General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 171 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the input ladies.  I find it much easier to lead a MQ that I have designed than trying to take someone else's pattern and explain how to do it.    Some of their patterns aren't well written and some have had some mistakes in them that made it difficult to explain to everyone.   At least for me it seems more difficult....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 10:26 PM

Nana, you really came up with a winner.  These quilts are absolutely gorgeous.  Well done. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, May 1 2013 11:06 AM

Thanks Patti.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770

Check this out... http://www.templatetechniques.com/Video_Tutorial.html . I almost bought a set of these at a quilt show last year but put them back. What I liked the least about all the HSTs in MQ8 was all the trimming up. If you’re going to make a lot of the same color combo, these templates make a lot of sense. I emailed Dixie this morning and she says the pack of 4 sells for $20.  You'll need to call or email to place the order.  She also sells them at quilt shows but I'm not sure how far and wide she travels.  Dixie retired last year and closed her quilt shop, 7th Heaven, in San Antonio.   I am looking forward to buying a set later this month at the quilt show in Kerrville!

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770

Debbie-do:

Check this out... http://www.templatetechniques.com/Video_Tutorial.html . I almost bought a set of these at a quilt show last year but put them back. What I liked the least about all the HSTs in MQ8 was all the trimming up. If you’re going to make a lot of the same color combo, these templates make a lot of sense. I emailed Dixie this morning and she says the pack of 4 sells for $20.  You'll need to call or email to place the order.  She also sells them at quilt shows but I'm not sure how far and wide she travels.  Dixie retired last year and closed her quilt shop, 7th Heaven, in San Antonio.   I am looking forward to buying a set later this month at the quilt show in Kerrville!

What I neglected to say is that I've gained a whole new appreciation of HSTs through this mystery quilt and even if I'd have had the templates, I wouldn't have used them.  Going forward, I won't fear the HST and all that squaring up and I might even attempt this pattern again!  :)  Thank you, Nana, for this great learning experience!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, May 3 2013 2:09 PM

Nana - even though my top is not finished yet I just want to thank you for all your time and trouble.  I have been fighting the auditioning of fabrics for the border for days - have gone through 5 different fabrics and finally went back and measured to see how much of the original fabrics I have left.  I really like just the two colors together.  By piecing the lengths of the outer border I will have just barely have enough of the burgandy to do it that way.  Hopefully it will be a top before I leave for a fun (I hope) trip on Sunday.

We are driving to Boise, flying to Las Vegas, and back to Boise to visit relatives and then home.  We will get to stay at the New York New York hotel and see the Statue of Liberty replica.  :-) That is the closest this kid will ever get to seeing the Lady!

Hopefully quilting the MQ8 will be done after that - MQ7 and the July Scrappy certainly aren't done yet. :-(

Hope things are improving for Lewis and you - take care of yourself!

Marge P

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 125,005

Marge P:
Hopefully it will be a top before I leave for a fun (I hope) trip on Sunday.

Marge, have a wonderful trip. When I first scanned your post, I thought you were actually going to New York!. We are also leaving Sunday but just for a few days and we ARE NOT FLYING. Never never never again.

We're driving, just about 250 south for my sisters 80th birthday. While there Linda and I will take an afternoon and go to Fabric Depot in Portland. Wait, didn't I vow not to buy fabric this year? Oh, maybe not, I must have imagined making that vow. LOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,460
Jacy replied on Fri, May 3 2013 5:57 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
We're driving, just about 250 south for my sisters 80th birthday. While there Linda and I will take an afternoon and go to Fabric Depot in Portland. Wait, didn't I vow not to buy fabric this year? Oh, maybe not, I must have imagined making that vow. LOL

I'm sure that vow couldn't apply to quilt stores you might encounter on a trip, it's a vacation away from home and regular rules don't apply!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695

Judy> wave at my boy while your in Portland, And tell him too do his homework for me LOL

Okay I have got nothing done on my quilt top this weekend. First I had to leave work and run to the urgent care Thurs because the outside of my arm was numb and my little finger was turning blue. Guess no big deal as long as it goes away. Seems to be getting better. Then apparently this was the weekend to rebuild the front porch. so I was out there supervising them men and watching over my plants. (which some dont look all that great now) I pitched in and painted/stained with my other hand for most of yesterday. 

Hopefully I will get back to the machine soon. I still have all my block of the months to get done.. Someone should do a block of the month and not have it come out the same day as all the other block of the months LOL

well everyone take care looks like it is going to be a beautiful day

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Sun, May 12 2013 1:47 PM

Finally finished my quilt, just need to put the binding on.  This was a great learning experience and I love the way it came out.  Thank you Nana for a great pattern.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, May 12 2013 2:29 PM

Nana thank you so much.  Here is one piece done.  It is hard to tell but the red is only slightly lighter/brighter than the wall colour but the sun is coming through the window so it looks much lighter.  I am almost done the second one just putting on the borders then I need to sandwich. They will make great blinds

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:22 PM

Marilyn

These are going to make gorgeous window treatments.   Fantastic colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, May 18 2013 1:57 PM

yoo hoo, nana, are you there?   here?   i can use all the help i can get, now.

i am ready to sew my quilt together. i recut my posts and little outside triangles.  i wanted them a different color, of course, i can't do anything simple.   i could figure this next part out myself,  but input would be nice.    i want to make those outside little triangles into squares.   what i need figuring on is:

if i attach a border with opposing triangles to match up to the existing triangles, making them squares:    how wide do i make that border?   2 1/2 inches?   how long do the segments  of the border/ background need to be?    will it be easier to make these segments like flying geese?

i am making the triangles  the same color as the existing triangles,  and the border strip they set in is the background fabric. i don't have my camera here.  do you need pictures?

i thought about just appliquing them on, but that is like giving up. they really should be pieced, in my own mind, of course. 

oh heck, i need to stop thinking and just get on with  this.    i should make them as prairie points, that would look cool.

yoo hoo, diana, are you out there?  you are my queen of prairie points, what do your think?  this shouldn't be too hard?  should it?  if i made opposing prairie points? on this border. 

doggone it.  i'm turning my brain off right now, the last thing i need to do is figure out a prairie point borders, dang it, it would be cute. then i could have prairie points going the opposite direction on the outside of the appliqued border. oh gee whiz, (gini stop thinking right now)   what you see here  is the evolution  of another UFO.  RATS !!!

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, May 18 2013 2:19 PM

ok, i think i have it figured out. 

first, it was stupid to think i could only do prairie points where the trangles were.   i'm sure you all figured that out before i finished my sentence.  i had to go cut out some triangles and see how it would look.    what i need is a continuous row of prairie points.  that should be easy, right?   i can make them the approximate size i need and adjust them, right?   i've never done prairie points before.  i think they can be overlapped.  if i make them a bit bigger than i need, i can cut them down easily, 'til they fit.   this should work out fine, with no figuring.   am i thinking about this the right way?  

so i am off to get the center done.

i love this part, the design.   i was having a bit of a problem deciding if i wanted the  posts and wee triangles  dark green to match the center or of another color, i had them on the design wall half and half.  sam came in and said, " put up your borders, then look.   the light blue triangles looked insipid.    then once i threw up a continuous row of triangles, they looked pretty darned good.   i didn't have enough of the light blue up to balance the lighter color against the dark green at first.   when sam gets back, i will get pictures and show what i'm talking about. 

thanks for listening, and if i am thinking about this sideways and it won't work, please let me know. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sat, May 18 2013 2:21 PM

marilyn your blinds will be wonderful,  nice job.

gini in north idaho

Page 8 of 12 (172 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use