Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,822
Points 67,945
Bonita replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:47 PM

Donna, both are pretty, but I like the  bolder one. I used it in the quilt top I made at the retreat.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 500
Points 10,050
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 7:49 AM

great fabric...the one one the right does POP....just me but I like it best...I'm an anything purple person.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:37 AM

Donna, I really love the one on the right side, beautiful fabric. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 694
Points 13,230
Michelle replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 10:27 AM
Have to say I'm very excited about my first mystery quilt. Haven't cut the material yet as we have been vacationing in Big Bend all week. But I have worked on another quilt while here in the RV. Will cut next weekend after getting home. Found the most beautiful dark purple and lighter green coordinating fabrics Think they will work perfectly on this quilt. Found them in the cutest quilt shop in Wichita Kansas, 2 weeks ago. They were the friendliest quilt shop I've ever been in. You could hear them laughing fr the street. Just made my day, and then to find the perfect fabric! Wow. They were in quilt world Magazine as one of the top 10 quilt shops in the US. Didn't know that til I go there. Found 4 quilt shops in that town that were fabulous! Grandma's quilt shop is going out if business so everything was 40% off! Did I stock up?!! Yes!! As much as my carry-on suitcase would hold!! Have had a problem posting pics to this site this last week, though. When I try to upload the photo I get that my file is too big for this site? Any suggestions? I took the pics from my iPhone. Is that the problem?

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:44 AM

Picked my colors, but not sure on border.  Love them both.  The colors do match much better than the photo shows, especially the bees and the flower centers, the background is a darker taupe - looks gray here to me.  The one on the left is beautiful, but will have to be pretty wide to get all the beauty of it in.  Any opinions?

I am going to use the blue as the light and the yellow as the dark because I want more blue in the quilt.  I have also decided to us thangles for my HST and cut down to size.  

Loving every body's color picks.  It will be so nice to see them all done.  Hope I can finally get cutting tomorrow!

So excited - this is my first MQ.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,359
Points 28,610
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:03 PM

fzytwo:
I am going to use the blue as the light and the yellow as the dark because I want more blue in the quilt.

If you want to emphasize the blue, I think the one on the right would be best.  The one on the left might overpower the blue because there is so much yellow in it. Both are beautiful fabrics and both would work with your colors.  The yellow would make it a more sunny quilt and the right would be cooler looking colors.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,585
Points 26,580
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:30 PM

Wow!  some great fabric choices, I feel rather Plain Jane with my solid old purple and WOW.  but I can still make it spectacular with the border, which I am going to wait and let the quilt tell me what it wants. 

Ya'll are all so creative and expressive!  I am impressed.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Hi Nana --

How many 1" x 8.5" segments do we need?

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Debbie -- I'm doing purple and white too.  My border fabric though is what I'm hoping makes the purple and white stand out.

Debbie:

well, mine look so plain after seeing some of ya'lls but they are what they are.  the white is a WOW and the dark is actually purple, not dark blue.  I decided to switch the dark and light so we'll see how it comes out. 

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 1:22 AM

Kristin (KAlbrecht):
How many 1" x 8.5" segments do we need?

Kristin

You will need 72 strips of each color.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:52 AM

Jean and Quiltcrone I just love your color/fabric choices. I was just telling myself that I needed to make a spring , early summer quilt for my bed. I have my fabrics, but not cut. cause there is a UFO in my way. Starting to second guess my colors. My son didnt think that one of them fit in... yea, great the quilt is for him. but I am thinking he just isn't envisioning what I am  LOL. .....

well off to get that UFO out of my way so I can get some cutting done before my middle boy gets in town on spring break

Take care all

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,500
Christine replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:34 AM

Hi, Bayla!

No, unfortunately the group was there to watch the Cardinals play (not unfortunately, because I love the team as well...) But I did google local quilt shops ( just on the if-come we had some extra time) and saw that shop. We go down pretty much every year, so I will make a plan to stop by there next year!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,500
Christine replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:37 AM

Debbie, I'm going plain as well with a mottled black and white, but I have a perfect border picked out, but like you, I'm going to wait until were nearly finished to see if it works LOL!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,891
Points 32,790
Roxana replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 12:23 PM

Nana, I just read something on another Discussion Board that prompted me to ask you a question about STEP 2. I don't need the answer until then but I was afraid I'd forget my question if I waited. What color thread do you recommend for piecing? I usually use a gray but do I need to use a color that more resembles one of my fabrics? Or does it need to be a light or dark gray? Sorry to be asking ahead but with so many of us new to quilting I thought you might want to answer this question in the Step 2 instructions. Thanks ahead of time!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 2:44 PM

I'm still trying to decide which fabric to use, I have some ordered that should be here tomorrow, but I was reading thru the cutting instructions,  If my fabric is 44" that will yield 5 pieces per 1"cut,   it says to cut 13 strips for the 8.5 " pieces, that will be 65. so do we need 65 or 72?

Page 15 of 21 (314 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use