Welcome to Mystery Quilt Workshop #5!

rated by 0 users
This post has 164 Replies | 35 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 319
Points 15,220
Kim Z replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 3:41 PM

I'm also looking forward to doing this.  This is my first mystery quilt and I've always wanted to do one.  I'm so excited.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,050
Points 385,642
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:37 PM

I've just discovered this conversation. I thought we were chatting in the other forum. My fabrics are selected and background squares cut. Steps one and two won't happen until next weekend. 

Welcome to all the first time MQ-ers. I've made all of them so far and here's the break down:

I started quilting MQ1 and got a heckuva birds nest on the back. I was so discouraged about frogging so I took it off the frame and left it alone. DH did the ripping for me (isn't he sweet) but my heart was no longer in it. It waits.

For MQ2 I selected fabrics outside my comfort zone (and on sale). It was too much for me. I couldn't stand looking at it. I put it in the "Great UFO Giveaway". It went to a good home.

MQ3 is my favourite (I won viewers choice) and I intended to finish it very soon after completing the top but life got in the way big time. It's third in line for quilting.

MQ4 is the largest of the bunch and is in line for quilting as well. It is going to be our "summer quilt" no batting just flannel on the back.

Now here I am again and I've brought a friend, Pat L. Her fabrics are posted but I haven't seen her chatting yet.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:26 PM

Kris, I had a private message from a Pat L, I wonder if she is your friend?

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 11:05 PM

OK, I've cleared the decks ~~ meaning I finished the QN Mystery today, top all done and binding cut ~~ so ready to start this one!  Just printed out Step 1 and 2.  Hope to start first thing in the morning ~~ good luck everyone, gonna have so many pretty quilts, aren't we?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,050
Points 385,642
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 1:33 AM

Leslie :

Kris, I had a private message from a Pat L, I wonder if she is your friend?

Yes Leslie. That's Pat.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,691
Points 141,523

Kris:
My fabrics are selected and background squares cut.

I got background and steps one and two done yesterday, so that parts good to go.

Kris:

Welcome to all the first time MQ-ers. I've made all of them so far and here's the break down:

Yes, welcome to all first timers.

Kris, I'd sure hate for you to feel alone in MQ UFO's. LOL. MQ1 is still a top. I have used it as a fall tablecloth under a vinyl cover so it wouldn't get dirty. MQ2 has one more row that needs put on. I made it king size. MQ3 is sandwiched and I started quilting it. I set my stitches too small and have a rumple on the back that I can't get my seam ripper into to get it out. So it sits. Have to say I'm a little envious that your DH will do that for you. Althought mine would have mine in shreds by now. LOL. MQ4, I skipped out on for CQ group. And here I am doing MQ5 as well.  

And a warm welcome to your friend Pat L.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,691
Points 141,523

Carol:
good luck everyone, gonna have so many pretty quilts, aren't we?

Good luck to you too Carol. I thinks we are going to have some beauties by the looks of the fabrics being posted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092

Carol, glad your joining in on the fun

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900

Hi to all the new people.  I too still have my last mq waiting to be sandwiched.  I was busy this summer and am down to 2 UFOs,  2 shirts  waiting to be cut and now 2 tops in progress.  I still have not hung the quilt that I finished for my bedroom wall, I tried to match the drapery rod but they don't make the colour any more it seems so I shall have to go completely different. 

Here is my step one and two but I posted in the media as well. I love all the combinations that you guys have posted.  I may have get me some of those fabrics.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 90

Hi Sandy. This will be my first mystery quilt so of course I have a question. (Who am I kidding? I'm a quilter....I have LOTS of questions!) I don't celebrate any holidays and being close to several of them I just wanted to make sure this quilt is not going to end up a holiday quilt. Hopefully, being a MYSTERY quilt you can still answer this for me:)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,662
Points 49,385
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 10:28 AM

Has anyone signed up for Craftsy classes?  There's an offer out there now that you may have gotten in email for a machine quilting class.  I watched the previews and somehow got to see all of the section on Preparing Your Quilt.  In the 30+ minutes I watched I learned a few things I didn't know (which since I don't know much isn't too amazing) so, I took the plunge... for $25 it seems worth the risk (regular $59.99) since machine quilting is my bugaboo.  Here's the link in case you haven't seen it:  http://www.craftsy.com/class/Machine-Quilting-Free-Motion-More/37  The special price is only good for a week and I'm a sucker for a sale =)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 10:42 AM

Micky Norbeck:

Hi Sandy. This will be my first mystery quilt so of course I have a question. (Who am I kidding? I'm a quilter....I have LOTS of questions!) I don't celebrate any holidays and being close to several of them I just wanted to make sure this quilt is not going to end up a holiday quilt. Hopefully, being a MYSTERY quilt you can still answer this for me:)

Hi Micky and welcome to MQ5.  This would only be a holiday quilt if you select holiday fabrics.  It would, however, make a great kids quilt if you used some bright fabrics! 

Southwest Florida

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 29,750
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:00 AM

Debbie-do:
Has anyone signed up for Craftsy classes?  There's an offer out there now that you may have gotten in email for a machine quilting class.

Debbie-do,

I saw it this morning and jumped at it.   I have a problem with poor "boonies" internet service and it would take me 1 hr to watch 1/2 hr video, but i picked up a few  tips myself the S-L-O-W way.  I'm planning to get into machine quilting and free-motion very soon so hoped to pick up a few tips.  It is hard to watch when she is about to give a tip and the computer has to download more video.  I have purchased Quillting Quickly II and Hannah was able to get me a DVD for it which is better for "backward" internet, but there haven't been DVDs made for the other courses.  I am planning to email her and see if it is possible for some to be made for those of us in this situation.  I love the courses but don't like stop and stop video - sort of like rush-hour traffic!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,662
Points 49,385
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:22 AM

Marsha-SM, that would drive me crazy(er)!  Have you looked into sattelite internet?  Some of my friends use it and they're satisfied.  Another site I found this summer is http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html .  Between Leah Day and Patsy Thompson I have been able to break down the barriers of FMQ.  The Quiltsy class deals with walking foot quilting as well which I definately need pointers on.  Leah and Patsy both have DVDs =)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 29,750
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:58 AM

Debbie-do:
Another site I found this summer is http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html .

It HAS driven me "batty" so I usually don't even attempt to watch video.  Whenever someone suggests a video link in one of our discussions - especially in joke/inspiration of the day, I try to watch, but usually have to give up.  Once in a while there is an old one which isn't so complicated that it doesn't have too many download sessions so I can at least hear a full sentence!

Have been to Leah's site and have learned a lot (but haven't practiced yet),  I don't even try to watch the videos but there are directions for the video-impared out there.  I have printed out some interesting patterns and plan to try them on smaller wheelchair quilts I am making.  They will be my LARGE "practice squares"   I may give in and buy some of their DVDs.

As for satellite internet, we are in a poor reception area (in a hollow with hills all around) and the initial cost is more than we can justify now.  The phone company has promised us DSL but hasn't followed through yet!  They promised me 5 years ago that we were on the waiting list and even signed us up last year only to return our check saying it wasn't in our area yet!  I told them that, but the representative assured me it was available for us then!!!   Our older son lives just across the river from the phone office and is able to use it, but we are 3 miles farther away with patched-up out-of-date underground cable which barely carries a phone call.  We rely on cell phones and even have a cell phone number for the computer!  That is the only reliable way to get some sort of service.  Cell service is iffy at times, but somehow the computer must be able to use a poorer signal as long as I use a long wire on the USB modem for the phone and hang the modem in the window.  The local phone office is now promising wi-fi in the NEAR future -- haven't I heard that before?  50 years ago we were using a local operator and old crank wall phones, 12 party lines, and coded rings which rang on everyone's phone when everyone else had rotary dial! 

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I guess I will just have to rely on the printed word and DVDs.  At least my laptop will play them.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 8 of 11 (165 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.