Welcome to Mystery Quilt Workshop #5!

rated by 0 users
This post has 164 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 2,710

I'm still waiting for my fabrics from the Keepsake site!  I hope they look like I think they will and I am not too far behind everyone!  I have never done a MQ before and really looking forward to this one!  Your fabrics all look terrific in the media section!  Can't wait to see everyone's!

Nancy P

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

wow, so many of you are so industrious!  I see that there are a lot of people who have yesterday's step all cut already!  I spent some time sorting my strips (sounds faintly bad, doesn't it?) and they are laid out on my cutting mat.  Usually when I am considering colors I leave them out for a little while so that I can glance over at them as I go through the room and make sure I really like them.  The other thing I'd like to have before I start cutting is some actual SUNLIGHT (it keeps raining out) so I can see the "real" colors.  I think I am happy with them, though.  The instructions were light, medium and dark and I have gone with colors rather than value, at least mostly...one of my colors was two strips short and since it's a color outside my usual zone I didn't have any more.  Luckily that meant I had two extra strips of my favorite color so it all worked out!  I won't post any pictures though because it's a mystery!  Not until the end...I love seeing all the pictures though. Maybe I'll crack and post my own.  ;-)

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

I'm new at this site. I learned about this Mystery Quilt from a co-worker. She's participating as well, but maybe not on the site. I've done one MQ before, but it was about three years later so I did it alone. I was very happy with the results even though the color values were off. MQs help me get out of my box!!

I had my groups cut, marked and bagged before coming to learn my way around the site. I chose to use purples and teals from my stash, some fat quarters, and white background. I ended up using duplicates of my favorites, but not in the same position in any group so I hope that will work out okay. I'm not going to stress over it. It is what it is. . .a mystery. I'll try to post a pic in Media the next time I have the fabrics out. I can''t wait to see everybody's quilts.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and Friday can't come fast enough, but that's true even when there isn't a MQ going on!!  :-)

Maryann

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:46 PM

Welcome Maryann.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Welcome Maryann, happy to have you with us

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 142
Points 2,710
Cheri replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:39 AM

Debbie-do:

Has anyone signed up for Craftsy classes?  There's an offer out there now that you may have gotten in email for a machine quilting class.  I watched the previews and somehow got to see all of the section on Preparing Your Quilt.  In the 30+ minutes I watched I learned a few things I didn't know (which since I don't know much isn't too amazing) so, I took the plunge... for $25 it seems worth the risk (regular $59.99) since machine quilting is my bugaboo.  Here's the link in case you haven't seen it:  http://www.craftsy.com/class/Machine-Quilting-Free-Motion-More/37  The special price is only good for a week and I'm a sucker for a sale =)

I also saw this sale and decided I couldn't pass it up. I have never tried quilting except for the criss-cross on small wall hangings so I am excited to try it out. I haven't had a chance to look at any of it yet since I have been trying to get my MQ5 fabrics ready and triying to get a quilt done by Thanksgiving.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:54 AM

greenmonstr:
some actual SUNLIGHT (it keeps raining out) so I can see the "real" colors

I usually have my fabrics laying around too and occasionally rearrange them until they look the way I like.  Sunlite sure helps, but by the time you see it, it is GONE.  This is the usual rainly fall after a drought.  My mystery quilts usually "hang" around the livingroom - draped over the furniture withs fabrics all around while I am deciding on borders.  Sometimes that takes a long time if I am determined to use only the pre-chosen fabrics.  I will rearrange and add narrow borders from the main quilt fabrics.  That it why my Quiltmaker Mystery has taken so long.  The border fabric I chose was too light, but with other colors drawn out to the edge, I think it will be OK. I also needed it large enough for our 6'4" grandson who is now in Iraq for the second time.  Will be taking the plunge today and sewing on my final choices for the border.  It is good we don't have too many visitors, because the furniture is covered with works in progress!  My strips are finally cut so I can go back and finish other projects.  Too many new ideas swimming in the head to concentrate on the OLD! Lately I haven't allowed myself to start something new until I have gotten to a certain point on a WIP - borders on MQ 4 before starting Quiltmaker Mystery - Borders chosen and arranged in proper order before selecting fabrics for MQ 5 - Those borders cut before cutting MQ 5 strips to size - Borders on Quiltmaker Mystery before sewing on MQ 5, etc.  Of course I have the hand-pieced samplers for sit-down time.

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,105

Katie, I've always gone by what my great grandmother told me," there are reasons for everything and we won't know until we finish what we are doing." Generally speaking I think God saves our butts and makes our messes pretty.  Besides Amish women always make intentionally one mistake because only God is perfect. I read that somewhere, hopefully it is the truth and I'm speaking out of turn. But I'm pretty sure your quilt is going to turn out beautiful. Oh and by the way, I read instructions but I always seem to read the wrong ones.:-)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,105

Cheri, I've not signed up for any of their classes, but I have at www.Quiltuniversity.com.  They have some great classes and seem to fill the classes with limited numbers so the teacher isn't overwhelmed with women trying to learn and freaked out. LOL.  BR

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,105

I was just wondering about asking DH if he would take me to Jo Ann's and see if they have either an Accu-cut? or the baby one. I'm afraid cutting is starting to wear on me---  short attention span! LOL  He would probably shake his head and growl.  Oh well, it was a thought. I read some of you either have one or put it on your want list.  That would be a great present to get, wouldn't it ?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:06 PM

Beth Reese:

I was just wondering about asking DH if he would take me to Jo Ann's and see if they have either an Accu-cut? or the baby one. I'm afraid cutting is starting to wear on me---  short attention span! LOL  He would probably shake his head and growl.  Oh well, it was a thought. I read some of you either have one or put it on your want list.  That would be a great present to get, wouldn't it ?

Do it!  Tell him they're on sale AND you get your QCA 10% discount.  Accu cut is $50 off and Cricut Expression is $100 off!   Explain to him how greatly it will improve your efficiency leaving more time to bake cookies for him   =)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,676
Points 65,790
Bonita replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:18 PM

Beth Reese:
I read some of you either have one or put it on your want list.  That would be a great present to get, wouldn't it ?

I have one and I decied to buy myself a Christmas present last year  when JoAnn's had them on sale. Amazom.com had the dies on sale and I got a couple of extra ones. I really like the 8 inch rag cut die. I must have thought very highly of mself last year as I got the Cricut too. tell hubby how much it would mean to you to have one and now would be a great time to save some money. Get him in the heart and the wallet.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:30 PM

MaryAnn in MA:

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and Friday can't come fast enough, but that's true even when there isn't a MQ going on!!  :-)

Maryann

Amen to that!  Welcome, MaryAnn!  What part of MA are you in?  I'm a southern NH transplant living in SW Texas now (no snow! woo hoo!!)

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 889
Points 16,520

I purchased a Go Baby from the Accuquilt on sale at the online store last week & received it on Friday.  They had the lowest price of all the internet stores.  I love it .  It will certainly save time on cutting and save my fingers/hand from the aches I was getting from all the cutting.    

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,105

I'm thinking that going on line would be the perfect way.  I usually shop internet anyway because I really don't drive anymore, so.  Any big differences between the big one and the little one other than maybe having more templates, which is something to think about.  Y'all can brain storm with me and help me decide for really what I need instead of what I just want. :-)

Page 9 of 11 (165 items) «Prev7891011Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use