General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 171 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:54 PM

One thing that might help y'all in the pressing phase...I would lay the pieced unit with dark side up on the board, fold it open at the seam to be pressed, then squash the seam open with my fingers...just pressing down, not sliding my fingers across, because you don't want to stretch the piece.  After this, the unit will lay open about like a taco shell, so you take your iron and put the edge into that opening and flip the piece open and pounce it down at the same time.  These pieces are so little that your seam doesn't have a chance to distort.

I was laying out 12 units at a time, finger-pressing them open, then smashing them with the iron, and it was a very speedy process. 

This is the method I use for all pressing because I am doing everything one-handed and needed a way to keep pieces from trying to run away before I could attack them with the iron. 

Hope this helps someone.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:30 AM

Hi People, finally a moment online. Nana, sorry to read your DH wasn't well. Glad to read he's home again. I hope he's getting better soon.

I have been working very hard on a quilt for a friend. Her mom used to quilt, but she stopped. she gave me her quiltstuff and one UFO. She was working on that quilt when her son committed suicide and she never got to love the quilt. Today is her daughters (my friends) birthday, and I wanted to finish the quilt for her. Didn't make it in time though, I still have 9 more blocks and all borders to do. For some reason, the mom already put the binding on, so it should save some time. You can imagine I only just found the time to cut all the pieces. I still have to subcut all the 1" parts. I try not to peak into the next steps to much. Getting back to the cutting table, hope to talk with you all soon.

Gerie.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 6:51 PM

I finished step 3 today , I'm only behind by a week. They are not looking straight or even and my machine chewed in places, but it will be a quilt when finished.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:32 PM

i have everything cut out, bagged and ready to go. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 10:54 PM

La-Shawn,  where in Northern Virginia are from, I live in Maryland, near Andrew AFB.  Lisa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:49 PM

So, I got everything bagged and packed,  and we got loaded onto the airplane, before I realized, duh, I need a Matt and cutter.   Oh dang, off to the store tomorrow. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 670
Prairiemom replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:57 PM

Well I got up through step 4 sewn now to trim everything up and finish pressing those hst's. It is going to take forever to trim them

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 5:58 PM

Quick question for all my mystery quilters.   For the next MQ would you like another Nana pattern or would you like for Mandy to find a designer pattern?

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,086
Points 16,660
weezee56 replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:12 PM

Nana:
Quick question for all my mystery quilters.

I will try what ever you decide to do. I really have enjoyed MQ7&8.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,611
Points 119,380

Nana:

Quick question for all my mystery quilters.   For the next MQ would you like another Nana pattern or would you like for Mandy to find a designer pattern?

Nana, loved  MQ8, it's a great design. It's my favorite design so far. But, I've also liked the others so however it works out is fine with me. It has to be lots of work for you. If you'd like to take a break and be able to enjoy a MQ, you've certainly earned it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:58 PM

Nana,

I love both MQs that you designed. So I'll be fine with another Nana creation.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 7:00 PM

Nana--I have loved the patterns you have pulled together for us.  I'm not doing City Streets right now, but I am saving the steps so that I can work on it as soon as I get a break from my current projects.

I would respectfully like to suggest that you take the next one off as planner so that you can focus on your DH.  Then you can play along with all of usa  bit more leisurely.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,935
Carmel replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 5:16 AM

Nana, I have enjoyed making MQ7 & MQ8, if you would like to make another one I am ok and ready for the next one.

If you need to take time for some needed rest after DH has been so  ill we will all understand.

Take care of yourself and thank you for such lovely mystery quilts.

Macungie, PA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:18 PM

Nana I would do either. I enjoyed doing MQ 4 5 6&8.  I never got to do MQ 7 but it's in my to do list.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:27 PM

Nana, I enjoyed MQ8 so much more than MQ7 which came from another source, so if it's not too much work for you, I'd love to do another of your originals!  I thought you laid the steps out for us very nicely!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 7 of 12 (172 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use