rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,085
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:20 AM

Annie

I think if you add some solids in dark and medium this will work fine.  Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:58 PM

Nana:

Janet

That is exactly right.  The pattern does call for 40.  However I found that there wasn't a good layout for 40 blocks.   You can use 30 and do a layout of 6 rows of 5 blocks.  Or you can cut 2 more of each size and have 42 blocks and do a layout of 7 rows of 6 blocks.

Nana does the pattern not give you a layout? Did the pattern not give you backing requirements, I've just read and responded to the kit thread, I've had a lot of questions, however, I had thought to not respond until after seeing the next step on Friday, but now I am concerned that there may be underlying problems from the start. Your statement that you have not finished the top, therefore had not measured for backing, and that you only used 30 blocks,  yet the instruction page was never revised. Do you imagine what all the questions have done to beginners> even we seasoned quilters are asking many questions. Personally I have two pages of questions, that I haven't seen addressed as yet. hum I'm hoping that this is going to be OK. I'm wondering why we are going to work a mystery pattern that has not been tested.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,085
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:34 PM

Caryl Anne

The pattern does not give how many blocks to use per row or how many rows to use.   I found that 30 makes a good sized lap quilt.  When the pattern was written the person didn't take into consideration that the Twice the Charm precuts aren't standardized at 40 strips like jelly rolls are.   I didn't think to put backing fabric requirements with the pattern as I don't decide on backing until I have finished my quilt top.   I so frequently don't follow the border designs in patterns and thus need different backing requirements.  

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:40 PM

Oh poo, you ladies are stressing too much, I have complete faith in Nana, she is good at figuring this stuff all out, I will just go with the flow on what she says we need to do it will all be alright

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
Janni61 replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:20 AM

Thank you Nana - so looking forward to this :)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
Janni61 replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:22 AM

I love this fabric Annie it's so pretty!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Hanin61, it is nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you as we do this MQ

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

I am picking my fabrics (yeah, I'm way behind already LOL) and have a few questions.....

I am thinking of a controlled scrappy quilt....I'd like to make sure one particular print is repeated throughout the quilt as it is my focus piece that all the colors were chosen to coordinate with..... is there one cut that this would be better suited for?

I am also toying with really digging into my scraps. If a piece was only in the quilt once, would it stand out?

Based on the layout, (and my above ponderings), if I were going scrappy, would a particular value be better in a particular size? (should I make my 2" strips light, my 3" strips med, and my 5" strips dark) or should I just mix it all up and go for it?

I love mystery quilts because they take the control out of my hands....I hate mystery quilts  because they take the control out of my hands :)

Thank you SO much! Looking forward to some answers.

Karyn in CT

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 131
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:01 PM

Those are great questions, Karyn. I'd be interested to know that myself!

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,085
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:17 PM

Karyn

Just mix all the fabrics up.   It will look better with a true scrappy than trying to control your fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 131
Points 2,300
Tracy replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:29 PM

Nana:

Just mix all the fabrics up.   It will look better with a true scrappy than trying to control your fabrics.

...And a great answer! Thanks Nana...I too just was curious, and obviously we are trying to pick your brain and get you to reveal a little something sooner, haha! 

Karyn: throw caution to the wind (or your stash, as luck would have it) and go with the flow then! How exciting! :)

~Tracy

Western Massachusetts

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 887
Rochelle replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:00 AM

Max, Thank you very much! This is the first time I've heard of this and it sounds great! Thanks for  the link, too!

Rochelle

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 745
kwag replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:38 PM

Hi and thank you for hosting this MQ.  After looking at my stash, I came up with the following fabrics.  Will they work ok?  I'm very week on my colors.  I also only picked 10 fabrics. If I read the instructions correct. These 10 fabrics will give me 4 pieces  of a 5 1/2x9 1/2, 3 1/2 x 9 1/2 and 2 x 9 1/2  of each fabric color , correct?? Now I just need to see if I can figure out how to attach my fabric choices. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Kwag, it is nice to meet you. You threw me there for a  minute combining both the cutting directions and the Step 2 :)  But yes, I believe you are correct.  Glad you have joined us.  

Actually, looking at the directions again - when you make your first cut you end up with 3 stacks of 5.5" x 9.5" and 3.5" x 9.5" and 2" x 9.5" ... Then in the next step, after you sew and cut you will have 3 stacks again - they will be 2" x 9.5" and 4" x 8.5" and 5.5" x 8.5"

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 745
kwag replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:38 PM

yes as you can see I'm not too good at my math skills when it comes to the quilts. I'm at the point that I was just sewing them all together.

Kendall

Page 6 of 7 (97 items) «Prev34567Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use