Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:42 PM

I am glad you add the second part because I was beginning to take offense.  I was not trying ot get ahead of the process,  I just needed to know how many pieces to cut.  Many kept saying HST squares,  well in what I have learned thus far and I admit, I am new to this, but HST is a Half square triangle, not a square.  Any way,  I will not be asking anymore questions, if I dont understand I will just stop participating.

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Donna, please don!t give up if you don' understand something. Nana has the patience of a saint and she does not mind questions. You will have a great time doing this MQ. She is the leader so just address your questions to her and wait for her reply.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,131
Points 28,610
Wendy replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 6:39 AM

Donna,

Elaine Phillips:
Donna, please don!t give up if you don' understand something.

I agree with Elane,  If you are not comfortable with cutting yet, then wait for the next set of instructions to come out. Maybe it will be clearer then.

All questions are welcomed and Nana will answer them as quickly as possible

Here is the problem.

We have too many people trying to answer the questions.  

Nana is the ONLY one who should be answering the questions.  This is after all a mystery and she is the only one who knows the next step.  WE can not answer a question about HST if we don't know what the next step is now can we.   This is suposed to be FUN. Not a nightmare.  I feel that everyone needs to chill out too and just follow the instructions.  Forget about HST for now and just cut.  I do not say these things in a rude or angry manor. But to be quite Frank, The HST thing is out of hand.  We have no instruction as of yet on what we are to do with the 21/2 " squares and I would not want to guess.

Nana's cutting instructions have been gone over by Mandy and no errors were found.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:34 AM

Terry

You will need 4 strips of each color per block and there are 18 blocks.   I think that comes to 72. 

Dang it!  I thought I was done cutting.  I was already going to move on ( or go back ) to one of the MQs I missed.  Oh, well.  Maybe this afternoon.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 359
Points 6,225
PennyWyo replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:57 AM

Thank you for the reply Nana and confirmation, Nana.

Penny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:58 AM

I know you've probably had it to gills with questions but here goes I rotary cut using shape cut June Tailor.  The 2 7/8 cut strip should i just cut it to 3" then square up later using omnigrid 6' ruler by marking and cutting off the eighth?  Never cut an eighth off not sure best way.  Thanks for replying in advance.  I did read the other questions on this measure but thought i'd ask anyway.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 359
Points 6,225
PennyWyo replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:59 AM

Thank you for your input, Marsha-SM.  I'm not sure how much I got of the dark tones but it's interesting enough to me now that I may get more to make this.  Will make sure I keep the contrast.

Penny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 8:12 AM

Nana:
If you are unable to get (6)   8 1/2" segments out of your 1" strips you will need to cut enough strips to make a total of 72 segments

Nana, Not trying to add to the confusion here, but where did you get 51 inch fabric?  6 x 8-1/2 = 51!!!  I think the problem is a typo - 13 instead of 15 strips!  I got 5 segments out of each strip with barely 1/2 inch left over.  With my muslin which is narrower, I know I will get only 4 so will need 18 strips (just to confuse matters more).  As for the HSTs - - - PATIENCE PEOPLE!  Just follow the directions when they come!!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 8:40 AM

Hi All,

I just ordered my fabric and hope to get it in a few days.  I hope I don't fall too far behind the rest of you.

Can't wait to get started, read the cutting instructions and I might be in the minority here, but I appreciate a more challenging MQ.  That being said, I look forward to the confusion...hehe

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,500
Christine replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 9:19 AM

I've  been travelling all over the country in the last 11 days, and will be stopping (or forcing my husband, : )  )in Paducah, KY to get my fabric.  I've enjoyed reading all the posts thus far, and think I understand the cutting instructions.  I can't wait to get back to St .Louis to start cutting!  Everyone, HAVE FUN!!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 11:38 AM

Debbie

Please do cut 7 more segments of each fabric.   You will need 4 strips of each color for each block and there are 18 blocks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 11:49 AM

Donna:

I am glad you add the second part because I was beginning to take offense.  I was not trying ot get ahead of the process,  I just needed to know how many pieces to cut.  Many kept saying HST squares,  well in what I have learned thus far and I admit, I am new to this, but HST is a Half square triangle, not a square.  Any way,  I will not be asking anymore questions, if I dont understand I will just stop participating.

Donna

I am sorry that the HST terminology confused you.   I know that the terms are sometimes interchangeable.   I shouldn't have given the option of using Thangles and Triangulations in the cutting instructions when I knew that I would have beginner quilters working on this project.   It just got really confusing for everyone.   When I use the term HST square it means the 2 color square made from 2 single color squares.   As we progress this will be better explained.   I also realize that there are numerous ways of arriving at the 2 color square.   However since these are very small squares I prefer not to work with the bias of a triangle.   They tend to distort very easily.  And the little tips also tend to stick under the pressor foot when they are small like this.   

I do not mind you asking questions.  Please do when you don't understand something.   That is how we learn.   I am very sorry that you felt that I was being rude to you.   That was not my intention.   It can be very difficult trying to explain a pattern in "pieces" and still keep the "mystery".   And I will admit that I was getting a little frustrated by trying to answer the same essential question from everyone and not seeming to make it any clearer to anyone.   Next time I will try to take a really deep breathe and get my answer together for everyone before I answer questions.   I hope that you will continue on this journey and have fun.    Just cut your fabrics as shown in the instructions and don't worry about the HST terminology right now.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 11:55 AM

Marsha

LOL>>>>   Ok let's just forget about how many we can get out of the strip of fabric and say we need 72 segments of each color..    I think part of the problem that I had with this particular cutting was that I had to recut some strips because when I did the construction step my exact scant 1/4" inch measurement wasn't really exact....LOL>   That's what I get for not measuring the needle placement before I started and checking.     But you are right it probably should have read 15 strips instead of 13.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 195
Kathy replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 12:25 PM

Christine, I see you are from Arnold, MO.  Before I moved to Florida I lived on Telegraph Rd., about a mile north of the river.  I miss the area.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 530
Jennifer replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 3:04 PM

Doing my happy dance!!! I have all my pieces cut and in marked baggies. Looking forward to step 2. Thank you Nana for all your dedication to instructions and questions.

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

• Post Points: 35
Page 9 of 21 (314 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use