Ask Fabric requirement questions here.

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana Posted: Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:43 PM

Please use this thread to ask all questions about fabric.   I will answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 290
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 373
Points 4,980
Annette replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:45 PM

Hi Nana

I'm looking forward to trying this mystery out.    I'm thinking of a couple of different fabric schemes for this.    First thought is that I have a enough 30s related prints in FQs and in various colors/prints.   I'm thinking of using those, but not sure it they'll come across as true light-med-dark values.    Thoughts?

Annette

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:47 PM

Annie

If you want to use 30s prints you might want to throw in a solid white just for contrast.   It will make a beautiful quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:50 PM

Addendum to requirements

I have done the math on this so many times that I finally gave up and just cut a strip.   With a 1/4 yd cut you will get 4 blocks from each strip.   I would use 10 different fabrics.   If you are wanting to expand the size you could do 1/3 yd cut and get 8 blocks out of the yardage by cutting 2 strips.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

So somehow I got confused and thought that I needed 40 FQs, but if I'm reading the instructions correctly I only need 20 unless I want to make it larger???      

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:24 AM

That is correct Spud.   20 FQs will be enough.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

Nana,

I'm confused.  But you already know that...so here's my question:  I have a Twice the Charm bundle ( 5 1/2 X 22 inch strips), but there are only 26 pieces in the bundle. Will that be enough pieces?  If I am understanding your instructions, you used 30 strips.  Will I need to come up with additional fabric to make up the additional 4 strips?    I'm confused cause the instructions say a Twice the Charm using 40 pieces.

Thanks so much for hosting this mystery quilt, and sorry to be so confused so early!

Max

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 842

Nana,  Please forgive my ignorance. Is "Twice the Charm" a special fabric amount or the name of a particular pattern?

Rochelle

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 110

I see lots of comments about "if you want to increase the size"...  Can you please tell me what the size of the MQ 7 quilt will be?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

Are there any recommendations for fabric choices?  Would all blues (or other color) or would a variety of fat quarter prints and colors (sort of scrappy) be better?  This is my first mystery quilt so I am looking for a little guidance.  Thank you.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 344
Points 5,990

Hi Nana,

I know you are so busy answering questions so I hate to hit you up with this one too, but......as I was going through my Christmas fabric, I found a fantastic snowman (head and hat only) print that would look so cute with this.  I think I can somewhat plan my strips to the point you have given for cutting so I have a seam allowance and don't cut in the middle of all the snowmen.  But without you giving away too much information, will we be cutting these up a lot more where I could still loose  a lot of the snowmen?  This would make a super light fabric and the snowmen would stand out perfect but don't want to do it if things are going to get cut up lots more.  Thanks for your feedback, Nana.  Oh, the snowmen are about 1 1/2 x 1 3/4.

Penny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,475

Nana:

That is correct Spud.   20 FQs will be enough.

Will 20 FQs of all different but coordinated fabrics be toooo scrappy? (I may be asking the wrong person that!  LOL)  .  Goofy me, I thought 10 fabrics=10 FQs.

We'll need at least 20 FQs to complete the basic instructions?

Thanks Nana!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

Rochelle,

I'm not Nana, but I think I can help with your question:  'Twice the Charm' is a type of pre-cut fabric bundle.  The strips are all 5 1/2 X 22 inches, and  from a coordinated fabric group.  Below is a link to the TtC pre-cuts at Missour Star Quilt Co., for an example.  

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/pre-cut-fabric/dessert-rolls-twice-the-charm-candy-bars.html

Hope this helps!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Annette:

Hi Nana

I'm looking forward to trying this mystery out.    I'm thinking of a couple of different fabric schemes for this.    First thought is that I have a enough 30s related prints in FQs and in various colors/prints.   I'm thinking of using those, but not sure it they'll come across as true light-med-dark values.    Thoughts?

Hi Annette, I wanted to say Hi and nice to meet you. As for your question and as I understand it you can use what ever you want as long as you have darks, mediums, and lights. You can also post pictures of what you have and ask for input from others. Again, Hi and welcome.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,146
Points 15,700
Erin replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:23 AM

Good morning Nana. I know that you're probably swamped with this starting today and I am sorry to bother you with such a silly question but I am lost. I have never bought a "kit" and I was wondering if the kit from MSQC includes EVERYTHING (fabric for center, borders & backing) or do I need to buy more than the kit? I understand I will buy batting myself but I am worried about the top and the back right now. Thank you-

Erin

• Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 7 (97 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use