Final Step Questions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 7:39 PM

Post any questions you have about the final steps here.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 219
Points 3,805

Oh Sandy, you got me! It's only 9:30 on Thursday night and I saw this and thought.....maybe......could it be......is the last step posted early???? So I came scurrying in.....and.....nothing :o(

This is like waiting for that special day to dawn.....

Karyn

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 6:20 AM

Karyn Ashley-Smith:
you got me!

LOL!  I'm not a night owl like some of you guys, so I posted before I went to bed.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,249
Points 25,305
Elizabeth replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 11:03 AM

Sandy, I do not want to do shashing, is that ok???

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 1,620
Sue Jones replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 11:14 AM

Oh I can't wait to put mine together. I haven't purchased my boarder fabrics yet - any suggestions for me? Thanks.

Sue

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

time2quilt_sue@yahoo.com:

Oh I can't wait to put mine together. I haven't purchased my boarder fabrics yet - any suggestions for me? Thanks.

I am with you Sue! and I'd like a suggestion too.  Plain color, or a batik good question, eh?

xoxoxo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 3:23 PM

Sandy, what is the timeline to enter the "viewer's choice" contest?  I'm heading to a retreat this coming weekend, so I'll be bringing along my MQ to work on then.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 6:32 PM

Elizabeth:

Sandy, I do not want to do shashing, is that ok???

Of course, Elizabeth.  You may finish it any way you like. 

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 7:00 PM

MNnancy:
what is the timeline to enter the "viewer's choice" contest?

Completed tops need to be posted by November 18th.  They do not need to be quilted, just a completed top.  I will open a new thread here in the discussions just to post pictures.

You then will have until November 25th to vote for your favorite by sending me the name of the person who made the quilt you like best. (Send your vote via Friends so it will be private.)  I will post the Viewer's Choice winner on November 26th.

Southwest Florida

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Sandy,

I'm not sure how to go about trimming the blocks to include a 1/4 seam line.  Any tips you can give me?

Thanks... and love the MQ pattern!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 219
Points 3,805

I am also a little confused on the trimming..... The diagram seems to show something different than what makes sense to me......

Thanks

Karyn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 7:29 PM

Debra Moore:
I'm not sure how to go about trimming the blocks to include a 1/4 seam line.

Debra and Karyn,

I took a long ruler and lined up 1/4" along the points on each side and trimmed.  If possible, I made sure I had 1/4" on the point that was closest to the edge of the block.  Your blocks may end up being slightly different sizes, but if you use sashing all cut to the same length you should be able to keep your blocks all the same size.  Hopefully, this picture will clear it up for you.  Let me know if you still need help.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Sandy H.:

Debra Moore:

Debra and Karyn,

I took a long ruler and lined up 1/4" along the points on each side and trimmed.  If possible, I made sure I had 1/4" on the point that was closest to the edge of the block.  Your blocks may end up being slightly different sizes, but if you use sashing all cut to the same length you should be able to keep your blocks all the same size.  Hopefully, this picture will clear it up for you.  Let me know if you still need help.

Thanks Sandy.  The photo does help, a lot.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 219
Points 3,805

Sandy H.:

Debra Moore:

Debra and Karyn,

OK....so I guess I get the dunce award......what am I missing? According to the diagram (given with instructions for the final steps) it looks like we trim almost down to the bottom of the V (where the circle is on your ruler above?) but that still leaves a hole...does this get filled in by the sashing? Seems like that would be a weak point in the quilt? I don't get it.....is that right? Or do I just need more sleep?

Karyn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:32 AM

Karyn,  Sandy is measuring to the point of the dark fabric, try to leave 1\4 from the point of your dark

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use