rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 92 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:30 PM

Beth

If you will cut your fabrics exactly the way the instructions direct you will be fine.  Everyone is trying really hard to overthink this process.   Just go with the directions as they are given in each step and don't worry about any of the upcoming steps.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,221
Points 18,870
weezee56 replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 12:50 AM

My name is Louise, I'm from Michigan. I have been quilting about 15 years. I also crochet, knit and have done lots of cross stitch. Most of my quilts have been given as gifts. Friendship quilts, baby quilts galore. The last quilt finished was for my DH of 31 years. This is my second MQ. I have 2 tops ready to be quilted, and 1 over half cut out. I have 3 DD (30), DS (28) DD (25 in June) and 3 DGS (5) (2) Thank you Nana for an other MQ. I enjoyed MQ7.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

I'm trying to catch up on everything after a motorcycle trip to Florida.  Nana knew I was going to participate but I thought I'd make it official. Hi everyone, this is my first Mystery Quilt and I'm already behind. LOL. You'll find that is typical for me. ;-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
qltmys replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 10:53 AM

Hello, everyone.  I'm Qltmys (Karen) from Lewiston, Idaho.  I'm a retired college counselor/educator, now working part time as a library assistant.  My two passions are quilting and reading.  I've done my cutting and chose lime green and black because I have enough of each and also because I've been wanting to make a quilt with Halloween fabrics in a piano key border so we'll see if that works when the top is done.  Have fun!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 60

I'm Denise and I'm from Markesan, Wisconsin, which is North of Madison and Southwest of Oshkosh.  I started quilting about 35 years ago but really took it up again (OMG) 16 years ago when I talked my aunt into going to a class with me at the Tech College.  She stopped taking classes since she can't match points, but I kept going as time, money & interest allowed.

Currently I have one top I need to finish quilting, and about 4 tops that I need to do something with for my own projects.  My aunt is currently trying to do a quilt for each of her great nieces and nephews.  I do the cutting & sewing and she buys the fabric and decides on the pattern.  We're about 1/3 through the list.

This is my first mystery quilt so I'm looking forward to it.  My only question is what is the finished size going to be?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 11:34 AM

Denise

Depending on the borders you use this will finish somewhere about 60 x 65.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 229
Points 3,225
Gina replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 4:14 PM

Denise Zuhlke:

I'm Denise and I'm from Markesan, Wisconsin, which is North of Madison and Southwest of Oshkosh.  I started quilting about 35 years ago but really took it up again (OMG) 16 years ago when I talked my aunt into going to a class with me at the Tech College.  She stopped taking classes since she can't match points, but I kept going as time, money & interest allowed.

Currently I have one top I need to finish quilting, and about 4 tops that I need to do something with for my own projects.  My aunt is currently trying to do a quilt for each of her great nieces and nephews.  I do the cutting & sewing and she buys the fabric and decides on the pattern.  We're about 1/3 through the list.

This is my first mystery quilt so I'm looking forward to it.  My only question is what is the finished size going to be?

Hi Denise...I saw your post and introduction and just wanted to say hi, because I'm from Wisconsin, too.  I lived in Princeton, which isn't far from Markesan at all.  Did you ever take any classes with Sandy at Quilts & Quilting in Princeton?  I took a couple from her and don't remember all the names of everyone in the classes, so just wondering if maybe we could've ever met.

I moved to Rosholt,  (14 miles east of Stevens Point), last spring, but my parents and brother live in the Neshkoro area.  

Welcome to the group!  You're gonna love doing a mystery quilt!  This will be my 4th one since I started doing them last year.  I am addicted!  :o)

~Gina

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Hello, I am Debra and I live in Maine. I have made mystery quilts in the past and I am excited to join this group. I am intrigued by the name.  I chose my fabrics from solids I already had in the stash. A rich purple and light gray. I like the combo together. I will have to search out a border later.....

i have been quilting for 16 years now,  WOW that is a long time. I love it. Winter is a time do get more sewing done due to our weather.  I have done the cutting but have a question about the light 2 1/2 inch strips that we cut 10.... I only got 40 eight inch segments not 48. Will I need more strips?  

Thanks for the group. 

Debra 

southern Maine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Alis replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:33 PM

Hi,

My name is Alis and I finally got in to work on Mystery 8.  I live in Winston-Salem, NC and am ready for a new project.  I have to say thank you  for this site.  Last March, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through the chemo and radiation.  Just finishing up some treatment and am cancer free now.  But, one thing that helped me was Mystery Quilt 7.  I focused on that during chemo and it truly helped me get through the rough patches.  The quilters are all such an inspiration---to us all.  Thank you ladies, and I look forward to Mystery 8.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 9:14 PM

Alis

Wow...now that is an amazing testimonial.  I am so happy for you that you are now cancer free.   I am also happy that working on MQ7 was helpfully to you during your rough journey.  I hope that this one will be a happier journey.    I don't live that far from you.  I am around the Roanoke, Va area and have been in your area several times.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635
Bethiebear replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 10:04 PM

Thanks, Nana!  I will!!!  Soooo excited!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Hi, my name is Elaine, and I live near Topeka, Ks. I live in the country 5 miles from thr nearest town and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. it is very peaceful out here.I  have been quilting for about 35 years, and sewing for 60 years. That pretty much ages me, doesn't it? I have 3grown children, 8 grands and 3 great grands.  All of my kids live within 60 miles of me. i have been a widow for 5 years. I have made a total of 121 quilts, which includes large, med and small quilts. I have made several quilts for Quilts for Kids. I have made 3 or 4 MQs and one is still in the basket to finish. I am looking forward to this MQ. Nana helped me find my fabric. It has to turn out right.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 290

Hello Elaine.....I too am joining the MQ 8.   Havent done one before so hope I'll be able to keep up. I live in Australia and when I saw you  lived near Topeka I had to write to say I've been thru there a few times on my way to Manhattan.  My daughter taught at K State a few years back and I would travel over to stay with her and arrive at Kansas City airport and then get the Roadrunner shuttle bus to Manhattan.   So hello and hope we both enjoy the group!

Sandra Edwards.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 8:02 AM

Debra hartman:
the light 2 1/2 inch strips that we cut 10.... I only got 40 eight inch segments not 48. Will I need more strips

Debra

You will need to cut enough strips to get the 48   8" segments.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:05 AM

Hi My name is Gerie, I live in the Netherlands, married, two sons, 7 and 10. I've been quilting since 2004. I finished quite a lot of quilts, but started even more. I thought I already joined this group, but apparently not. Well, that is corrected now. Happy quilting to all.

Gerie.

Page 10 of 13 (185 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use