Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:16 PM

Donna,  Thanks for the tip.  I usually only cut one strip at a time but the next opportunity I get I will give it a try.  I have a feeling it will come soon.  LOL

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:23 PM

Thanks Beve.  I'm gonna use the time till the next step to work on my paper piecing projects.  I'm way behind on them....  I was going to use baggies but the baskets were there and empty...  LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:28 PM

quiltcrone:

I got all the dark-light-dark strips sewn, and 3 of the light-dark-light... and my machine crapped out on me. Strange noises, lots of knots on the back, sucking in the fabric. Cleaning it has fixed these issues in the past but I've had it apart twice to clean today & still doing it. :-( So I guess it's off to the hospital on Monday. Hopefully I'll get her back before I get too far behind. 

Oh no.  How awful.  I know you will miss her while she is getting well.  I will hope for her speedy recovery.  At least you can begin the cutting of the strips that you completed. :-)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:36 PM

vickiebrown1954:

Debbie and Dara, your strips look great and I love your fabric choices. I'm really envious of your progress.  Well back to the tedious process of getting these 1" strips sewn together.  

Piecefully Quilting, Vicki

Thanks Vickie.  It really didn't seem to take to long ( a couple of hours ) to do the sewing.  I felt like it took a lot longer to do the cutting...

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:41 PM

Sandy:

Hello,

I still consider myself a beginner so this is new to me... so I found how to make it a bit easier for me and thought I would share, so if this is not the proper quilting way please excuse me :)  

I was sewing the dark light dark together and then pressing and felt like I was kindof fighting with the pressing part.. so I sewed a dark to light and then thought just chain sew them and did about 5 of those , then pressed then went back and sewed the final dark to that set and found the pressing went much nicer :)

hope that helps someone else, and I have just made about 22 of those so far hahaha   I am going for accurate not speed (at least that's the story I'm telling)

Sandy

That's what I did too.  Then when I got bored with that I'd sew the third strip on.  I switched back & forth to mix it up, chaining the whole while.  It seemed to make the time go faster.  Probably just my imagination but it made me feel better. LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:45 PM

Sheila:

Hopefully, I can get to my 5 MQ8's by Monday, if no more quilting jobs come in; I would rather do my own stuff for awhile!

Sheila in MT

I am in awe.  I can't imagine doing five at once.  It just boggles my mind.  I saw your fabrics earlier and they were great. I can't wait to see how they come together.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:52 PM

Marilyn B:

I got my strips cut before heading the Ann Arbor to see DS this weekend.  While there I went to this great little shop on State Street called Quality Quilting.  The gal was great.  There was also a girl there who had been working on a quilt for a year.  It is large, it is appliqued with blocks of musical insturments that are absolutely beautiful, bird sitting on a flute, a harp, musical clefts around the border.  I wish I could have taken a picture to show you guys, it was so amazing.  Anyway here is my step 2.  Not quite as amazing as the music applique quilt  I found if I cut the strip to 8 inches and then worked backward an inch at a time my hand resting on the long piece under the ruler kept it from shifting too much.

Looking good Marilyn!    The musical quilt sounds fabulous.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:09 PM

Ok then..... wow that was a lot of cutting.... and while I was cutting the 1 inch, I just thought I have tossed bigger "scraps" than this LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,592
Points 118,865

Sandy:
nd while I was cutting the 1 inch, I just thought I have tossed bigger "scraps" than this LOL

Funny Sandy.  The same thought went through my mind. I'm anxious to see the next step although I'm not sure I looking forward to seeing these teeny little things together

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,120
bootz864 replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:34 PM

HAHAHA  I was thinking the same thing Sandy!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:35 PM

Marilyn,

I really like that red & black.  Going to be beautiful!

Beve

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:33 PM

I have finished my cutting, I have 9 light strips left over, is that right?

The color is not quite right,  teal & lime....

I'm looking forward to the next step.....

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 570
Points 10,120
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:29 PM

Really like your colors Lisa C. I am sure my son would just love them too.. I also like the red and black, and the one that looks like brown and white,.. and the other black one. All looking so good

Well I still didn't get the last of my cutting done. Guess if I don't get it done to soon I don't to tackle those one inch strips sewn together lol. No really I had a great day and did something even better then cutting material. Before my DDL left to go back to Portland for school, I approached her and said I had been thinking of what to get her for her up coming B day. yap your right.. we headed to the store to buy 2 yd and 3 yd of contrasting, reading solid fabric. She is as bad as me in choosing colors, (wants them all). She doesn't have anything to cut with yet so we spent the afternoon getting all hers cut up before she left(also while I was trying to make Easter dinner). Later I remember that there was a cut after the first sewing. So I pulled my son a side and told him what she needed for her b day. But not long after that she was asking what she need the most to start with. Boy was she tired after all the cutting. I told her the cutting is sometimes the worse part. Oh and we had a blast trying to figure out how to set her up, seeing how I am left handed So I have my own way , especially seeing how I can cut with what ever hand is handiest. 

So she will be joining our little big group here. She is going to need all our help and support, especially through the first step of sewing. I told her that it would be the worse I sure hope I was right.

Well they have headed back and I miss them already. It was a beautiful weekend here in the PNW, hope everyone had a great weekend and a wonderful Easter

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 570
Points 10,120
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:32 PM

PS. probably good idea I am teaching her because my son asked me if he sent me a pattern, could I... DDL said oh he has about 20 quilt patterns he thinks would be cool quilts. LOL ( he is an engineer major, and playing with all that math and shapes all the time LOL)

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:36 PM

Just want to share a pic of my step 2 pieces since I'm done cutting!  Gonna see if I can get a better pic during the day tomorrow & post it on the media tab.

Page 4 of 19 (285 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use