Thanks, Leslie, I see it now.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 8:40 AM

ls2116:

I just sewed practise scrap 1" strips using Janome 6600P with little foot and I'm barely at 2".  Definitely a step not to do when tired also I think I'll slow machine speed for this step.

I've sewn two with my Bernina and have yet to get 2". This step may take me longer than a week!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 2:51 PM

Well mine aren't neatly stacked like Debbie's (Debbie, I love your fabric combo. so cute) are but they are done :-)   

I had some trouble keeping the fabric from shifting as I cut these little guys.  I think it is because of the hump in the middle from the seams and so little flat area at the edge.  It seemed to help me to cut sections of 2+ or 3+ inches at a time and then sub cut some more.  Not sure why, maybe it is all in my head. I'm sure glad there was that half inch extra to work with, it gave me room to straighten up the edges as needed.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 3:07 PM

like your colors Dora

As for me i still have some cutting to do. I have my light (but really my dark, mine is reversed) cut but need to iron my dark still. My son is here for spring break from Portland and I just not feeling like doing it.  And it is an awesome day outside. Did get some yard work done. That also was way over do. but I am pretty sure I will be caught up before the next step is out ( I hope anyway)

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 4:04 PM

Thanks for the compliments on my fabric choices.  My friend's daughter was here yesterday so I swore her to secrecy and showed her what I'm up to.  Her eyes lit up when she saw the cherry fabric and assured me her mom is going to LOVE it!  :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 5:13 PM

Dara,  in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter,  she showed us that if you take 2 of your strips,  one face down and one face up, then lock the middle seam together the way you do when you are sewing two sets of squares together, this will keep them from shifting when you cut them;.  It works for me.

Donna

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 5:28 PM

Dara,

That is looking good!  The baskets are a great idea.  Looks like I'm going to start on my step 2 tonight.  Pretty excited!

Beve

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

I got all the dark-light-dark strips sewn, and 3 of the light-dark-light... and my machine crapped out on me. Strange noises, lots of knots on the back, sucking in the fabric. Cleaning it has fixed these issues in the past but I've had it apart twice to clean today & still doing it. :-( So I guess it's off to the hospital on Monday. Hopefully I'll get her back before I get too far behind. 

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 710
jadavn replied on Sat, Mar 30 2013 10:59 PM

Nana

I just want to double check that I am cutting correctly. How many of each type of piece should we have when finished? Thanks.

San Jose, CA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85

Debbie and Dara, your strips look great and I love your fabric choices. I'm really envious of your progress.  Well back to the tedious process of getting these 1" strips sewn together.  

Piecefully Quilting, Vicki

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 12:05 AM

Hello,

I still consider myself a beginner so this is new to me... so I found how to make it a bit easier for me and thought I would share, so if this is not the proper quilting way please excuse me :)  

I was sewing the dark light dark together and then pressing and felt like I was kindof fighting with the pressing part.. so I sewed a dark to light and then thought just chain sew them and did about 5 of those , then pressed then went back and sewed the final dark to that set and found the pressing went much nicer :)

hope that helps someone else, and I have just made about 22 of those so far hahaha   I am going for accurate not speed (at least that's the story I'm telling)

Sandy

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:24 AM

Sandy,

That is a great way of doing strips, although I will probably chain sew all 45 dark/light strip sets, press, then go back and add the 3rd dark or light to each of them. 

This only works if you are sure about the 2" final width and happy with the 1/4" seam or you are gonna be ripping out a lifetime of seams, and nobody has the patience for that!

Hopefully, I can get to my 5 MQ8's by Monday, if no more quilting jobs come in; I would rather do my own stuff for awhile!

Sheila in MT

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 1:16 PM

I got my strips cut before heading the Ann Arbor to see DS this weekend.  While there I went to this great little shop on State Street called Quality Quilting.  The gal was great.  There was also a girl there who had been working on a quilt for a year.  It is large, it is appliqued with blocks of musical insturments that are absolutely beautiful, bird sitting on a flute, a harp, musical clefts around the border.  I wish I could have taken a picture to show you guys, it was so amazing.  Anyway here is my step 2.  Not quite as amazing as the music applique quilt  I found if I cut the strip to 8 inches and then worked backward an inch at a time my hand resting on the long piece under the ruler kept it from shifting too much.

Paris, Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:14 PM

Thanks Tami.  Mine is reversed too.  I'm sure that you will be caught up in no time.  We had a great Saturday too. It got up to 60 with lots of sunshine.  Today is entirely different.  It is 52 but cloudy and rainy all day.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Page 3 of 19 (285 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use