rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 10:00 PM

Donna:
in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter,  she showed us that if you take 2 of your strips,  one face down and one face up, then lock the middle seam together the way you do when you are sewing two sets of squares together, this will keep them from shifting when you cut them;

Thanks for sharing that tip, Donna!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,060
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 10:35 PM

ya thanks Donna will give it try

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 11:41 PM

Glad to share the tip.  Hope it works for all of yall.  Step 2 is completed.  here is the pic.  Again the colors are plum and lavender  even though they dont look it.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:57 AM

Judy

I don't know the numbers right off.   As long as you get 8  1" segments out of each strip set and then get 4  2" segments out of each strip set the numbers will be right.   Just follow the instructions for the number of strip sets for each.  

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Hi Sandy!  I'm a newbie with this quilting thingy too, so I'm always looking for any and all ideas.   I was so nervous about this step, I made sure to read each and every post before I started.   I tried many of the ideas, including yours, but had too much trouble.  Guess I needed to be a little more detailed in my process.

What I ended up doing was sewing the first two strips together, press, measure to make sure it was 1-1/2" wide (3/4" each color), then sewed the last strip.  Yes, this was absolutely a painstaking process for me, but it seemed to be the most accurate for me.  So, whatever works, right!!

The whole process, sewing, pressing and cutting took me about 8 hours.  It certainly didn't feel like 8 hours, so I guess that's a good thing.   As long as it was fun, and, to be quite honest, I was excited when each strip measured 2"!!!  I only had to take out two strips and redo them, but that was because of my own cockiness and thought I could rush it. 

I'm already for the next step ~ ummmmm....maybe!!  I'm really nervous about these itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny pieces!!  Yikes!!  

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,463
Points 116,620

Bethiebear:
What I ended up doing was sewing the first two strips together, press, measure to make sure it was 1-1/2" wide (3/4" each color), then sewed the last strip.  Yes, this was absolutely a painstaking process for me, but it seemed to be the most accurate for me.  So, whatever works, right!!

This is also the method I used.Y es, a bit time consuming but I also found it the easiest and most accurate. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 4:19 PM

Thanks Bethiebear and Judy!  I don't mind going slowly if the results are good!  Even after almost 4 years of quilting, a consistent scant 1/4 inch seam is still a challenge to me.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:10 PM

Bethiebear:

I'm already for the next step ~ ummmmm....maybe!!  I'm really nervous about these itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny pieces!!  Yikes!!  

Hi Beth,

I did first do a lot of measuring :)  sewed the first few one at a time to make sure they stayed at the 2 inches needed.   I have a 1/4 foot for my machine and was also able to move the needle over just a tiny bit and that gave me that scant 1/4 inch.  I did it with paper for awhile first and kept measuring till it seemed right THEN tried on fabric (after I changed the needle :)   

but once sure of the 2 inches then I chained them but would still check with each batch :) 

and yes! I'm ready too :)   

Sandy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:27 PM

So, Nana, are you saying it's more important to have just 2" wide on the strips?  Or, is the 1/2" in the middle going to be critical for aligning later?  did I ask that so you could understand my question? 

I thought about just cutting my strips to 2" and not being so concerned about the 1/2" in the center - will that work?  I mean I tried to get it there but it's not precise, so will it still work.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:28 PM

I think I may have to do some frogging and try your way, Bethiebear.  that sounds like it would work best for me, too.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Ok, I need some help.... < frogging > ???  What does that mean??   lol

I was excited about the results, although I am worried about the 1/2" in the middle, but, hey....this is my first one.   If there are something that don't match up perfectly ~ well, everyone will be able to tell that I made it!!!   hehehehehehe

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 9:30 PM

MNnancy:
in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter,  she showed us that if you take 2 of your strips,  one face down and one face up, then lock the middle seam together the way you do when you are sewing two sets of squares together, this will keep them from shifting when you cut them

expain lock the middle seam together the way you do when sewing squares together

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 9:32 PM

Bethiebear:
, I need some help.... < frogging > ???  What does that mean??   lol

frogging is what we call taking out the seams or undoing the work you just did - you know,. rip it, rip it, rip it! 

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 9:41 PM

Debbie:

frogging is what we call taking out the seams or undoing the work you just did - you know,. rip it, rip it, rip it! 

ROTFL, I frog a lot when making quilts, just don't pay attention to what I am doing, too busy watching TV or maybe the wine, not sure.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 9:50 PM

Debbie:

Bethiebear:
, I need some help.... < frogging > ???  What does that mean??   lol

Ok I actually LOL !

Page 5 of 19 (285 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use