rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 92 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 60
Erica replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 6:17 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Erica and I live in Arizona. I have been in the Air Force  for 16 years. I have a beautiful 14 year old daughter who starts high school next year. I also have 3 terrible dogs that I love to death Buddy, Scruffy, and  as special needs English Bulldog  whom we call sexy pig. I am new to quilting (self tought) like most of my hobbies, unfortuneately my local quilt store just closed also. This will be my thrid quilt ever and my first myster quilt so I am very excited to get started. 

Erica

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:05 AM

Welcome, Erica and Thank You for your service to our country.

I am an active duty, Montana Air National Guard and AF Reserve veteran (15 years altogether) and my DH is retired AF, plus Dad is retired AF.  What do you in the AF?  I was in accounting and later in aircraft loading, hazardous materials during Desert Storm/Shield.  My unit was stationed here in Oklahoma city and we sent everything to Saudi Arabia. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:05 AM

Welcome, Erica and Thank You for your service to our country.

I am an active duty, Montana Air National Guard and AF Reserve veteran (15 years altogether) and my DH is retired AF, plus Dad is retired AF.  What do you in the AF?  I was in accounting and later in aircraft loading, hazardous materials during Desert Storm/Shield.  My unit was stationed here in Oklahoma city and we sent everything to Saudi Arabia. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,584
Points 26,505
Debbie replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:15 AM

Hello, Jan - I'm also a Air Force wife, now we've been retired longer than he was in (retired since 1991/in 20.5 years.)

Welcome, you'll love this site, it's become my FB replacement.

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 55
Sue replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:21 PM

Hi Everyone!  I am Sue.  I live in northern Virginia about 20 miles west of Washington DC.  I have two high-schoolers that keep me busy.   I have been quilting a lot for the past two years and loving all of the modern fabrics, patterns, ideas, etc.  I started my first quilt about 10 years ago and finished it about 4 years ago!  Needless to say, I did not know to start with something simple.  I have successfully finished several quilts since then.

I have never done a mystery quilt before and am looking forward to it.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

My name is Judy and Iive on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I've been quilting for almost 30 years and took my first lessons from Georgia Bonsteel when I lived in North Carolina. I have completed four mystery quilts at my favorite quilt shop and this will be my first on-line MQ.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 85
AmyFCM replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 1:47 PM

good quilt day for you, Sue, no?  I understand you are having a snowy day.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 60
Erica replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 6:02 PM

Debbie,

Thank you! I am an avionics systems technician...sounds fancy but basically I test the electronic parts off the jet with a test station that simulates an aircraft. Then I either fix it or I dont. Well at least thats what I used to do when I worked on the floor. Now I am a shop chief and sit in an office all day doing paperwork.  Arizona is my 5th assignment I have worked C-17 and C-141 at Charleston SC, F-117 at Alamogordo NM, F-16 at Utah, Korea, and Luke. Two depolyments to Iraq for OIF.  Honestly I love the Air Force and what it has done for me but I cant wait to retire. Everything is so different now and I just dont understand this 18-19 year old kids that are comming in now.

Thank you for your response. I am excited to be here and cant wait to start this mystery quilt.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 60
Erica replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 6:06 PM

Sue,

Thank you!  It seems that I end up teaching myself most things..cooking, crochet, and now quilting. Thank goodness I have a loving brother who also quilts and has been walking me through several steps as well as sending me easy patterns to try. I am getting better and learning things as I go. I like using scrap bags to try new things since they are less expensive. Sometimes they turn out ok. I will post a pic of the baby quilt I am doing once I finish it made from scraps from two differnt lines of fabric.

Erica

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,995
ls2116 replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:47 PM

Hi Nana,  I plan on doing this mystery .  Had so much fun on 7 and may I say you did a wonderful job!  It's a labor of love. Are fabric requirements up yet? Debating between Royal blue and Lime , or periwinkle and white for fabric.

Thanks again Nana.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 55
Sue replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 9:08 AM

HI AmyFCM,

Much more hype than snow!  This is usual for our area though.  The forecast is notoriously unreliable.  

Great to have a day for the teenagers to sleep in though.  They don't get much rest around here.  I was able to get in a little sewing even though I had a full house when it's usually just me and the dog.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 20,390

Hello! 

I'm Carolyn.  I live in Raleigh NC with my husband and a bunch of animals.  I really shouldn't be starting another project, but I'm intrigued by what I've heard so far about this MQ and really don't want to miss it, so I'm doing it anyway.  Or at least following along and saving directions.  I kept up with the last one until I got the top finished, but I'll most likely fall behind on this one.  I'm ok with that.  My round robin and the chicken coop I'm building are my top non-work-related priorities now, since those have real deadlines.  This will probably be a top-runner for attention once those are done.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 6:21 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Mona and I live in Bakersfield, CA. I've been sewing for nigh onto....hmmmm....holy crap, Batman, 45 years? That cant be, I'm only 60!! I've been learning to quilt for the last 3, I guess. Boy...you'd think with all those years behind me I'd be better at it?! Celebrating my hubbys and mines 20th anniversary in may. Have 4 kids between us and 8 grandchildren between them! I work fulltime but looking to retire next year. Hooray! (more time to quilt and stuff)

I've done a Mystery Quilt before, and had so much fun with it. I even finished the quilt! So, I'm looking forward to this one, too. Yes, Deb, Life is Good...one of my fav sayings...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:15 PM

HI everyone!  I live in Big Bear, CA.  I am a small business owner but mostly just a house wife.  I am a hand quilter although I do my piecing these days on my sewing machine.  Please be patient with me because I just got my own laptop and am learning new software.  Things like hooking the camera to computer to load pics I haven't learned yer but is on  my schedule for this week.  I followed a mystery quilt with McCall's magazine and had a blast.  It made a great Christmas gift for my granddaughter.   If anyone has pointers to teach this old dog new tricks please share.  I am a self taught sewer and quilter...so please share tips.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 290

Hello from Australia. 

This is the 2nd time I think I've written this but must be doing something wrong as i havent had a Welcome response.  Or else....and this could be the problem....I'm not looking in the right place.  I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers .  I spoke to people a few years back on here for chats but thats about it.  I'm wanting to join MQ 8 now and getting excited but havent seen any follow up to my joining.      My name is Sandra Edwards and I live in Churchill in the Latrobe Valley down in the state of Victoria. So I hope this gets to the right place to be able to participate.   Help??   

• Post Points: 50
Page 6 of 13 (185 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use