Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

OMG!!!  That's soooo funny ~ rip it, rip it, rip it!!!   This quilting thing is going to be an awful lot of fun!!!!  When looking up the acronyms that were on here, I found out there is SEX in quilting!!!  I told my special friend, Billy,  I'm taking up a new hobby and don't worry there is SEX involved!  He quickly replied..."I'm in!!!"

Stash Enhancement Experience!! 

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:10 PM

Bethiebear:

OMG!!!  That's soooo funny ~ rip it, rip it, rip it!!!   This quilting thing is going to be an awful lot of fun!!!!  When looking up the acronyms that were on here, I found out there is SEX in quilting!!!  I told my special friend, Billy,  I'm taking up a new hobby and don't worry there is SEX involved!  He quickly replied..."I'm in!!!"

Stash Enhancement Experience!! 

I'm going to have to inform my special friend about the SEX in quilting too! What does that stand for anyway?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:44 PM

I made good progress sewing step 2 today....  not done, but I'm pleased with the measurements.

Pictures in another day or two.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:50 PM

Debbie:

MNnancy:
in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter,  she showed us that if you take 2 of your strips,  one face down and one face up, then lock the middle seam together the way you do when you are sewing two sets of squares together, this will keep them from shifting when you cut them

expain lock the middle seam together the way you do when sewing squares together

It was actually Donna who posted this tip, but I believe she means nestling the seams together so that they don't shift while you're cutting.  Here's a photo I found on Google.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:21 PM

MNnancy:

It was actually Donna who posted this tip, but I believe she means nestling the seams together so that they don't shift while you're cutting.  Here's a photo I found on Google.

Ok, I understand when you have seams but when sewing strips, I'm not able to get a visual on what you mean

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

LOL Sandy!   Makes for an interesting conversation! 

Stash Enhancement eXperience!!   However, someone else will have to tell us what that means, because I do NOT have a clue!!   hehehehehehe

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:26 PM

Ok...finally I am done with the strips and cutting, took me all day...now I can get some quilting done on my sister's quilt....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:40 PM

Great colors!!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:47 PM

Nana,

I've sewn & cut all my pieces and ended up with 9 light strips left from my 72, is that correct or did I cut too many?

Having fun...thank you, Lisa C

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 530

Hello ladies,

Looks like the scant 1/4 inch has been interesting.

I was in the hospital for 6 days and all I could think about was the step 2 instructions coming out last friday and worry about getting behind. LOL does this mean I'm obsessive? I'm going to tackle sewing my strips toghether today. I hope to get them done. Leaving for a mini vacation with my daughter and family Thurs, back Sunday. Can't wait to check out the quilt shop in East Grand Forks! :)

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:28 AM

Bethiebear:

Stash Enhancement eXperience!!

Very funny.  I can see my DH's expression now.   Where are you going?  To the store for SEX!  Perhaps the LQS should put up a sign, "get your SEX here!"  

now I never will be able to enter a quilt shop without thinking about SEX.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:31 AM

wow.  some great color combinations.  It is so fun to see what everyone is doing. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:38 PM

Debbie:

MNnancy:

Ok, I understand when you have seams but when sewing strips, I'm not able to get a visual on what you mean. 

Well, I'm on the cutting step now, and I can't nest/lock seams when cutting the 2" squares of the dark,light,dark because their seams aren't going opposite directions even if I lay one face up and one face down.

This does work, however, for the 1" cuts if you layer a dark,light,dark with a light,dark,light because their seams go opposite directions and they will nest.

The cutting isn't difficult using the June Tailer Shape Cut slotted tool whichever way you stack them.  The sewing & pressing is the time-consuming part of step 2.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 1:41 PM

Done with step two!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 1:43 PM

Ha, ha!  I just noticed something funny...

Look at the colors I'm using in MQ8, and look at MQ5 that I'm holding in my avatar pic.  Do I like red and cream, or what?

• Post Points: 35
Page 6 of 19 (285 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use