Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:59 PM

My quilt will be going to my neighbor and friend for her birthday (shhh... it's a secret) ... red is her color and she loves cherries so here's what I picked out today.

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,479
Points 24,665
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 10:37 PM

Debbie-do -- I love your red and the white kinds looks like mine and the border just pulls it all together.  Very nice!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:15 PM

Debbie, love your red and white.  The cherries for the border are very sweet!

For the others asking about borders, I really wouldn't worry about it yet.  I've found that with mystery quilts in particular, what i think may work for a border often doesn't once the pieced top comes together.  Then again, with a group project like this, you may decide you want to design a pieced border that will help set your quilt apart from everyone else's.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:38 AM

OK...Here is the clarification regarding HSTs.    The HST squares will be 2" prior to sewing into the block.   Yes you can get this from a 2 3/8 in strip.  However I personally add that 1/8 inch to give me a little error room.   Also I know that there are newbies doing this quilt and figured the less 1/8" cutting the better.   I like to have the little extra and then square up all my squares to the 2" after making them.   That way they all come out perfect.   Now if you prefer you can cut the smaller strip.  In the grand scheme of things those few inches doesn't mean that much in fabric used.   You will get more instructions on doing this step later.  All you have to worry about right now is cutting the fabric according to the directions.   Please STOP over thinking this.  

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  I was sick the last couple of days.   I think I may have a touch of the flu.  The fever and chills sneak up on me....LOL>   I will try to do better with keeping up with the questions.   You do have 2 weeks to complete this step.  Please relax and have fun.   If you cut your fabric according to the directions everything will work out fine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:46 AM

Donna

When you use squares to make your HST units you have 2 units per square of fabric cut.   So by cutting 108 light and 108 dark squares you will end up with 216 HST units when completed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 432
Points 11,070
Donna replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 9:06 AM

I am sorry Nana that you are not feeling well, but this still is not clear.  you say I get 2 units from a square of fabric.  and end up with 216 units??? Is a unit one color of say the dark?>??  Again will I have 108 dark HST or 216 dark HST.  I did not cut squares and then cut them in half....  So talk about only ONE color.  When the cutting is done and I have my dark HSTs in front of me,  is there 108 dark or 216 dark?>??????

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

Donna:

I am sorry Nana that you are not feeling well, but this still is not clear.  you say I get 2 units from a square of fabric.  and end up with 216 units??? Is a unit one color of say the dark?>??  Again will I have 108 dark HST or 216 dark HST.  I did not cut squares and then cut them in half....  So talk about only ONE color.  When the cutting is done and I have my dark HSTs in front of me,  is there 108 dark or 216 dark?>??????

Re-read the cutting instructions:  From dark:

Cut 7 (2 ½") strips by wof subcut into 108 (2 ½") squares If you like to do your HSTs with Thangles or the Triangulations program you will need to use whatever size strips the program calls for to end up with 2" HST squares . This measurement is prior to sewing the square into the block.

Same is true of the light.  When they are sewn together and cut diagonally you will end up with a total of 216 hst.

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 9:34 AM

Donna

If you cut these as triangles instead of squares you will need 216 triangles of each color.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 9:47 AM

Hello,

I'm sorry, but now I'm confused!  In the original instructions, you say cut 2 1/2" squares to end up with 2" squares after they are sewn.  But, in reality, shouldn't we start off with 2 7/8" squares to allow for ALL seam allowances & end up with 2" squares?

Now, you're saying just cut 2" squares?  The HST squares will be 2" prior to sewing into the block.  Sorry, last night my issue was go with the instructions, or go with the math.  Now  I don't know which way to go :/

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:25 AM

tnmtgrl:

Thanx Marsha!! I shopped after work for fabric and found this blue floral print...I decided against the brown, and I guess my grandson will not be getting this because of the flowers but I made him a big boy quilt for his new big boy bed last year anyway...I'll use it as a gift for someone...lol 

Love your border fabric.  It is perfect for this quilt.  I have an idea in my head of a block Nana may be using in this from the size of the pieces and the scale of this print should go well with it.  I will not reveal any of my ideas.  I enjoy trying to out-guess mysteries, but won't spoil the suspense for others.  I agree that this fabric isn't suitable for a boy but will make a beautiful, colorful quilt.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:26 AM

Beve

After sewing the HST squares into the block they will finish at 1 1/2 inches.   The HST square will be 2" prior to sewing into the block.   These can be done with 2 3/8" squares but I prefer to add the 1/8" to my squares thus starting with 2 1/2" squares.   This gives me just a smidge of error room when constructing the HST units.   I then trim and square up to a 2" square HST.  I cut my light and dark squares at 2 1/2" as stated in the cutting instructions.   I think by trying to explain the different ways people wanted to do their HSTs I have confused everyone.   Maybe next time I won't give options and instead everyone can make their HSTs the same way I do.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:39 AM

thanks, Nana!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,777
Points 30,815
Roxana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:40 AM

beve99:

Hello,

I'm sorry, but now I'm confused!  In the original instructions, you say cut 2 1/2" squares to end up with 2" squares after they are sewn.  But, in reality, shouldn't we start off with 2 7/8" squares to allow for ALL seam allowances & end up with 2" squares?

Now, you're saying just cut 2" squares?  The HST squares will be 2" prior to sewing into the block.  Sorry, last night my issue was go with the instructions, or go with the math.  Now  I don't know which way to go :/

Beve99,
I think the key is at the HST squares will be 2" PRIOR to sewing into the block. I took two scrap 2-1/2" squares and prepared HST squares as JudyEE mentioned and still had to square up the square to get the 2" square to be exact for PRIOR to sewing it into the block. Nana is right. If we just follow the instructions as written (and we are not using Thangles or Triangulations) then we will be fine. She hasn't given us any sewing instructions yet.

Nana,
I am sorry that you aren't feeling good. Please take care of yourself and get well fast! We appreciate so much your hard work on the MQ8. It's going to be great. A little out of my comfort zone since I don't know the outcome but moving outside the box, so to speak, is good for my soul!
Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:41 AM

Francine:

just wondering if the dark and light fabric could be switched or if it has to stay the same

Francine....so sorry that I missed this question.  There isn't any reason that you couldn't switch the two.  It will just give a slightly different feel to the quilt but will be just as pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  So far today is going well.   Hopefully the fevers have passed.   The only time I feel bad is when I have a fever.  The rest of the time I feel really good.   Just really weird....don't know why I keep having a fever with chills.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 6 of 21 (314 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use