Questions About Fabric Requirements or Cutting Instructions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 31 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:

Hi Sandy, If short on the 4 1/2 " squares would it hurt the design to make it shorter than 81"?   I usually make throws in the  60"  square give or take  a few inches.

Betty, I'm sure that would work but I can't tell you how many squares to eliminate at this time because I haven't put my top together yet.  I'll see if I can figure it out from the directions and get back to you in a few days.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Marilyn B:

Hi Sandy, thank you again for leading us.  Could you make sure they post a pdf copy of the instructions so I can download and print so that I have a copy by my cutting/sewing tables please and thank you.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I will send QCA Mandy a note since this is her first MQ and she may not be aware of the PDF file.

Southwest Florida

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 8:42 PM

Am I understanding that the background fabric can also be scrappy, just so I maintain balance between the values of background and 2 1/2 inch squares

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

If I am using fabric from my stash for the 2.5" squares how many different fabrics should I use?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:11 PM

Pat Badder:

I got 2 yards of the light material and did not have enough for squares I was short 16 squares. I ended up calling Missour Star Quilt Co, and talked to a representative and explained my problem. they took care of it for me and is sending me an additional 1/4 yard of material to finish my squares for the quilt. The jelly Roll will make more than enough 2 1/2' squares. i got 16 to 17 squares per strip and we only need 628. I will have some extra ones to add to my stash.

I got my kit yesterday and after seeing that some of you are running short of the background fabric, I called Missouri Star and the person I talked to said that they are aware of the problem and will send out 1/4 yard extra at no charge.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

dardar:

Am I understanding that the background fabric can also be scrappy, just so I maintain balance between the values of background and 2 1/2 inch squares

Dardar,

I think you might want to keep your background all the same and keep it subtle.  If you make it too busy or scrappy I don't think your blocks will stand out and you will loose the pattern.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Mary Tucker:

If I am using fabric from my stash for the 2.5" squares how many different fabrics should I use?

Hi Mary,

The more different fabrics you have the better.  I had 35 different fabrics and wish I had used more.  If you look at Pat's fabrics in the media section of this group, those are the ones I used.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

MSQ contacted me today to let me know they are adding additional background fabric to the kits.  If you have already received your kit and need more background fabric, just call or e-mail them and they will send you more.  They are really excited about being a part of this MQ and want to be sure we have a fun experience. 

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 7:47 PM

Sandy - I have lots of 2 1/2" squares from previous projects my question is how light the background should be?? I try to use some fabrics from my stash and wonder what to use?? I have some medium blues and some mint green which is very light.

Zsofia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Zsofia:

Sandy - I have lots of 2 1/2" squares from previous projects my question is how light the background should be?? I try to use some fabrics from my stash and wonder what to use?? I have some medium blues and some mint green which is very light.

Zsofia

Zsofia,

Anything you have in a light color should work well.  Especially if most of your small squares are medium to dark fabrics with a few light squares mixed in.  Just pick something you like.

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 4:19 PM

Sandy H.:

Zsofia:

Zsofia

Zsofia,

Anything you have in a light color should work well.  Especially if most of your small squares are medium to dark fabrics with a few light squares mixed in.  Just pick something you like.

Thanks Sandy. I will get the lighter fabric out.

Zsofia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 60
Nancy L replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 3:34 PM

I have lots of 2 1/2" squares already on hand.  Do you think I should color cordinate or anything goes as long as it contrasts

with the BG?  I plan on using one fabric for the BG.

Nancy L

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Nancy L:

I have lots of 2 1/2" squares already on hand.  Do you think I should color cordinate or anything goes as long as it contrasts

with the BG?  I plan on using one fabric for the BG.

Nancy L

Nancy, anything goes.  The more variety you have the scrappier it will be.  And a one fabric backgound is good.

Southwest Florida

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 145
Points 1,895
Denise replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:47 PM

If we are using jelly roll strips, are they washed prior to use?  I would think not because of the possibility of distortion.  Am I correct?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 5:15 AM

Denise,

You are correct. They aren't prewashed, and shouldn't be prior to completing the quilt.  If I use unwashed fabrics in my quilts, I just take care to wash them in cold water and dry on a low temperature. So far, it seems to work just fine and I haven't had any problems with distortion or shrinkage.

Page 3 of 4 (54 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use