Steps 1 & 2 - Tips, Hints and Questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2011 5:02 AM

Please, questions only in this thread.

Take your time with Step 1 - be sure you like each grouping. (I spent several days on this step!)

If you have a particular color or fabric that you want to be in the same place on each block, be sure you label it the same letter in each group.  In my case, I wanted the red fabric to always be in the same location, so my red fabrics are the “A” fabric in all of my groups.

I recommend you have a baggie for each group. This will help you keep your groups organized as you construct your blocks.

I made my original sample out of batiks and I love it, however, they did not show the steps very well because all the fabrics look so much alike.  I had these red, black, and white fabrics in my stash and decided to make a block out of them because it's easier to follow the steps.  Once I got them made, I liked them so well I decided to make another quilt in queen size to give to my brother, so now I'm buying up 1/4 yd cuts of all the black/white and red fabrics I can find!  Maybe I'll have it finished by the time we reach the end of the MQ steps.

Southwest Florida

• Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 93
Points 645
Jayhawker replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 6:34 AM

Sandy,

Thanks for a great visual...ready to sort my batiks and ponder on my groups for a few days before cutting.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 895
What is the approximate finished size of our quilt in both small and large? Thanks
  • Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

Any hints as to tonal value for A, B and C for the most successful blocks?  For example, select A  that is darker than B or C, or C should always be the lightest color, etc?

Jan, the Calico Quilter

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,807
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:36 AM

Great question, Jan! I was wondering the same thing :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:46 AM
Me too! Great minds think alike?? :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

It looks to me like all A's are dark, B's medium and C's light. Is that right? I'm not gonna cut until I know for sure I've done it right.

Sandy, is this the way I'm supposed to do it? Dark, medium, light in each group of three?  So I'll have 10 baggies labeled Group 1 through Group 10 with three strips in each bag?

I suspect I'm making this more difficult than it is but my brain won't calculate.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:28 AM
Judy, I set mine up like you did but numbered my tags 1a, 1b, 1c... 2a, 2b, 2c etc to be sure I didn't separate my group. I also took pictures in case the tags fall off. LOL... but like you I'm not quite ready to cut!

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,121
Points 110,715

Debbie-do:
Judy, I set mine up like you did but numbered my tags 1a, 1b, 1c... 2a, 2b, 2c etc to be sure I didn't separate my group.

Debbie. Good idea, thank you, I'll do the same. But I won't be cutting until I hear back from Sandy. Besides, getting ready to leave for Leavenworth retreat and have to get the RV packed. I'll probably take it with me and cut the pieces there.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 65
katyp replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:41 AM

actually your layout helps me alot. If you are correct then I shall follow suit. you're not over thinking it to me :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 2,280
Sue Jones replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:41 AM

I really like this grouping - can't wait to do mine tonight. :-0

Sue

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:04 AM

I don't have my instructions with me at work, but if you will   go back to the first post that has the fabric requirements, the sizes are there.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:07 AM

If I read the directions correctly, I was thinking to make the "A" fabric my favorite tone since out will be the biggest cut?  Anyone else think the same 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:12 AM

Jan, the Calico Quilter:

Any hints as to tonal value for A, B and C for the most successful blocks?  For example, select A  that is darker than B or C, or C should always be the lightest color, etc?

Jan, the Calico Quilter

Jan, it really does not matter, especially if you like scrappy quilts.  Personally, I'm a control freak and that is exactly the way I set mine up.  I put all my reds in the A position, all my B's are dark and C's are lighter than B.   BUT that is not required.  Just be sure that you do not change the fabric from one letter to another within the group.  Example, don't mix your 1-B's and 1-C's together.

Hope this makes sense.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:22 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

It looks to me like all A's are dark, B's medium and C's light. Is that right? I'm not gonna cut until I know for sure I've done it right.

Judy,

if you want a more "controlled" scrappy just be sure the A fabric is your anchor ... in my case red or in your case your dark.  It really doesn't matter where your medium and light fabric goes - can be B or C.

Judy T-Bellingham:
is this the way I'm supposed to do it? Dark, medium, light in each group of three?

This will depend on whether you want controlled scrappy (dark, med,light) or totally scrappy (just piick three fabrics you like and that look good together).

Judy T-Bellingham:
So I'll have 10 baggies labeled Group 1 through Group 10 with three strips in each bag?

Yes, and each strip in each bag will be labeled A, B, or C.

Southwest Florida

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use