Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:54 AM

Nana, my question is similar to Jan's though I read it like Bridgit-Carol. How many 1" x 8 1/2" rectangle  strips should we have total? You told us the total on all the other subcutaneous. Thank you,

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:55 AM

Subcuts not subcutaneous!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:14 PM

Funny Roxana - subcutaneous - sure caught my eye!

My question is will the border be wide enough to use a large scale print?

The triangles have me a little confused too.  Are they supposed to be 2.5" before sewing or 2" before sewing?

Lastly I had to reply to Roxana's post to get my question here because I do not seem to be able to post from "discussions". 

If I go to discussions it gives me the error "  ACCESS DENIED:POST PERMISSION DENIED. Either this formum does not exist or you are not allowed to post. " 

Am I doing something wrong there?  At least I can get in through the reply buttons.

Thanks for everything Nana.

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:31 PM

fzytwo:
Lastly I had to reply to Roxana's post to get my question here because I do not seem to be able to post from "discussions".

Fzytwo, you posted correctly.  As group leader, Nana is the only one who can start a new thread.  All discussion for step one will happen here in this thread by replying to one another.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 215
Rebecca B replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:35 PM

Hi all

I got my neon green and black fabric ( high contrast yes?) all washed up.  Yes I belong to the pre-wash group but there is a reason for it beside just preference.  The sizing that is put in the fabric has a tenancy to make my fingers sore so I pre-wash everything.   I am saving the cutting directions so I can refer back if I need to.   The 1" strips are a bit worry-some but I will manage.  Will be cutting today after I get my work done.

Rebecca B

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,649
Points 37,290
ls2116 replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:36 PM

Thanks for helping us all Nana.  I'm so glad to see cutting instructions that i was able to print.  I still haven't decided what color fabric but i'll play with that later.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

We need help with the WOF, RR, and HST.  What do these mean?   Are these cuts made on single layers or is the fabric doubled?   

Bethiebear and. Mama Vines.  

Co-workers who are doing this quilt together!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Bethiebear:

We need help with the WOF, RR, and HST.  What do these mean?   Are these cuts made on single layers or is the fabric doubled?   

Bethiebear and. Mama Vines.  

Co-workers who are doing this quilt together!

WOF = Width of fabric

HST = Half square triangles

I'm not sure what is meant by RR.  In the round robin thread, we use it to mean Round Robin, but it might mean something else over here.  Can you provide the context?

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 1:54 PM

fzytwo:
Funny Roxana - subcutaneous - sure caught my eye!

Thanks, Roxana, That made my day.  I needed something to perk me up.  I just got back from physical therapy, grocery shopping, and a total of 60 miles driving in heavy winds and some blizzard like conditions. - - - -  SPRING - - - - you can come any time now, but leave your mud behind. - - - -  My car tires were frozen in the mud over 8 inches deep this morning.  Luckily I had 4 wheel drive and after rocking, that finally broke the frozen mud loose.  We live surrounded by hills so the winds usually pass over us.  While I was bringing in groceries it sounded like the roar of a fleet of semi's driving overhead - (not quite a freight train)

fzytwo:
Lastly I had to reply to Roxana's post to get my question here because I do not seem to be able to post from "discussions".

fzytwo, That is how I usually post.  I just hit the reply button on someone else's post and just don't quote from their post.  Then you have a blank slate ready for your comments.

I am getting anxious to print off my directions and find some fabric.  I SHOULD find some in my MESS (stash and other stufff shoved on shelves and in boxes).  Someday I need to organize my tiny space and remove all  the remodeling tools and stuff left over from fixing ancient windows, floors, and walls in the rest of the house.  This was supposed to be a small sewing room, but seems to continue to store everything else.  I think I know where two fabrics are that are actually on the shelves.  I tried a little organizing last Spring, but somehow things returned to the old normal.

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 2:54 PM

Thanks Marsha and MNnancy for the help on posting. 

Marsha how far West in NY are you?  I am in CNY - Ilion to be exact.  Right now working in Oneida and we have some light snow - but nothing like you are talking of.  The wind has died down from yesterday too.  I agree SPRING can not come soon enough.

Still have to get material.  Was thinking of going with the find a border and pick colors from there school of thought.  I make a donation quilt for Relay for Life every year and they want something floral this year .  Maybe this MQ will work for that with the right border.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:00 PM

Nana:

This quilt comes out about 60 x 65.

Before borders, Nana?

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:48 PM

Hi,

Ok just got back from shopping... here are my fabrics... I could not find a black I like so i went with dark brown a just barely cream and picked a border to tie it together, the brown looks washed out in the pic but is darker to me.

Sandy

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Sandy:
i went with dark brown a just barely cream and picked a border to tie it together, t

Love your choices, Sandy!!  What a great selection.  They look perfect on your red chair.  You might think about using a red border or binding! 

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 6:32 PM

Thanks and good idea for the binding!  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,515
Francine replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 7:20 PM

just wondering if the dark and light fabric could be switched or if it has to stay the same

Francine

• Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 21 (314 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use