Ask questions on Step 3 here.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 140
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,160
didash replied on Thu, May 3 2012 11:49 PM

Newbie here (LOL) - If I understand the directions correctly, we are doing half of step 2 with the blocks in step 3? Trimming the same way? And I assume that we sew the row(s) of 12 and 16 together (each row separate, of course).  Sandy, I know you're probably saying to yourself, "Well, Duh!".....but I'd rather ask and look dense rather than rip out - I HATE ripping out!! LOL!  Thanks for your patience and all of your hard work.  This has been an incredible experience for my second quilt!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 165

I'm not sure if I'm doing the math right, but I would have 8 4.5 squares left, not 4???  We cut 160, used 96 then 56=152...so 8 left...is this right?  I don't want to miss something...thanks :)

Cherie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,705
Points 38,170
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:23 AM

don' want to assume anything i'll be lucky if i can complete my mess .          ok, two rows of twelve squares all connecting or separate horizontal or vertical or make two square units like pictured x12?  same question for the 16?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

didash:

Newbie here (LOL) - If I understand the directions correctly, we are doing half of step 2 with the blocks in step 3? Trimming the same way? And I assume that we sew the row(s) of 12 and 16 together (each row separate, of course).  Sandy, I know you're probably saying to yourself, "Well, Duh!".....but I'd rather ask and look dense rather than rip out - I HATE ripping out!! LOL!  Thanks for your patience and all of your hard work.  This has been an incredible experience for my second quilt!

didash, there are no DUH! questions.  :)

Yes, you are doing half of step two.  Sew, trim, press.  Then sew the rows of 12 and 16 together.  The best way to do that is to sew all your squares in pairs matching the 2.5 squares like the picture shows, then sew the pairs together in of 2 rows of 12 and 2 rows of 16.  Then add a 4.5 background square to the end of the rows with 16 blocks.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

dragonflys4:

I'm not sure if I'm doing the math right, but I would have 8 4.5 squares left, not 4???  We cut 160, used 96 then 56=152...so 8 left...is this right?  I don't want to miss something...thanks :)

Yes, you may have 4 squares left after this step.  The original instructions had an error in the number of blocks needed for this step and I did not catch it until I made the step.  Hold on to those extras just in case we need to make any more of these squares later.  You won't have to unsew any blocks if you make 56 squares needed for this step.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

ls2116:

don' want to assume anything i'll be lucky if i can complete my mess .          ok, two rows of twelve squares all connecting or separate horizontal or vertical or make two square units like pictured x12?  same question for the 16?

Don't worry about being able to finish.  If you've made it through steps one and two you've got the hard part done.  It's all downhill from here!

Once you sew all your corner squares on then ptess and trim, just like we did in step two.  The only difference is you only sew a square to one corner.  Then take all the squares and sew them together in pairs being sure to match the corners with the 2.5 square like shown in the picture.  Then take your pairs and sew them together in two rows of 12 and two rows of 16 so that you have 4 long skinny rows.  Add a 4.5 background square to the end of the rows with 16 squares.

I have to get ready for work now, but I will post a picture tonight of a completed row.

Ok, here's a picture of part of a row.  The whole row won't fit in the picture.  For the row of 12 blocks, sew them together in pairs being sure the 2.5 blocks are matched.  You now have six pairs which you then sew together into a row.  Do the same thing with the row of 16, then add a plain 4.5"background  square to the end of these rows.  DO NOT SEW A PLAIN 4.5 BACKGROUND SQUARE TO THE ROWS OF 12 BLOCKS.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Fri, May 4 2012 6:34 AM

I'm not sure if we are to make 56 or 52 ?  we started with 628, used 384, then used 192., that leaves 52. I have plenty, but...

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

Ginny Lunsford:

I'm not sure if we are to make 56 or 52 ?  we started with 628, used 384, then used 192., that leaves 52. I have plenty, but...

Ginny, I also have 52 - 2 1/2" squares left........???????????

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, May 4 2012 8:44 AM

I am too much of a visual learner, can someone show me what these 2 rows of 12 and 2 rows of 16 looks like???  I really can't wrap my head around what it looks like.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 535
J_Line replied on Fri, May 4 2012 11:52 AM

It's my first MQ. I really enjoy it.

I'm a newbie and have a question : my squares are not all 4.5'' aside. Now that we are in step 3, should I cut them and make them all the same size ? or decrease the seam allowances ?

Thanks

Line in Switzerland

Line  in Switzerland

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, May 4 2012 2:38 PM

Marsha-SM:

Ginny Lunsford:

Ginny & Marsha,  I did the math and came up with needing 632 of the 2.5 inch squares which is 4 extra.  I used a jelly roll and I know I had extra because I was able to get 17 squares from each strip (17 x 40 = 680) .     Looks like we will have 4 extra 4.5 inch squares and need 4 more of the 2.5 inch ones.  With a scrappy quilt like this it won't be noticed if you have to add a few 'other' fabrics as long as they are of the same 'type' as the rest of what you have (e.g batik with batiks,  reds with reds, etc.)

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 85

Hi....I don't know how this happened, but I'm five 4.5" blocks short!  I sewed 2.5" squares on 51 of the 4.5" blocks (should have been 56) and put 4 of the 4.5" squares aside to sew to the ends of the rows, as indicated in Step 3.   I have no more fabric left.  What do I do? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Ginny Lunsford:

Ginny,

You will sew 2.5 corners on 56 background squares,  Then you use 4 additional background squares (without 2.5 squares sewn to them) to put on each end of the 16 square rows.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Marsha-SM:

Marsha,

Unless you really "over-cut" the quantity you needed, you shouldn't have that many left over.  Did you recount to be sure you made enough of the blocks in the first two steps?

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use