message on facebook yesterday if anyone was gettin on.   admin answered today that the site was down for 4 hours this morning. i think it was down for hours yesterday, too.  i sure hope they get the technical difficulties ironed out soon.   we are losing a lot of members.  

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

OK, I'm issuing a warning so others don't do the really stupid thing I just did.

I took my 72 nine patches and have been happily chain stitching the center patch to all of them. Well, suddenly I realized I didn't have enough nine patches to sew on the other side of the center patch. 

Evidently we have a bunch of the center patch set left over and don't use them all in this week's lesson?

So, count out 36 nine patch's before starting to stitch the center block to them. Stitch the center patch, square up and THEN attach the other 36 to the other side. I now have a pile of nine patches to frog. I don't want this to happen to anyone else although I'm sure I'm the only one that was so oblivious and didn't pay attention to what I was doing.

Here I go a ribbiting........

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:08 PM

Prairiemom:
Oh my gosh I am so far behind

Prairiemom - you are not alone. I just got my strips sewed yesterday but still need to cut them out.  afraid I'm going to have to trim each up first to 2" before I begin cutting.  I had the hardest time sewing them and finally just said, "Forget it! I'll sew them all and themn trim."  I know now why I have avoided quilts with many little pieces - no patience for them.  I like big pieces much better but I WILL stick with this and get it done. 

Don't remember who it is that's doing 5 quilts at once but she's CRAZY! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,845

I love the colors everyone has chosen.  I have been working on mine and I am checking the measurement on each nine patch and finished 2x5 strip as I go.  I will be away from my sewing maching for almost 2 weeks, so I am trying to get as much done now as I can.  I don't want to be too far behind when I get back to it.

Martha, Parker, CO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

gini:
 i sure hope they get the technical difficulties ironed out soon.   we are losing a lot of members.  

Yup, that's for sure. Very frustrating. I do love this site, it has the most information, best members and such a wonderful variety. But I haven't recommended it to people in my quilt guild or on my own facebook page because of all the technical difficulties. And, yes, I have sent emails to Admin about that very thing.

Someday...........

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:17 PM

Sheila:
Here are all my MQ8 quilt crumbs, all nestled snugly in their beds.  Towards the end of the cutting stage, I was slicing 18 strips at a time!  No, not stacked 18 deep, but staggered across the cutting board in an elaborate setup with weights and bars and rulers and who-knows-what!  It was very gutsy, but it worked!

Sheila - I hope you know where I said you were CRAZY, I meant it lovingly. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:20 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I have all my nine patches done and just have to sew them together with the center patch

WOW!  Judy, you are fast.  I just printed out Step 3!  Of course, I am at work today so it will be tomorrow or Sunday before I get to do this step, after I finish completing Step 2, cutting them into 2" and 1" strips.

Love your colors!  really starting to see the contrast better than just with pics of the fabric.  Great job everyone!

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

OMS! Some of you are so fast!  I just got the last of my strips sewn last night (after being without a machine most of the week) and I'll be cutting tonight. With any luck I'll get the cutting DONE tonight, so tomorrow I can sew the 9 patches. These are so tiny!

• Post Points: 50
Page 9 of 19 (285 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use