Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 6:42 AM

Not sure if this the place to post fabric but here is my choice.  I wondered about the silver sparkle in the black but I may want this for a blind in my dining room and thought it would add some bling also it was in my stash and have been only used it once for a western shirt yoke a long time ago so it was use it donate it.  I am using the red as the light and the floral for the borders.  Any thought?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 6:46 AM

Ladies, I can't wait to see the finished products from all the fun colors and fabrics everyone is choosing. I forgot to take a picture of my fabrics, black/greyish small print, and tone on tone white print. I did pick out a border, dark black with big red flowers.

I managed to get my fabrics washed and ironed, then it took another two days to cut out. My recently broken right arm is only partly cooperating and it decided to hurt a lot during the cutting process. Oh well, it can only get better, right? Some physical therapy and I will be as good as new. 

I look forward to the next step. Thanks Nana.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:39 AM

I have been on and off about joining the MQ8.  But I can't stay away from the mystery.  So off to the fabric store at lunch.  :)

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:56 AM

Marilyn

I think your fabrics are very pretty.  I like the sparkle in the black.  This will be a very interesting quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Dear Grandmother Sunshine (another grandma!), do you have enough of the light orange to do fussycuts?  With all the small pieces, I'd be concerned that the much lighter areas (to the far right of the fabric in the first picture), when cut, would look like a third color.

But what can I say about your border?  Love it!   Frogs (toads, actually, but very few people know the difference) are our family totem, and you can find them all over the house in fabric, ceramic and metal (one friend once gave us some actual stuffed frogs, but they got weevilly). 

Sometimes we keep visiting children occupied by asking them to count the frogs -- then discombobulate them by pointing out ones we're pretty sure they missed :)

Toad and Frog are Friends :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:41 AM

Donna:
Any way,  I will not be asking anymore questions, if I dont understand I will just stop participating.

Donna - please don't stop participating because of something someone says on here, I would feel so bad if that happened.  I never intended to be mean, please believe me! 

It's all a learning experience and some of us who have been at it longer just need to have a little more patience.  I will try very hard to be more patient and to hold my tongue.  Don't give up because of me. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:55 AM

I started cutting my fabric last night and decided I would switch the dark and the light.  got all the dark(light) cut out and it didn't take much yardage at all.  The 1" strips are a challenge but got them all cut out.  hope to finish cutting the rest tonight.  Can't wait for the next instructions to come out. 

I almost decided not to do this one because of all the pieces but am stepping out of my comfort zone and going to do it anyway.  Have some red/white polka dot material that I may do a second one as well. didn't think I would have enough of it but I think I do after cutting out this one. 

I had my hubby put the table up on bed risers and WOW!  what a difference it made for my back.  I didn't ache quite as much as I would have without them. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

As Fagin sings in Oliver, "I think I better think it through again." 

This morning I spent over an hour and a half trying to square up a half-yard of fabric and cut a single, simple (!) 16.5" x 16.5" square!  Maybe I'll just sit this one out, make something else with my fabrics, and wait till I'm more proficient in the beginner stuff before I get to fancy HSTs! 

I mean, it's not like I have nothing else to do! LOL

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 4:19 PM

Cutting is done!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 4:49 PM

Jen

These are very pretty fabrics.   Looks like have been really busy.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 4:55 PM

Thanks Nana, I was worried that the sparkles may not fit but am off to cut now.

Paris, Ontario

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 5:12 PM

Thanx, I was !!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,029
Points 13,065

Bayla Singer, I was wondering about the orange and hoped Nana would put her two cents worth in. LOL I only have 3 yards but I'm not objectionable to buying more fabric. LOL  I have a dear friend that loves frogs and toads. She has done some great quilts in the theme so I thought I'd give it a try. Those toads are growing moss on their feet because they've been hanging around so long. ;-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,029
Points 13,065

Bayla Singer:

As Fagin sings in Oliver, "I think I better think it through again." 

This morning I spent over an hour and a half trying to square up a half-yard of fabric and cut a single, simple (!) 16.5" x 16.5" square!  Maybe I'll just sit this one out, make something else with my fabrics, and wait till I'm more proficient in the beginner stuff before I get to fancy HSTs! 

I mean, it's not like I have nothing else to do! LOL

Don't give up. Some days are better than others for all of us. We all have trouble from time to time, no matter how experienced. A good resource is your LQS. Most of the time they are more than happy to help you figure things out. They want you hooked so you'll buy fabric and patterns and gadgets, oh my!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 9:36 PM

Maggie

If you like the orange / lime combination they will work just fine.  Orange doesn't draw me but I know it does alot of people.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Page 11 of 21 (314 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use