Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 7:09 PM

Thanks Ginny for the help! That worked. Now I can post my material for this MQ8! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 10:57 PM

Here is my pile of MQ8's...all 5 of them!  (I couldn't settle for just one combination so I used all my choices. With a few cutting tricks I only used about 1-1/3 yd. for the dark cuts and 1-2/3 yd. for the light cuts.   These 5 sets only took me 2 days to cut, so now what do I do until Friday????  Back to my UFO's, I guess.

Sheila in MT

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:43 PM

Sheila:
These 5 sets only took me 2 days to cut, so now what do I do until Friday???? 

Wow Sheila,

you could come cut mine. I'm done with what I'm using for dark but haven't gotten to the light yet.

Pretty fabrics.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85

Greetings everyone and a special thank you to Nana for leading the MQ8 project! My name is Vicki. I live in south central Missouri and I've been a quilter since 1996. I have enjoyed reading the discussions, questions, and pictures of your fabric choices.  This is my first Mystery Quilt with QCA and I am looking forward to the challenge and the experience.  Attached is a picture of my fabric choices which arrived in the mail yesterday.  Please let me know what you think. 

Piecefully Quilting, Vicki 

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:10 AM

Sheila:
With a few cutting tricks I only used about 1-1/3 yd. for the dark cuts and 1-2/3 yd. for the light cuts.  
Sheila I am intregued can you share your cutting tricks?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 93
Points 645
Jayhawker replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:08 AM

I really like the PoP fabric on the right, the bright is so pretty.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 93
Points 645
Jayhawker replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:12 AM

Karla your fabric selection is nice...really like the border...is says WOW!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:36 AM

Hi Vicki, welcome to MQ8

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 10:57 AM

Marilyn B:

Sheila:
With a few cutting tricks I only used about 1-1/3 yd. for the dark cuts and 1-2/3 yd. for the light cuts.  

Some of the things I did to save fabric:  the first 2 "dark" cuts can be done in one strip...make the cut 12-1/2 in. by WOF, turn and slice 2 of the 12" blocks (turn them again and slice off the extra 1/2 in)....open up the remainder and slice the last 12" block (trim off the extra 1/2")....you are left with 12-1/2" by whatever...slice that to 6-1/4 wide, turn and cut that in half and voila!, "dark" cut 1 and cut 2 done with very little waste.

Another one:  the 1" x 8-1/2" pieces...slice two 8-1/2" by WOF strips, stack together, turn and slice the 1" pieces...the leftover piece will give you enough for the eight 2-7/8" squares plus some of the 2-1/2" squares.

Same with the 2-1/2" x 8" pieces:  cut three 8" by WOF strips, stack them and slice off the 2-1/2" chunks...the leftovers are good for a bunch of 2" squares of the "light" cuts.

I just merrily cut stuff up, then cut whatever I could from the leftovers, and had very little waste left.  It didn't take me very long because I will stack up to 10 layers at a time but I do not recommend doing this if you are cutting the usual way...I have an Alto's QuiltCut system that makes stacking easier.  I have to do everything one-handed because MS took away the use of my left arm and hand, so I am always looking for ways to streamline everything and make it easier and quicker.

Hope these hints help someone else!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 389
Points 7,755
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 12:09 PM

Welcome Vicki, your fabrics are really pretty!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 1:39 PM

Vickie

I love your fabrics.  Especially that beautiful border fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 180

I have decided to post the material I am using along with a picture showing that I have cut everything out. Also it shows that I have my Ta Das ready to go. Actually I have already sewn and cut one section already. I first learned to use them when I made the "Christmas Pickle" quilt that has 480 HST in it.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:28 PM

Bear Angel

Have fun Ta Da ing......LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:21 PM

vickiebrown1954:

Greetings everyone and a special thank you to Nana for leading the MQ8 project! My name is Vicki. I live in south central Missouri and I've been a quilter since 1996. I have enjoyed reading the discussions, questions, and pictures of your fabric choices.  This is my first Mystery Quilt with QCA and I am looking forward to the challenge and the experience.  Attached is a picture of my fabric choices which arrived in the mail yesterday.  Please let me know what you think. 

Piecefully Quilting, Vicki 

Welcome to the group Vickie.  Your fabrics are beautiful; especially the large floral.  You'll have a wonderful quilt when we get to the end.  I'm glad you decided to join us.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:25 PM

Sheila:

Marilyn B:

Sheila:

Some of the things I did to save fabric:  the first 2 "dark" cuts can be done in one strip...make the cut 12-1/2 in. by WOF, turn and slice 2 of the 12" blocks (turn them again and slice off the extra 1/2 in)....open up the remainder and slice the last 12" block (trim off the extra 1/2")....you are left with 12-1/2" by whatever...slice that to 6-1/4 wide, turn and cut that in half and voila!, "dark" cut 1 and cut 2 done with very little waste.

Another one:  the 1" x 8-1/2" pieces...slice two 8-1/2" by WOF strips, stack together, turn and slice the 1" pieces...the leftover piece will give you enough for the eight 2-7/8" squares plus some of the 2-1/2" squares.

Same with the 2-1/2" x 8" pieces:  cut three 8" by WOF strips, stack them and slice off the 2-1/2" chunks...the leftovers are good for a bunch of 2" squares of the "light" cuts.

I just merrily cut stuff up, then cut whatever I could from the leftovers, and had very little waste left.  It didn't take me very long because I will stack up to 10 layers at a time but I do not recommend doing this if you are cutting the usual way...I have an Alto's QuiltCut system that makes stacking easier.  I have to do everything one-handed because MS took away the use of my left arm and hand, so I am always looking for ways to streamline everything and make it easier and quicker.

Hope these hints help someone else!

Sheila,  I did the same.  Like you said, it can be done with very little waste.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Page 19 of 21 (314 items) «Prev1718192021Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use