Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:45 AM

Here are my fabrics, finally.  I will start cutting this afternoon and will follow the directions to the letter as Nana has written them.  I have plenty of my fabrics, so if there is a change in the HST, I can redo them.  I will starch the muslin before cutting to make cutting more accurate.  It is still wrinkled after pressing.  The wrinkled look is interesting but might not make for accurate piecing.  For some reason my picture isn't quite in focus, but you get the idea.  My ugly rug doesn't quite go with the fabrics!  Need to raid the stash for a border, but there is lots of time for that.  I have one in mind.

Off to starching and cutting.  Hope I can find the energy somewhere.  At least the sun is shining today, but the barometer is changing and I feel like someone is riding on my shoulders.   

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:48 AM

PennyWyo:
Could I do the dark as a scrappy if I stayed within the same tone but different colors or would I lose the design?  Thanks Nana.

Penny

I love scrappys so I am going to say that if the darks are the same tone/value that it will work.   Give it a try and lets see how it goes.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:52 AM

Nana:

OK...Here is the clarification regarding HSTs.    The HST squares will be 2" prior to sewing into the block.   Yes you can get this from a 2 3/8 in strip.  However I personally add that 1/8 inch to give me a little error room.   Also I know that there are newbies doing this quilt and figured the less 1/8" cutting the better.   I like to have the little extra and then square up all my squares to the 2" after making them.   That way they all come out perfect.   Now if you prefer you can cut the smaller strip.  In the grand scheme of things those few inches doesn't mean that much in fabric used.   You will get more instructions on doing this step later.  All you have to worry about right now is cutting the fabric according to the directions.   Please STOP over thinking this.  

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I was sick the last couple of days.   I think I may have a touch of the flu.  The fever and chills sneak up on me....LOL>   I will try to do better with keeping up with the questions.   You do have 2 weeks to complete this step.  Please relax and have fun.   If you cut your fabric according to the directions everything will work out fine.

Nana, this is how I thought you were going.  I do the same and usually add the 1/8" so I can use my shape-cut ruler.  It doesn't have slots for 1/4" or 1/8".  I would rather trim than have my HSTs a little too small.

Rest and get feeling better.  I learned to stop over-thinking things years ago and just go with the flow.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:55 AM

Nana:

PennyWyo:
Could I do the dark as a scrappy if I stayed within the same tone but different colors or would I lose the design?  Thanks Nana.

Penny

I love scrappys so I am going to say that if the darks are the same tone/value that it will work.   Give it a try and lets see how it goes.

Penny, that sounds like an interesting idea you have.  I agree, keeping the same tone/value is the most important.  The variety in color will make the quilt quite interesting and the light will tie it all together.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:56 AM

Bayla

You can double the size if that is what you would like to do.   I did find that there was only a couple of places that required me to use a stilleto or something to help me hold the little pieces and my fingers are fumbly some times too....LOL>   Increasing the size may give a slightly different overall look but will be ok.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Thanks, Nana.  My inner arithmetician and geometer said it would be ok, but I'm a beginning quilter so I decided to be absolutely sure!  Teeny pieces scare me, and SCANT quarter-inch seams scare me ... I'm one scaredy-cat!

And from one grandmother to another -- have some chicken soup!  I like to scatter some dried dill in mine, for extra flavor and aroma.  If you'd like more protein, you can scramble an egg and slowly drizzle it into the boiling soup; Presto, egg drop soup! 

As a very wise rabbi once said to me, "if you collapse, all those people who depend on you will have nobody to help them!"  So please, pretty please, take good care of yourself!

-- Bayla

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 12:51 PM

Bayla

You are so sweet.   I did have some chicken soup last night at the chinese restuarant with a spring roll.  Sure tasted good.   Then I came home and took more meds and went to bed.   Slept like a log.   Fixing corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight.  Got to honor those Irish roots....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 4:43 PM

Donna:

I am sorry Nana that you are not feeling well, but this still is not clear.  you say I get 2 units from a square of fabric.  and end up with 216 units??? Is a unit one color of say the dark?>??  Again will I have 108 dark HST or 216 dark HST.  I did not cut squares and then cut them in half....  So talk about only ONE color.  When the cutting is done and I have my dark HSTs in front of me,  is there 108 dark or 216 dark?>??????

Donna, I think the confusion here mostly is what an HST is - usually called a half-square triangle. It is really a 2-color square with the colors in the form of triangles.  The bicolor squares are made without actually cutting and handling triangles before sewing.  You DO NOT have to cut the squares in half first. I am happy you haven't yet.  The original single-color squares are not HST but just the basic single color squares you start with.  It takes one square of each color to make 2 HST (or HST squares - what I call bicolor squares).  You take the 2 color squares, face right sides together, mark the diagonal on one side of the sandwich and stitch 1/4 inch on each side of that line.  Then you get the triangles by cutting on the line between the stitching lines on the diagonal.  After pressing each "triangle" open, you come up with 2 bicolor squares (HST) without ever having to put pointy triangles through your machine.  The points arrive after the stitching and cutting.  Makes the process much easier when you need multiple 2 color triangle-squares for a project as you get 2 at a time instead of one with easier stitching.  108 of each color when stitched makes 216 bicolor squares.  108 + 108 = 216     They make up 108 2-color sandwiches.  When they are cut in half after stitching, cutting, opening and pressing, you get 216 2 color squares - the same number as your total of the 2 colors of squares.  This was very confusing to me at first.  We need a better description, but HST is short and sweet and you soon understand what is meant by it.  You don't end up with triangles, but squares made of triangles without ever having to handle triangles through the machine.

I am sure Nana will explain this better when we get to that step.  The square sizes she is having you cut are oversize and probably the finished bicolor squares will have to be trimmed to size.  I would rather trim a square to size than try to sew undersized squares together and guess where the edge of the fabric is SUPPOSED to be.  Don't stress over this.  All will come out in the end.  I really like making HST now and don't mind trimming squares as my old body needs sit-down-with-legs-up work.  I trim my pieces on a lap-sized cutting board in my recliner.  It gets quite messy around my chair, but the vacuum helps with the tiny trimmings.

I hope this helps someone and doesn't add to the confusion.

I hope this isn't making a confusing term even more confusing!!! 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:14 PM

You are mixing terns... HST is "Half Square Triangles".... not squares  so if you used squares,  which I didnt not,  you would have 108 squares that you would then cut into HST for a total of 216 HST per color.  This is the assumption I am making.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:16 PM

Thanks Nana,  that is what I was assuming.  Hope you are feeling better.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,140
ls2116 replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 6:09 PM

Nana I hope you feel better soon.  I know my endurance strength has been affected this year by being sick.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 6:21 PM

Nana:

Christine

Your HST will finish in the block at 2".  It should be 2 1/2" before sewing into the block.

Nana you wrote the above to me a few pages back but now you are saying that they will be 2" before sewing them into the block and finish at 1.5".  Just want to triple check have already made a few the size you mentioned before, just want to make sure before I make all 216 HST's.

Thank you Nana hope you feel better real soon!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 6:27 PM

Christine

If you will cut your fabrics as explained in the cutting instructions everything will work out perfectly when we get to the actual constructing steps.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,140
ls2116 replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 6:38 PM

These are my fabric options for mq8 what do you think?

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,285
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 7:40 PM

Thanx Marsha......I also have a vision in my head of what the block will be...I may be wrong...it's going to be fun to see. I can't start cutting til tue and wed....I will be playing catch up because of work, I usually work 2nd shift but have been doing a mid the last 3 days so I have not had my mornings to myself. I will wash it in the morning and it will be ready for me tuesday. I like the fabric you chose too...mauve is always pretty in a quilt and I love muslin, in fact I prefer to use muslin as a backing in all my quilts, I usually get it from BacksideFabrics.com, I love the cotton sateen in white, it is so soft and it comes in 118" width.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 7 of 21 (314 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use