Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:56 AM

I have decided on dark blue and pale yellow and will wait to see what border fabric to use. I'll be cutting tomorow ready for the next step. Looking forward to it. I'll have to wait until Saturday morning because Hubby and I have tickets to see Bruce "the boss"Springstein in Sydney Friday night soooo excited.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:40 AM

Hi Nana,

I've been deciding whether to do this as I don't have alot of solid yardage in my stash and really do not want to buy that much more fabric.  But as I sat looking at everything several times yesterday, I got to wondering.  Connecting Threads had their Quilter's Candy Mirage on sale last week and I got several FQs just to see the colors for the future.  Many of them are dark, plus I got several yards of the cream.  Could I do the dark as a scrappy if I stayed within the same tone but different colors or would I lose the design?  Thanks Nana.

Penny

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 367
Points 7,255
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:57 AM

here's my fabric for the MQ8....my grandson's favorite colors...had it in my stash...thinking of using a medium brown print  for the border so it goes with his room but I'll have to shop for that fabric. 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 8:58 AM

Nana, I will begin this MQ8 later on.  I have made the selection "Stop emailing me replies" on the Introduction Page, and Discussion Page, but it is not working.  Can you look into why that option is not working? 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 432
Points 11,070
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:26 AM

This is my fabric,  it is Plum and Lavander.  Do yall think it is enough of a contrast?  Although the dark look brown it is really Plum.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:09 PM

Mary789:
"Stop emailing me replies" on the Introduction Page, and Discussion Page, but it is not working.  Can you look into why that option is not working? 

If you have subscribed to the group, It will send you any discssions within the group. You can stop this by unsubscribing to the group

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Nana,

My fingers are losing their dexterity, and I don't think I'll be able to handle the tiny pieces.  Would it absolutely ruin the design if I recalculated and made all the finished pieces twice as large?  For example, instead of finished pieces 2"x2", how about finished pieces at 4"x4"?  I'd cut them at four and a half inches x four and a half inches, for seam allowances.

The 8 1/2 x 1 inch strips would then be 16 1/2 x 2 inches ... and so on.  The blocks would be twice as large, and I'd make half as many.

-- Bayla the fumblefingered

If you would prefer to respond to me privately, my email is bayla2@earthlink.net

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 2:48 PM

Finally hit the stash today and found the fabrics I was wanting.  Left the mess worse than it was before I hit it.  At least I remembered which pile each of them were in but lacked the energy to straighten up the piles again.  Too much STUFF in the way to reach the shelves comfortably!! 

I have a deep tone-on-tone deep red/deep rose small print and natural muslin.  I have always been wanting to make a quilt with muslin and decided this was the place to try it.  I need to wash the fabrics then start cutting.  They especially need washing because muslin usually shrinks more than most fabrics.  Now for the energy to get to the washer!  I am beginning to hate gloomy weather - does nothing for my mood.  Maybe a nap would be better - - - oh, I forgot - - - I am the one who can't sleep during the day or any place except in bed!!

Have fun cutting!  I'll take pictures after washing the fabrics, if I remember before I start cutting. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 2:56 PM

tnmtgrl:

here's my fabric for the MQ8....my grandson's favorite colors...had it in my stash...thinking of using a medium brown print  for the border so it goes with his room but I'll have to shop for that fabric. 

He has good taste in fabrics.  This will make a very colorful quilt and brown will frame it nicely

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 3:15 PM

fzytwo:

Marsha how far West in NY are you?  I am in CNY - Ilion to be exact.  Right now working in Oneida and we have some light snow - but nothing like you are talking of.  The wind has died down from yesterday too.  I agree SPRING can not come soon enough.

I a quite far west from you.  We are near the Genesee River and about 60 plus miles south of Rochester and east of Buffalo.  I believe the Syracuse area takes the snow prize.  We have had much more snow than usual this year - there are snow bands that streak west to east from Lake Erie and we are usually in one of the lighter snow bands.  For some reason, the bands have shifted slightly this year and we seem to be the target!  It got nearly to 65 a few days ago and we saw patches of green on the front lawn - the north side of the house, but there is much fewer small patches of green now - mostly the tall grass that didn't get cut in the fall because we were tired of cutting grass!!  Now I would be happy to be able to get out there in the warmth on a mower!!  Flakes keep fluttering down but not adding up much.  Yesterday was much different!  I do not like driving in mini blizzards, snow drifts, and wind.  Spring Will come, some day!  The wind is much calmer today here also.  We do have snowdrops trying to bloom through the snow.  There was green around them before yesterday's snow.  Now they blend in too well to be noticed.

I have my fabrics picked from stash and now heading to washer to get them ready.  Since my light is natural muslin, I need to preshrink!  I have had these fabrics in the back of my mind for a project for a few years, so here I go.  I think I also have a border fabric somewhere in the scrambled mess.  The border-first method is a good way to go.  Have fun! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,781
Points 30,895
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 3:50 PM

By Roxana in Mystery Quilt #8 - City Streets

Nana, so the (108) 2-1/2" squares will be cut in half. Does that mean that I should cut 2-7/8" strips and then 2-7/8" squares if I don't use Thangles or another method to create HST? When do the squares become triangles? I'm confused.

Also, a couple of us wondered if the light and dark could be switched.

NEW POST:

does anyone know the answer about the squares that I asked above? Do we need 216 HST or 108 2-1/2" squares in each color? I usually make my HST from a 2-1/2" strip and line it up on my special ruler for a 2" square out of them but I think I am missing something in the instructions. I usually know how many triangles I need. I know NOTHING about Thangles or Triangulations. Nana told someone to start with 2-7/8" squares but we are already cutting that for the dark and into triangles too. Please help me if you understand. I'm new to MQ's. thanks so much!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Awesome -quilting and Brruuuuce!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 4:40 PM

Roxana:
does anyone know the answer about the squares that I asked above? Do we need 216 HST or 108 2-1/2" squares in each color

Hi Rhonda,

The way I make HSTs is to take one light 2 7/8" square and place it over a dark 2 7/8" square, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner, sew 1/4"  from the center line on each side, then rotary cut the center line.  The result is two 2 1/2" HSTs made from one light 2 7/8" square and one dark 2 7/8" square. Nana hasn't given us any piecing directions yet other than the hint about HSTs from the light 108 and dark 108 squares but the end result should be 216 HSTs.

Hope this makes sense.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,781
Points 30,895
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 4:51 PM

Thanks Judy. I understand that. My question then is since the 108 2-1/2" squares wind up as 2" HST, should I be cutting 108 2-7/8" squares instead of 108 2-1/2" squares? That's what makes sense to me but the instructions call for 108 2-1/2" squares that should end up as 2" HST squares. How can that be?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:25 PM

Nana:
Your HST will finish in the block at 2".  It should be 2 1/2" before sewing into the block.

Your HST will finish in the block at 2".  It should be 2 1/2" before sewing into the block.

I plan to cut the strips at 2 7/8" so that, with the method I use, my HSTs will be 2 1/2" and 2" sewn. Nana's directions say to cut the strips for the method you use to make HSTs, either 2 1/2" or 2 7/8", whichever works for you.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Page 4 of 21 (314 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use