Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Maggie wrote about my LQS:  They want you hooked so you'll buy fabric and patterns and gadgets, oh my!

======

Oh, they already see me coming!  They know me by name, and they're patient  :)   They're strategically located, too, just across the street from my periodontist LOL.

On the other hand, I'm fallling way behind again in all my household chores as well as my delights.  It's been a frustrating couple of months.  I'm about ready to scream. Thank heaven for friends! 

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:24 PM

well, mine look so plain after seeing some of ya'lls but they are what they are.  the white is a WOW and the dark is actually purple, not dark blue.  I decided to switch the dark and light so we'll see how it comes out. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

Debbie:
I decided to switch the dark and light so we'll see how it comes out. 

Debbie, I love your dark purple and white. I think it will be so striking. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out switching the colors.

I'm not doing this mystery quilt but am following what all of you are doing. Have fun.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:13 PM

I am giving this quilt to my mom. I had the print material and added the red and pink cuz she likes those colors. Have my fabric cut, but need to add to the total of the 81/2" strips now that I have read thru the posts...glad I did, too. But thank goodness Nana made sure we had fabric left over..=)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:15 PM

Actually the red fabric has a subtle print to it but that red seems to overwhelm everything!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:57 PM

Wonderful combinations of fabrics.  My light is actually a very tiny check like pattern and it is basically tan - some of the checks look almost burgandy but read as a tan. The fabrics on the left and right sides are for the borders - either one or both or pieced with the two basics, don't have a clue.  At least I know I have plenty of all of them.  Oops, thought I had cropped this better - quite the mess showing up on the table behind the long arm.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 13,070

Bayla, hang in there!  Pretty soon it will be like walking and it will integrate into your schedule (or become your schedule LOL). Try to limit your projects at first and aim to finish a project before starting another. You'll find eventually that you can run several projects at a time so if you get bored or frustrated with one you can put it aside and pick up another. Of course some of us put them aside for a longer time than anticipated which creates a back log of UFOs. ;-) 

just keep chatting and everyone will try to help!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 13,070

Mona, I'm crazy over paisley!  I just bought three paisley prints while we were on our mini vacation. I think it is a great combo. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 13,070

Nana, I think Bayla and I were concerned about the gradient of the orange, going from dark to light orange. Will this mess up the overall look of the quilt? You said two colors so Bayla wondered if the orange gradient would make it look like I had used more than two colors. What do you think?  The first picture shows how the orange goes from dark to light. 

I agree, orange and lime green are not my favorite colors but I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and trying to use something from my overwhelming stash before my fabrics deteriorate. LOL  These toads have been hanging around, shuffled from shelf to shelf and tote to tote. It's about time they find a home. It will probably be a gift for someone young. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 367
Points 7,255
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:57 AM

Debbie I think your colors are wonderful...I love any shade of purple!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 9:21 AM

Maggie

I"m sorry....I didn't notice that the orange is an ombre.  I really don't know how well that will work in this pattern.   You might be better off to find one that is all the same color. 

But then again it may look really neat if you make sure all the darks are in blocks and the mediums in the same blocks and the lights in the same blocks.   This would give the whole quilt a gradient.   It would take more thought but it could be done.    Especially if you have enough fabric to be able to recut some pieces if necessary when you are putting the blocks together.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 13,070

Thanks for your input Nana. Now my interest is peaked. Hmmm. I might try this. I'll re-read the cutting instructions to see if I will be able to figure it out as you suggest. Sorry, I used the term gradient but you are right, it's an ombré. I'm still on a mental vacation. LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,354
Points 174,688
Marie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 12:54 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:
I'm still on a mental vacation

Maggie, me too, should we meet at the bar for a drink?  LOL

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
mamahen replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 3:50 PM

Well now that all the confusion about HST is straightened out, (I hope) we can all start cutting.  I am going to wait to cut my 1" strips into the 8 1/2" segments untill after my blocks are assembled, just to make sure they are correct size.    I have picked two colors that I have never worked with before, going to step outside my box. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,709
Points 38,280
ls2116 replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 8:01 PM

Nana, I sent you a pm.  

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 12 of 21 (314 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use