Anyone that ordered a kit from MSQC

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana Posted: Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:22 AM

If you ordered a kit to do this quilt please let me know and I will try to help you with figuring out how to work around the shortages.   They keep telling me that the kits will work.   The person that designed this pattern doesn't write patterns.   Sorry for the confusion.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:46 PM

Nana, are you telling us that MSQC has provided a pattern not tested? and are you saying that yet again MSQC has provided a kit that may not be correct, as they did short the $60 kit for Bittersweet. I sure hope that is not the case for those who have purchased this kit or any fabric requirements  to follow along. My fabrics are from stash however if you priced the bundle out it would be approximately $60+ IN JUST THE FQ'S. Is this why there has been so much confusion/ discussion about the wording? we haven't even got to the piecing.
I have looked twice at the kits, the web site doesn't give you the option to click onto the kit to see what you are actually buying.   I went to the home page and found the Tyler twice charm pack that shows there are 32 cuts 5.5 x 22 it that is cut into 9.5 bricks there will be 64 bricks, resulting in  32 stacks to sub cut into the 3.5" and 2" required stacks to start. http://www.missouriquiltco.com/tyler-twice-the-charm-by-yuko-hasegawa-for-rjr-fabrics-sku-9656-154.html 
from the QCA link I don't see the fabrics well so I cannot even tell if this is the correct pack.  The other fabric kit choice Hope isn't listed anywhere else on the site that I could find.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:21 PM

Caryl Anne

The pattern had been made but it was one of those that the person took the precut Twice the Charm and just sewed things together.  Then when the pattern was written there were things in the pattern fabric requirements that are wrong.   Sorry.   The Tyler kit will work just fine as cut.  You will just need to leave two pieces out of the precuts.   The Hope kit however only has 27 strips in the Twice the Charm pack.  You could do 5 rows of 5 blocks but not 6 rows.   The border fabric to use for the 5 1/2 in border was sent as a 1 yd cut.  This will work if you cut very carefully.  It will take 33 inches to make the borders.   One option with the Hope kit is to find a solid fabric that will go with the fabrics in the kit and cut  three  5 1/2 x 20 strips so that you have a total of 30 strips.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,543
Points 51,255
Ginny replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:18 PM

I purchased the tyler kit and have all the twice the charm pieces cut.  My concern was that there is only 1 yard of the one print instead of the 1 1/4 yds required.   Ginny

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Nana, I wonder then why are we using a pattern not tested, or why wasn't it revised if you knew it was wrong? , and why was MSQC offering another 'kit' wrongly cut?  this is not the first time, perhaps with all the other wonderful sponsors at QCA next time we can have a pattern used and ready with revised fabrics and cutting instructions that every level of quilter can follow without so many questions.

Ginny has purchased the Tyler and she says it all... wrong fabric cut. 1/4yd = 9" that is a lot of fabric. what if those cutting instructions on the borders are wrong?? + you will need to straighten the fabric so your border cuts will be on the straight of grain, or worse perhaps the borders are to be cut lengthwise grain. so those 9" are really important in that case. .
nothing harder than piecing an off grain strip to a straight grain cut; when the piecing is done nothing is straight in the block. I hope all works out for you Ginny and the others who bought their kit.
OK sorry but I am not saying another word about this, I will wait to see what transpires in the next set of instructions.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:55 PM

Caryl Anne

I didn't know that the pattern was wrong until I started piecing my top and by then the fabric requirements had already been posted.   At that time I put into the thread the things that I did differently from the pattern.  I didn't get the pattern until a couple days before the requirements were posted.  I didn't start working on the quilt until after the first step had been posted.   I am trying really hard to make sure everyone understands the best way to do this pattern and has a good time with the project;  I don't like trying to fix the mistakes in someone else's pattern any more than you want to have the issues with the pattern.   But I will continue to do the best I can to make this project as straight forward as possible.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:08 PM

Thank You Nana, I am sure that now everyone knows that there were problems & we can wait to see that your found knowledge will lead us correctly.
I appreciate the honesty.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 8,740
Jan replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:38 PM

Nana,

I purchased the Tyler kit and as you already know it has only the 32 strips with the 1 yard instead of the 1/14. The pattern calls for 40 strips. I will happily make it with the 30.  I have placed a call and have sent an e-mail to see what they are willing to do to rectify their mistake. The "missing" lengths of fabrics add up to 22 inches of fabric.  I will watch for you to post your guiding hand. At the same time the 22" of strips along with the 1/4 yard of border fabric is almost a yard of fabric. That is a  lot of missing fabric. Since they made the pattern and sold he kit almost sight unseen (my error) they should fix it. I will keep you informed of my progress with them.  Should I just plan on cutting with the 30 and see what happens next? I truly appreciate your help.  I have to agree with Caryl Anne though.  "fool with me once shame on me, fool with me twice shame on me"  Time to take our pattern needs to one of our other wonderful sponsor's.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:08 PM

Jan

The 30 strips will make a nice size lap quilt.   If I have done my math  correctly you should be able to get the border out of 33 in. of fabric so the yard will work.   I agree though....if they are going to print fabric requirements their kits should reflect the same amount of fabric.   Very sorry for the problem.  I did talk to MSQC but they seemed to think the kits would work.  Doesn't seem quite right though that they advertise quilt kits for a pattern and then not have the same amount of fabric in the kits.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825
papple00 replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:24 PM

I purchased the "Tyler Twice The Charm" kit.  I have not started cutting yet.  Please let me know what I will need to do differently.  Thank you.

papple00

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:47 PM

papple

The Twice the Charm roll has 32 strips instead of 40.   If you use 30 of the strips to do the initial cuts you will be able to make 30 blocks which can be used in a 5 block by 6 rows layout,   I found this to work very well.   It I have done my math correctly in can get the 5 1/2 in border out of the yard ship.    You should need 33 inches,

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825
papple00 replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:27 AM

Thank you Nana.  I think that will be fine.  I am hoping to get started on this after Thanksgiving.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 415

Jan,  I also have purchased the Tyler and am expecting it to arrive in the next few days.  Since I am a fairly new quilter, I may have lots of questions when I start work on this.   If I become a pest let me know.

Nana, Thanks for all your inputs so far.   If people know how to print this string to a pdf file that may be helpful to do that and print it out.   I have done that so I have it on hand and don't have to run to my computer for referral to tips from everyone.  Just a thought.

Connie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Connie Ehrhard:
If I become a pest let me know.

Hi Connie, nice to meet you. As for being a pest - you cannot be a pest asking questions, the members here are very generous with their help so ask away.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use