Introduce yourself please and WELCOME

rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 92 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145

I am from Topeka as well. I have been quilting for about 9 years. I now teach out of my home while working full time. Have fun with the mystery quilt.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 3,865
Debi replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:30 AM

Hi, I'm Debi. I have read all 11 pages so far and we have lots of quilters on this one. Makes it more fun! This is my fifth mystery quilt on this site and I think my third with Nana. Thanks Nana!

I am married with three married children and nine grandchildren. I love quilting for them. I chose a bright light teal for my light and a deep navy (almost black) for my dark. My border fabric has both colors in it and is just perfect. I have all my cutting done and then found out we have two weeks in between cutting and first clue. :-(   Oh well, at least I'm ready!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Eileen, are you related to Julie? 

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145

A cousin through marriage.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I know Julie through our guild and the Stiching Traditions quilt shop where I work on Fridays. Come in and see me sometime. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:40 PM

Hi all - Nana, you have quite the following on this Mystery Quilt.  I haven't finished #6 and #7 isn't even sewn together.  However, had the fabric requirements sitting on a shelf so just have to jump in and get another UFO started.

I live in the Methow Valley - Twisp WA - Between my DH and I, we have 5 grown children, 8 grand children and 3 great granddaughters.  We will get to see 3 of the granddaughters tomorrow and all three great grands.  Looking forward to it very much.

I made my first quilt when I was 19 and pg with my first son.  I remade the quilt for him for his 50th birthday and now his two kids are wagering who is going to use the remake first.  i actually have started embroidering the baby animal blocks as I think they should both have their own.

Will post a picture of my fabrics - i originally bought the Moda Burgandy and the border print to make a tablecloth for my dining room table.  Being as that hasn't happened, figured it would be good for the mystery.

You all have posted some great fabric combos - this is going to be fun.  Thanks, Nana, for taking this on.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 4:55 PM

Bigburt:
This is a photo of other choices please tell me what you think

Bigburt, sorry to be slow getting back to you.  Are the red and blue the two fabrics at the bottom?  I think any of the fabrics 1-4 have good contrast with any of the bottom two.  Might be nice to see this photo in color, too, to know which colors look best together.  Which is your favorite combination?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 710
Bigburt replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 5:22 PM

• Nancy thanks I'm going with dark blue & white & maybe this black for the border

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 9:01 PM

Bigburt

The dark blue and white will be beautiful.   The fabric that almost looks like skyscrapers with the lights on will make a beautiful border.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 710
jadavn replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:04 AM

Hi, 

My name is Judy. I live in San Jose, CA. I have been quilting for about 12 years. I love doing mystery quilts and can't wait to get started on this one. I'm going to try very hard to keep up and finish this one on time!

Judy

San Jose, CA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 115
Shelly replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 8:41 PM

Hi Nana,

My name is Shelly and I live in Wisconsin.  I became a quilter 6-7 years when I wanted to make my husband a soldiers quilt.  We are Civil War Reenactors.  I have 3 grown children and 3 grandchildren.  I have always wanted to do a Mystery Quilt.  It is great to see what others have picked for their colors for this project.  Hope to pick my colors tomorrow and post them here also.

Shelly

Shelly from Wisconsin

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:43 PM

It has been wonderful to meet so many "new" people during this project.   I hope that I am able to lead everyone along without much confusion.  I also hope that each of you enjoy the journey.

Now just a little about me for those that don't know me.   I have been quilting for about 13yrs now and have been self taught with alot of help from some wonderful people here.   I enjoy piecing, paper piecing, applique...both hand and machine, and am really starting to love redwork...even when I don't use red...LOL>   I enjoy designing my own patterns as well as taking someone else's pattern and adding my own twist.   I really love anything purple and green but have been branching out in the colors more in the last year or so.   I am really liking some of the reds and burgundys on the market right now.    I also enjoy doing landscape quilts and have a crazy quilt that I have been working on for a couple of years now.   I take it in spurts and pull it out to work on.   My Crazy is totally crazy and isn't done in any type of block.   I am using everything from silks, satins, brocades and velvets with lots of lace and embroidery.   It is definitely a work in progress.   Maybe I will actually finish it one of these years.

I have 3 grown children and 3 grandchildren.   I also have a furbaby named Pancho.  He is a 5 pound chihuahua.   He will be getting a baby brother in about 2 wks.  His new brother is also a chihuahua and I think will be named Remy after the rat in rattatoile..sp?.   My grandson named him the first time he saw him.   He is only 5 wks old right now and will fit in one hand.    I also have 3 great dane, a boxer, a min schnauzer, a min pincher, a chihuahua, and a red bone hound furbaby grandbabies.   As well as assorted cats, mice, guinea pig and ferret grand furbabies....LOL>    Can you tell we are an animal family....LOL>

I also collect antigue sewing machines.   I have 3 treadles, a Singer 99K with the curved wooden case, a Singer 15, and a Singer Featherweight.  I also have my MIL"s old Vogue machine which looks like the antique Singers but I haven't been able to find much info on it.

Well enough about me.   I hope all enjoy your journey through the mystery quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:29 PM

Well, I was hoping to use fabric from my stash as I have so much, but I don't have enough yardage of the "solid" colors needed in this quilt, so I broke down and went shopping at Hancock Fabrics after work today.  Here's what I chose... Black and Red for the main colors, and the white & gray with black butterflies for the border.  I really hope this ends up looking good together in a finished quilt!

• Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Those are wonderful - simple and elegant. I love the depth in the red and black!

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 710
jadavn replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:50 PM

Gina,

These are great! If you have enough, I think the read would also make a great binding.

Judy

San Jose, CA

San Jose, CA

Page 11 of 13 (185 items) «Prev910111213Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use