Ask Fabric requirement questions here.

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,589

Bmetzger52:

Are there any recommendations for fabric choices?  Would all blues (or other color) or would a variety of fat quarter prints and colors (sort of scrappy) be better?  This is my first mystery quilt so I am looking for a little guidance.  Thank you.

Hi and nice to meet you.

As for the question about colors, like any quilt you make the color choices are your own unless you buy a kit. I'm sure you could use blues as long as you have the dark - medium - light colors. This is my first MQ also but I've kind of watched along as they did some of the others and I think it will make sense soon. There are lots of people here to help and Nana will pop in soon.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:09 AM

Max

26 strips won't be enough.  You will need at least (30) 5 1/2 x 20 strips.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:11 AM

Rochelle

Twice the Charm is a special size precut.   It is a precut roll of strips 5 1/2  x  20.   Missouri Star Quilt Co has several different patterns in Twice the Charm.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:15 AM

Good Morning/Afternoon Nana,

I know there will be a lot of questions but mine is about the kits from MSQC. I am certainly HAPPY that they are offering  a selection of kits to choose from. I would like to know if the Tyler Mystery kit uses the Tyler Twice the Charm by Yukon Hasegawa for RJR fabrics? Also would you mind clarifying if we use a twice the charm selection how many 5.5x22 inch pieces we would need for the quilt according to chosen mystery pattern since they are packaged in different quantities at MSQC? 

I do apologize if you have already answered this question. 

Thanks,

Bev

OK, I went back and read the instructions so I know how many pieces I need if using a twice the charm cut. I am going to hope that the MSQC kit uses this cut also.

Sorry about the question Nana!

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:15 AM

Loonwatcher

If you do the pattern with just the 2 borders that are suggested  the finihed size will be approximately 57 x 68.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:16 AM

Bmetzer

I would suggest using a variety of colors and prints for a more scrappy appearance.  I don't think this pattern will work well with all one color.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:18 AM

PennyWyo

The pattern does get cut more than this initial cutting.   With the size of the snowmen I think you would still have at least part of your snowmen intact.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:20 AM

Debbie Do

This pattern was actually designed to use several different fabrics.   As long as the 20 FQs coordinate well the overall effect will be perfect.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:25 AM

Erin

The kit will include the fabrics needed to do the quilt top.  If you want to add  an additional  border you will need to purchase fabric for this.  You will also need backing fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,265
Erin replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:32 AM

Thank you; going to buy my kit now!

Nana:

Erin

The kit will include the fabrics needed to do the quilt top.  If you want to add  an additional  border you will need to purchase fabric for this.  You will also need backing fabric.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 555

Would this pattern work with all solids?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:58 PM

slowstitches

It would probably work with anything as long as there is variation between lights, medium., darks.   I haven't seen it made up with all solids but I feel sure it would be pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 125
Points 1,270
Mindy replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:42 PM

Nana~

Thank you so much for hosting this for us! I was hoping to make a Christmas quilt this year, but, had not run across a pattern that called out to me. When I saw you were holding the Mystery Quilt 7 session and that it would be done before Christmas it just seemed like a good idea. Our local Joanns was having a GREAT sale today and it all just fell together for me. I had some of the fabrics in my stash already and the rest were on sale. I LOVE scrappy quilts and this one is sounding like it will be. When I cut I ended up with 36 in each pile so I will see if I can turn it into a 6 block by 6 block, otherwise I will use the left overs to make placemats to match! I am including a pic of the fabrics I picked...hope everyone else does too! The pepermint will be the backing, blue inner border, and Christmas kitties the outer border.

Thanks again Nana...am looking forward to this! ~Mindy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 2,925
Candy replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:04 PM

Ok Nana, you are such a dear and have sooooo much patience.  Now that I understand the cutting instructions, about fabric requirements. 

If I have only 10 different fabrics (not FAQs), will duplicating the fabric have a detrimental effect on the finished quilt, since I will get 4 @ 5 1/2 x 22 strips from each fabric, for a total of 40 strips from 10 fabrics,  versus 2 @ 5 1/2 x 22 strips from each of 20 different FQs, for a total of 40 strips?  

I guess what I am asking, will duplicating the 10 fabrics, will there be some visual effects problems versus using 15 different pieces of fabric (not FQs).

Candy in Norborne MO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:16 PM

Candy

I really don't think limiting to 10 different fabrics will be determental to the quilt.   It is really a very forgiving pattern.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 7 (97 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use