Please ask cutting questions here

rated by 0 users
This post has 110 Replies | 34 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 375

Pat, after you sew the two pieces together, you cut 4" off (crosswise) which will leave you with a 5.5 inch piece.  You don't cut the piece into just 4" wide pieces - just one 4" wide piece.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 375

Spudgrandma:

Hi DeborahC53 it is nice to meet you and I'm happy you are going to do the MQ with us!

Hi Spudgrandma and thanks for the welcome.  I hope to keep up with this one, but I have so many UFOs in the works, we'll have to wait and see. :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 469
Points 7,500

DeborahC53:

Pat, after you sew the two pieces together, you cut 4" off (crosswise) which will leave you with a 5.5 inch piece.  You don't cut the piece into just 4" wide pieces - just one 4" wide piece.

Thanks I got it now.

Pat B

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:51 PM

Pat B

Sorry I wasn't able to get to you sooner.  I have had internet issues all day.   You will end up with 40  4 x 8 1/2 and 40  5 1/2 x 8 1/2 strips.   As well as having the 40  2 x 9 1/2 strips that were set aside.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 469
Points 7,500

Nana:

Sorry I wasn't able to get to you sooner.  I have had internet issues all day.   You will end up with 40  4 x 8 1/2 and 40  5 1/2 x 8 1/2 strips.   As well as having the 40  2 x 9 1/2 strips that were set aside.

Thanks Nana I got it  Just read directions wrong. All done with this step, now have to wait for next one.  Wishing a sucessful surgery, and a speedy recovery. I find out on the 26 of this month when I will be having my carparal tunnel surgery on my left hand. Been trying to work ahead of myself. I am working on several ideas for my next RR that starts in January. I know once I have my surgery it will be about 6 weeks before I will have total use of my left hand. Thank goodness I'm right handed so this go shouldn't be too bad of a set back. My thoughts and prayers go your way Nana.

Pat B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:16 PM

Pat B

Thanks so much for your prayers.  They are greatly appreciated..   I will remember you in mine.  Carpal Tunnel is no fun but thankfully the surgery is usually very successful and recovery usually goes well.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 415

Good luck with your sugery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Deborah, you are most welcome. I hope you will finish with us also, it is a short one so hopefully we will all get it done. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Pat Badder:
I find out on the 26 of this month when I will be having my carparal tunnel surgery on my left hand.

Hopefully the surgery will not put you out of commission for too long.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Connie, I may have said Hi already, my poor brain forgets sometimes :) but just in case, Hi and nice to meet you.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 90

I can't even find where to post a comment so here I am..  Hi to everyone. I am a newby and the more I read here the more confused I get.  I ordered the Hope Cove kit and as you all know it is short.  I only have 27 strips to work with and that is not enough.  So what do I do?  That would only make 54 51/2 x 91/2 strips..Am I right so far?  Then I am lost. I e-mailed MQC but they haven't answered yet.  I feel like a real dummy tat I can't figure this out.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:32 AM

bpfrimmer

Yes the Hope kit is short.  I recommend that you find 3 fabrics in your stash in complimentary colors and cut 3 more 5 1/2 x 20 strips.  This will give you a total of 60  5 1/2 x 9 1/2 strips which will make 30 blocks.  I haven't had much luck getting MSQC to increase the fabrics in either kit.  I hope that this will work for you.   Or you can use the 27 strips that came with the kit and use a 5 block x 5 rows using only 25 strips to make your quilt top.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 415

You did say hi, but it is nice to meet you again.   My MSQC kit will be here next week, so we shall see what happens.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 105

I DID IT/////// NOW I NEED MORE FAB> YOU CAN LAUGH AT YPURSELF A BUNGH WHEN YOU ARE SEWING> karrollann

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
jennydoan replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:30 PM

Hi everyone, 

This is Jenny from Missouri Star and the kit is NOT short.

Most precuts come with 40 strips so I just miss spoke.  I made the Hope cove quilt with 27 and the Tyler quilt with 32 strips....I am so sorry for the confusion.  If you have ever watched my tutorials, I just make the quilt using the precut.  It is a different way of thinking.  But if you just follow the cutting instructions with what you have it will work I promise!!!!!  You may have an extra square, but you will have enough to make the mystery....I hope this helps and again I am so sorry....I am a visual person and can show you, but I am not a pattern writer....

Page 7 of 8 (111 items) «Prev45678Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use