Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:44 PM

Here's a pretty good video showing that same process.

Squaring Fabric

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,382
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:13 PM

There's also a discussion and picture tutorial under the discussions at Fabric Swap.

Fabric Swaps » Discussions » fabric cutting is essential to better swaps and sewing

That's the discussion you want.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

Thank you, everyone! I'm a visual/tactile learner, so I'm thinking the video especially will help. My fabrics are yardage, 3-4 yards each, so maybe I'll cut them into smaller pieces first, like maybe a yard. Everyone here is so helpful. I really appreciate your experience.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:41 PM

Nana:

Mamahen

Those 1" strips are some of the first we will be using in block construction.   You may want to go ahead and cut them.

So far I've only cut up my 'dark' fabric which for me is orange.  I'm a pre-washer, so my fabric was 2 inches shy of 2 yards. I didn't cut the 6 1/4 inch strip since I could get the blocks I needed from what was left of the 12 inch strip. I couldn't face cutting all of those long skinny 1 inch wide strips, so I cut a couple of 8 1/2 inch strips, trimmed off the selvedges of the folded fabric and then sliced off my 1 inch strips 2 at a time. I had only a sliver of fabric left when I got to the end of the strip. I was surprised to find that after cutting all of my 'dark' fabric, I still have 26 inches of uncut fabric left!   My 'light' fabric is a black/grey print.  I have over 3 yards of it and wanted to use it up.  It is all starched, pressed, and ready to cut.  Hopefully, I can get the cutting done tomorrow evening after I get off work and post pictures then.  I don't have a border fabric. The quilt will tell me what it needs for borders once we get the piecing done.

I'm loving all of the fabric combinations that you all are posting.

Nana,  Thanks so much for organizing all of this for us.   I'm really looking forward to this mystery.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:51 PM

Thank you, Maggie! I've made a couple of quilts that have that paisley theme to them. Takes me back to my high school years, the hippie movement was just slowing down...I missed most of it, but it wasnt my cup of tea anywho. But I do love the fabric of that time!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 8:59 PM

Quiltcrone

Sometimes cutting your yardage into 1 yd chunks can cause you to need more fabric.   I know this sounds silly but sometimes you will lack just an inch or so of fabric to cut a strip when you have limited your cutting space in the yardage.   Did that make any sense to you or anyone other than me?   I am have a really hard time expressing myself tonight....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:57 PM

Nana:
Sometimes cutting your yardage into 1 yd chunks can cause you to need more fabric.

I got what you are saying.  would be better to figure out how much you'll need, like when I got to cutting the 1" strips, I cut  8-10 inches off first and then cut the 1" strips from that.  that worked out better for me. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 710
jadavn replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:27 AM

I haven't seen what anyone else said about your yellow yet, but I think it would work just fine. I have done many mystery quilts. As lonf as you have good contrast between your fabrics you should be fine. I love your border and your color choices.

Judy

San Jose, CA

San Jose, CA

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 710
jadavn replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:28 AM

Forgot to say, my response was for Quiltcrone regarding he fabrics.

San Jose, CA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 438
Points 8,370
Jan replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 11:40 AM

My  MQ 8 fabric came last night in the mail.  I only got part of the dark cut, but will post when done.  Hopefully later this afternoon. But here are the fabrics.  My granddaughter told me last week that she needs another quilt as her bunk bed only has one.  So she will get this one.  It may be when it is done or perhaps for her birthday or Christmas, but the colors are definitely with her in mind.  Might brighten up the border if I see something I like better somewhere.

Jan in Rochester, NY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 152
Points 4,455

I finally selected my fabric.  "Bronco's" colors.  It will be a while till I can cut, but will be printing instructions as they come out so I can catch up when everything settles down.

Martha

Parker, Co

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 417
Points 10,440
Donna replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 6:24 PM

Here are 2 possible fabrics that I picked today at Joanns  up for the border .  Which one do yall like best?  The one on the left has metallic thread and is my fav of the two, but the one on right would really POP.

• Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:28 PM

Donna:

Here are 2 possible fabrics that I picked today at Joanns  up for the border .  Which one do yall like best?  The one on the left has metallic thread and is my fav of the two, but the one on right would really POP.

You have 2 beautiful fabrics to choose from.  The first one would bring the light lavender out more, but I am a matchy-matchy type person and the plum matches some of the flowers in the second one quite well.  You are right that it really POPS.  I have looked at both of these fabrics myself, but didn't have  anything that would go with them.  I need to take a trip (a 50 mile one) to our closest Joanns and find something to go with my magenta fabric.  I also would like some sort of large floral for my border.  I have many on hand but most are just 1 yard and wouldn't be quite enough for the border, unless I decided on a narrower one or multiple borders.   

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:35 PM

Jan and Martha

Great fabrics.   Love the colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:36 PM

Donna

I used the one on the right in a stack n whack.   Love that fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 14 of 21 (314 items) «Prev1213141516Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use