My 5th QCA mystery top is complete. I worked solely from stash and my starting strips were from a scrap bag I bought at the LQS. They were only 36 inches long so I have to improvise. The background fabric is a mint green but looks almost white in the photo. I initially planned for a red inner border (not the sashed border) with an outer border of the background fabric with dark stars cut from another scrap fabric. I changed my mind when I laid out the fabric. It looked too washed out. I decided to nix the outer border and make the red wider.
The red border is a deeper burgundy colour from Kansas Troubles but out in the sunlight it looks brighter. The appliqués were done without fusible. I just cut them then pinned and sewed. This was a much more relaxing process than using fusible.