rated by 0 users
This post has 171 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:05 AM

Guys

This step and part of the next step are the hardest.   Then it is all downhill from there.   I think you are really going to like the final product.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,035
Points 15,820

Nana:

Guys

This step and part of the next step are the hardest.   Then it is all downhill from there.   I think you are really going to like the final product.

Thank you Nana for the pep talk.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,035
Points 15,820

Nana:

Guys

Thank you Nana for the pep talk.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 2:47 PM

To All Quilters:  A Public Service Announcement

If you see a quilt with pointy edges coming at you, back away slowly and go hide under your sewing machine!

If you want to make a quilt with pointy edges, whap yourself upside the head with a fabric bolt, then go hide under your sewing machine!

The binding on this double-size quilt took:  680" of bias binding....5 full bobbins....over 50 hours....and most importantly, it took away 4 days of my time that should have been devoted to my 5 MQ8's!

I have put binding on hundreds of quilts, but this one...WOW!!!  And I am getting paid a whole $10 for it (I agreed to this job over the phone, assuming it was a normal, straight-edge binding).  Well NEVER AGAIN!!!  Lesson learned.

Now, I am happily headed off to play with the MQ8's that have patiently been waiting for me.  Hopefully, my next photo will be of glorious piles of itty-bitty quilt parts, all done before the next step on Friday.

• Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 150
Ladymax replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 2:54 PM

I needed to hear that.  I have finished step 2 and it took 3 days. , but it is done.  

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 260

It's been so busy these past 2 weeks that I haven't started yet but will catch up quickly. Love MQ's but goofed up the last one when it said to put one pile aside for later use- of course, I put the wrong pile aside and couldn't figure out what went wrong! It still was a nice quilt- I just won't show anyone! Must get busy-

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,040
Jo replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:22 PM

God bless you. You did a wonderful job. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:19 AM

WOW Sheila,  .20 cents an hr!   you go girl!  maybe you shoulv'e cut the points off. But at least you got it done, that was very kind of you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Shelia, you poor girl,  it is beautiful,  but i would never do anything like that.   at least next time you will ask what the edges look like,  LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:51 AM

Oh my goodness Sheila, I have that cat!  The same one with the same look on her face. Oreo we call her as half of her belly is white.  Does she like to lie exactly where you want to be next too?

too funny!

Jan in Rochester NY

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 530

The edge is beautiful....but not something I would want to tackle. But God Bless you for doing it for $10.00. WOW.

What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:14 PM

Sheila:

If you see a quilt with pointy edges coming at you, back away slowly and go hide under your sewing machine!

If you want to make a quilt with pointy edges, whap yourself upside the head with a fabric bolt, then go hide under your sewing machine!

LOL!  Sheila!  The first quilt I made was the Grandmother's Flower Garden.  All those points!  I told my daughter, "That's the only uneven edge I'm ever making!"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:33 PM

Beve99,

A Grandmothers Flower Garden?  Why, oh why do us quilters tend to start out with some of the hardest patterns!  One of my first quilts was a Wedding Ring pattern.  Curved piecing; what was I thinking?  Almost made me give up on this whole quilting nonsense!  But that was hundreds of quilts ago, so I survived, luckily.

Sheila in MT

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 9:16 AM

First quilt attempt, double wedding ring.  All cut out by hand.  With center Applique. I did stop for 10 years without completing that one.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:48 PM

Sheila:

The binding on this double-size quilt took:  680" of bias binding....5 full bobbins....over 50 hours....and most importantly, it took away 4 days of my time that should have been devoted to my 5 MQ8's!

I have put binding on hundreds of quilts, but this one...WOW!!!  And I am getting paid a whole $10 for it (I agreed to this job over the phone, assuming it was a normal, straight-edge binding).  Well NEVER AGAIN!!!  Lesson learned.

Now, I am happily headed off to play with the MQ8's that have patiently been waiting for me.  Hopefully, my next photo will be of glorious piles of itty-bitty quilt parts, all done before the next step on Friday.

Beautiful Cat.  I just love cats!  The quilt isn't bad either. LOL  I can't imagine doing all of those corners.  She should be ashamed to only pay you $10 for all that work.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Page 4 of 12 (172 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use