rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:27 PM

Bear Angel:

I have decided to post the material I am using along with a picture showing that I have cut everything out. Also it shows that I have my Ta Das ready to go. Actually I have already sewn and cut one section already. I first learned to use them when I made the "Christmas Pickle" quilt that has 480 HST in it.

Great fabrics Bear Angle!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 220

Beautiful fabric!  I don't know what you mean by your tadaas. Can you explain?  Also, how can I post my fabrics, etc?  I tried and it said access denied.  Do I just post it as if I am replying to someone else's post.  I posted my introduction and fabrics on the thread for introduce yourself, but no one has responded at all so I don't think I put it in the right thread.  I don't understand why there are 3 threads listed..Can someone please help me so I can become more a part of the group?  Thanks, Janis

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,138
Points 40,880
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:16 PM

Sheila:

Some of the things I did to save fabric:  the first 2 "dark" cuts can be done in one strip...make the cut 12-1/2 in. by WOF, turn and slice 2 of the 12" blocks (turn them again and slice off the extra 1/2 in)....open up the remainder and slice the last 12" block (trim off the extra 1/2")....you are left with 12-1/2" by whatever...slice that to 6-1/4 wide, turn and cut that in half and voila!, "dark" cut 1 and cut 2 done with very little waste.

Another one:  the 1" x 8-1/2" pieces...slice two 8-1/2" by WOF strips, stack together, turn and slice the 1" pieces...the leftover piece will give you enough for the eight 2-7/8" squares plus some of the 2-1/2" squares.

Same with the 2-1/2" x 8" pieces:  cut three 8" by WOF strips, stack them and slice off the 2-1/2" chunks...the leftovers are good for a bunch of 2" squares of the "light" cuts.

I just merrily cut stuff up, then cut whatever I could from the leftovers, and had very little waste left.  It didn't take me very long because I will stack up to 10 layers at a time but I do not recommend doing this if you are cutting the usual way...I have an Alto's QuiltCut system that makes stacking easier.  I have to do everything one-handed because MS took away the use of my left arm and hand, so I am always looking for ways to streamline everything and make it easier and quicker.

Hope these hints help someone else!

Thanks Sheila.  I thought about cutting the large strip and cutting the small off of it but I chickened out.  I did not have much waste doing it the way it was written but that could have been because of the width of my fabric.  I think the biggest waste was cutting the 1" x8" peices.  I will remember it for next time.  I don't usually cut more than 6 layers and only if I have a fresh blade.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 220

Well maybe I figured it out after all.  This works differently from Blackboard that is used by so many of the universities.. I am Janis and I live in Garland, TX.  I have 4 grown children and 6 grandchildren.  I have been quilting for about 10 years and was addicted from the start.  This is not my first mystery quilt, however it is the first with QCA and the first in a very long time.  I was determined to use fabric from my stash since I was not aware of what the finished product would be like.  I have been actively trying to organize scraps for future scrap quilts and trying to use some of my stash in order to be a good steward of my fabric (and to make room for more :-)  I am having to be very disciplined to not rush out and buy more fabric when I see some of the beautiful selections that so many of you have.  I found enough red and white for the body of my quilt and have it all cut and ready to go.  I have 2 fabrics that I am considering for the border, but have not made a decision on which one yet.  I have also considered getting a red, white, and blue patriotic print for the border.  I am also considering using this quilt as a tablecloth.  I think it will be just about the right size to use on my dining table.  I look forward to watching your quilts progress as we work through the process together.  I am attaching my fabric choices.  Let me know what you think.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 8:29 PM

Janis, welcome to the club!! This is such a fun group to be involved with.  I have been on a few other quilt blogs, but everyone is so friendly and helpful on this one!! I love your colors you have chosen.  Welcome from a fellow Texan!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 220

Thanks Michelle. What part of Texas?  

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 9:21 PM

Northwest of San Antonio, the blue bonnets are lovely!!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 9:22 PM

Janis

You  can post your fabrics in either thread.   You just post like you are replying to someone else's post.   One of the threads...Introduce yourself.... is so that everyone can tell us a little about themselves.   This just helps me get to know everyone.   This thread is meant to be used to ask questions about the cutting instructions.   There is also a thread for general discussion that should be used for all of our general chit chat.   With each new step I will open a new thread for questions regarding that specific step.   This helps me keep up with who needs help.    I hope that this helps explain the group a little better.

All posts are done by clicking on reply on a previous post.   I am the only one that can open new discussion threads in this group.   This helps keep things a bit more organized for me so that I don't miss anyone's questions.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 11:14 PM

Hi Janis!  Welcome!  I'm in Texas too.  Glad you're joining us.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:01 AM

Hello Janis, Michelle & Debbie-do!  I'm in San Antonio!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:32 AM

Hi beve99!  You're just right up the road!  What's your favorite SA quilt shop?

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,085
ls2116 replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:00 AM

Now its me with the question on HST.  Just cut7 (2 1/2" ) strips x wof subcut into 2 1/2' squares then cut diagonal and Hst comes up short 1 3/4" guess I better recut?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:08 PM

Is

Don't cut the squares on the diagonal at this time.   Just cut the 2 1/2" squares.   This will be explained as we get to that step.   These squares are going to work just fine.   Don't worry about the HST part yet.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 125
Kathy replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:20 PM

Hello to all of you Texans! I'm just off I-35 in Waco!

Kathy

Waco, Texas

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 220

Oh, I am so enviious of the bluebonnets. We get some up this way, but not like you do in the Hill Ciuntry. It looks as if we Texas girls are spread all up and down  I35. 

Page 20 of 21 (314 items) «Prev1718192021Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use