Discussion and Questions regarding Step 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 313 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana Posted: Fri, Mar 15 2013 5:25 AM

Please use this thread to discuss step 1.   Thank you.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 470
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 6,590
didash replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 7:20 AM

Hi Nana! Even though I will be starting this quilt quite late (we are still traveling on our sailboat), I'm starting to think about fabric choices for when I get to a port with a quilt shop!  Would you consider this quilt a "traditional" design or a more "modern" design?  Thinking I'll make it for my DIL, but thought I should ask about the general design/look before I selected fabric colors that she could use...thanks in advance!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 450
Raewyn replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 7:28 AM

Thank you Nana for step 1 . I am off to quilt class in the morning and will do the cutting there I think. I'll have to decide on fabric when I get there :)

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 35

Hi Nana,  having never attempted a mystery quilt online I am curious what we can expect the finished size to be?  I myself like large quilts so if I need to purchase more fabric for a larger quilt, I would like to do it in the beginning rather than waiting till the end and trying to find fabric to match.  Any info would certainly help.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 21,720
Susie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:15 AM

I'm so excited about this!  It's going to take all that I have in me to NOT dig into it this weekend.  I NEED to get my RR borders done first!  Then I can play with this one.

WOOHOO!!  Another one waiting in the wings!  Have no fear, I will have it all cut out and ready to go before the first sewing step is revealed :)

(Just a little OCD about the mystery quilts, can you tell?  roflol!)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:30 AM

Diane

This answer probably won't be very helpful.  It is a traditional block with a modern look.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:30 AM

Thanks, Nana, for posting the initial requirements and for creating the master plan (as well as hosting it). I appreciate you! ... I am so excited about my first Mystery Quilt. I'm usually all about what the final product will look like before I start so this will be a challenge for me. I have some weekend projects that come first but I should have everything cut and ready by the time the next step is posted. This is so neat! Thanks again!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:31 AM

This quilt comes out about 60 x 65.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:33 AM

Again I recommend that you stay away from print fabric.  You could possibly loose alot of the design since some of the squares are small.   I highly recommend a solid or mottled fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:35 AM

Hello Nana,

Quick question in step one for the HST you stated 2" finished.  I want to make sure they are to be 2 1/2" prior to being sewn into the quilt and will finish in the quilt as 2".  Just checking because I was going to use one of the methods you mentioned.

Thank you for doing this mystery for us!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:07 AM

wow!  lots of cutting, I can see right now this will take several days to cut.  So glad the Marauders in Missouri put out the tip about putting the table up on risers.  went and bought some at Target ($8.06) and what a difference it makes for my back.  

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you to whoever's idea that was.  been a big help on just the little bit of cutting I've done.  my back will thank you ever so much after getting MQ8 cut out. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 8,360
Jan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:11 AM

Nana,

I have a cutting clarification question.For the 13 (1") strips WOF, you have subcut into 8 1/2" segments.  Does that mean we are sub cutting the strips to be 1" by * 1/2" as many as we can across? The other option would be to cut each strip into 8 (1/2") segments and that seems like a ton of fabric for a tiny requirement.

Thanks

Jan in Rochester

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:11 AM

Nana,

are these prints "mottled" enough or do I need to go to a solid?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

Nana -- without giving away too much, can you tell us if there are flying geese in the quilt as I use a no waste method for making them?  I just hate discarding those tiny triangles left over from the traditional way.  If there are, I'll hold off cutting some of the strips to leave enough fabric for them.

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

Jan:

Nana,

I have a cutting clarification question.For the 13 (1") strips WOF, you have subcut into 8 1/2" segments.  Does that mean we are sub cutting the strips to be 1" by * 1/2" as many as we can across? The other option would be to cut each strip into 8 (1/2") segments and that seems like a ton of fabric for a tiny requirement.

Thanks

Jan in Rochester

I'm not Nana, but I read those instructions as eight and a half inch segments WOF.   Usually designated by 8-1/2". 

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 21 (314 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use