Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,903
Points 33,105
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:54 PM

Thank you, JudyEE! I get it now. Sorry I was so slow about getting there.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:57 PM

How many 1 X 8 1/2 inch strips should I have after cutting.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 6:09 PM

Donna:

How many 1 X 8 1/2 inch strips should I have after cutting.

This is what Nana said back on page # 3

"You need to cut 13 strips 1" wide by the width of fabric.   You will then cut these strips into (5) 8 1/2 " by 1" sections  per each strip .  You  should have 65 total segments."

Happy cutting :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 6:15 PM

Got everything cut and have printed out my Triangulations sheets will try to get them done during the week :)

I went with a Kona Dark Plum and a Kona Orange solid and have a border fabric picked out also.  Uploaded a picture in the Media section for MQ # 8.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:05 PM

Ok,  I still dont think we have the answer to the half square triangles.... out of 1 color.......do we end up with 108 or 216.  Out of the dark.....108 or 216......

Out of the 7 strips we cut, using my easy angle,  I got 180 so am I 72 over or 36 short?????

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 5,100
Annette replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:17 PM

Hi....Just letting you know that I picked out a black tone-on-tone print and a hot pink small print as my two fabrics.    I didn't like anything at that store for the border, but I think i can find something later for it.     Looking forward to getting this started!    Thanks Nana for all the work you're doing for this.

Annette

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,120
bootz864 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:39 PM

All the discussion of the HST has me confused. I read it as we cut  2 1/2 squares. Thats all. Then we get the next step on April 29th correct?  all the other discussion is for people that will be using some kind of shortcut method?  Going to start cutting tomorrow so I hope i'm doing it right :)  I'm using black and purple fabrics, this is also my first quilt using solids.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 65

I agree - we need Nana to give us a definitive answer.  I think she confused me when she said (108) 2.5 squares then mentioned HSTs.  Since other cuts are 2.5 I assume the HSTs must be 2.5 also (to finish at 2.0).  That would mean 216 HSTs.  I'm going to cut everything BUT these pieces until we get further instructions in step 2. 

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:47 PM

I agree with Donna - I am still not sure the HST is straightened out.

From directions - Cut 7 (2 1/2”) strips by wof subcut into 108 (2 1/2”) squares If you like to do your HSTs with Thangles or the Triangulations program you will need to use whatever size strips the program calls for to end up with 2” HST squares . This measurement is prior to sewing the square into the block. 

From these directions - we will cut 108 (2 1/2") squares of each color - which will turn into 216 HST of light/dark combo.  

I think I have the count down, but I am still having troubles with the measurements.  I do my HST like JudyEE.  Start with 7/8" larger, draw the diagonal, and sew 1/4" to each side.  

My 1st problem - if you do this method of HST with a (2 1/2) square you will end up with a (1 5/8) HST not 2"

My 2nd problem - if you get to a 2" HST (which you will not with starting at 2 1/2"  -  it says in directions "This measurement is prior to sewing the square into the block." So if we want a 2" HST to sew in we will only have (1 1/2") square when done AND we would need to start with a (2 3/8") square (again different than directions)  The whole 7/8" more than your finished block - right?

Lastly - on page 3 Nana answers 

Your HST will finish in the block at 2".  It should be 2 1/2" before sewing into the block.   

Different than what the directions say (it is 2" before sewing)  AND we can not end up with 2 1/2' HST if we start with 2 1/2 so I think we need 2 7/8" squares.

I am so confused.  I do not want to cut anything until I know so I do not waste cutting 108 squares of dark and 108 square of light in the wrong size.

Please help!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:15 PM

Wendy, I am at the present completing other projects and would like to do MQ8 at a later time.  I find it beneficial to follow discussion questions at my convenience so that I may jot down notes on the Step sheets.  That way when I do work on the MQ,  I will avoid possible errors. 

I noticed that for former MQs the discussions are no longer available for viewing, therefore unsubscribing might not be a good idea.  I participated in MQ6, and either most quilters were posting their questions on the "Are you ready for MQ#"  or the "Stop emailing me replies option" was effective because my email inbox was not influxed with messages. 

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 125

Ok, I have a question.... the border fabric... any suggestions?  I mean if the quilt is out of two contrasting fabrics that read as solids... how wild should the border fabric be?  Should it introduce any other colors or do you think sticking with the two main colors would be better visually.  It is very weird picking fabrics and not knowing... its like quilting blind :) 

Oh and one other question.... how many HST finished at 2" should we have in total?  Thanks!

This will be my second mystery quilt, but I have to confess that I saw the finished product before I actually went through the steps the last time :o  

Stephanie

http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54491/123/489F1E8DBCF94DE1176C151ADC624930.png

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:38 PM

Thanx Marsha!! I shopped after work for fabric and found this blue floral print...I decided against the brown, and I guess my grandson will not be getting this because of the flowers but I made him a big boy quilt for his new big boy bed last year anyway...I'll use it as a gift for someone...lol 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:07 PM

Nana, can we get an answer please!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:47 PM

WoW!  lots of confusion out there and I haven't even started cutting yet.  have a purple and white circles on white for my fabric and both have been watched and dried.  But reading all the posts is really confusing me, since I still need to finish the border on Barb's center for the Round Robin I'm going to wait and hope all the confusion gets cleared up.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:47 PM

oops, should be washed and dtried.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 5 of 21 (314 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use