Questions about Step 1?

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. Posted: Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:23 PM

Please limit posts in this area to questions only about Step 1.

Thank you.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 1,405
MNcarol replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 11:57 PM

Are there specific pressing directions that go along with this step?

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 309
jlh replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 12:02 AM

is there any rhyme or reason for placement of darks and lights in these four-patch blocks?

Thank You!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 5:24 AM

Puzzle Piecer:

is there any rhyme or reason for placement of darks and lights in these four-patch blocks?

Thank You!

My question too, or do we just throw our squares into a bag and pull?  I am not sure if I have a wide enough range of dark to light to do all of the 96 squares.  Should I cut more light?

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 5:28 AM

Hi Carol,

No pressing instructions.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 5:31 AM

Marilyn B:

Puzzle Piecer:

Thank You!

My question too, or do we just throw our squares into a bag and pull?  I am not sure if I have a wide enough range of dark to light to do all of the 96 squares.  Should I cut more light?

Puzz;e Piecer and Marilyn,

Put them in a bag and pull them out one at a time.  That's what I did and only rejected a piece if it was the same fabric/color as the one I was stitching it to.

Marilyn, if your background is light you will be fine with fewer lights.  If you are using a darker background, you could add more lights but by the time we get it all together it probably won't make a difference.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 5:44 AM

Thank you Sandy.  I will just go with what I have then and see where it takes me.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 309
jlh replied on Fri, Apr 20 2012 8:02 AM

Thanks, Sandy...random it is!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 1,010

When I started putting my squares together..I was having a rough time with just pulling two different blocks and putting them together..After about six blocks I gave into my desire to have them in a certain order... Now Im wondering if I have messed myself up... I am half way done with Step 1.. Do you think I should set aside these blocks that I made all the same....and try again at mixing it up???? Does it matter either way... if they are none repeating or repeaters? Thanks for your time and input...

JEN

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 9:00 PM

Hi Jen,

You will end up with a controlled scrappy by making your blocks all the same.  If you want to be a little less controlled, you could do the rest of your 4-patches totally scrappy and mix them in with the ones you have already done. 

On the other hand, your background is kind of busy, so the more controlled 4-patches may work out better.  It's really up to you if you want the controlled scrappy or just say "What the Heck!" and go scrappy.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 1,010

Thanks Sandy that helps alot... :)  I will go ahead and keep what I have done and move on from there. :) :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,927
Points 125,065

Sandy

Would this pattern lend itself to a smaller quilt? If I cut fewer blocks, can I then just add borders to get it to the size I want? Or will this throw the whole pattern off?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:07 AM

Sandy, 

HELP

I have cut and sewn my 2 1/2 "squares and because I cut them from a charm pack, they are all just short of squaring up to a full 4 1/2" block.  I want to square them out to all be the same size but will of course field a smaller block.  How might that affect remaining instructions?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 4,710
Sylvia replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 6:23 PM

Sandy,

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I was looking at some of the "chat" posts that said we are supposed to be using a scant 1/4" .  I didn't see this on the instructions so mine are not a scant 1/4".

How is this going to work with the background squares.  Or have I messed them all up already?  ;~D

I haven't checked to see if my 4 patches are 4-1/2" yet and I haven't squared any of them up yet.

Thanks for your help.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 6:34 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Sandy

Would this pattern lend itself to a smaller quilt? If I cut fewer blocks, can I then just add borders to get it to the size I want? Or will this throw the whole pattern off?

What size are you wanting?

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use