Final Step Questions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

Leslie :

Karyn,  Sandy is measuring to the point of the dark fabric, try to leave 1\4 from the point of your dark

Ok. The diagram just looked different from what you guys are saying (and I am seeing from what others are doing). I just don't want to mess it up at this point :o) Thank you

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 290
skporto replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 1:04 PM

I really am a dunce but you say to cut 1/4" from the top of the points? In mine there is nothing there.

OH, I think I got it I am to measure 1/4" from the points of the patterned blocks and not the background?  I am afraid to cut till I am clear on this don't want to runin all my hard work.

And thank you Sandy for all your hard work, this is my first MQ and I am loving it. I especially like how there are hardly and seams to match. :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:10 PM

Texasgranny:
I am to measure 1/4" from the points of the patterned blocks and not the background?

Yes, that is correct.  You measure 1/4" from the patterned blocks.  In my picture, the white is the background squares that were sewn to the end of each pieced strip.  You are trimming off the extra part of the background square but leaving 1/4 inch so when you sew the sashing strips on, the points of the patterened blocks will "point" at the sashing.

See how Eric's darker patterened pieces "point" at the sashing?   Does this help? 

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825
papple00 replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:31 AM

Ok, is it just ME or is anyone else having trouble figuring out how to attach the sashing/cornerstones to the blocks??????it just doesn't make sense to me.  Are we suppose to sew the blocks together first and add the sashing onto the top, or do we add the sashing and connect all........but that just isn't going together........??????.......frustration setting in!  HELP please.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 944
Points 17,510

I had to refer to "The Quilter's Bible" edited by Ruth Patrick.  Here is what it says:

1.  Count the number of joining strips needed, including the strips for the top and bottom of the quilt.  Join the blocks in rows with sashing strips, adding one at each end of the row.

2. Cut squares exactly the same size as the width of the sashing strips.

3. Make horizontal strips by joining squares and sashing strips, beginning and ending each row with a square. Join rows of blocks with strips. Add a row of strips and squares at the top and bottom. 

I match the sashing & cornerstone strips to each of the blocks & pin them (especially at the seam) before sewing to ensure the seams match up. 

I hope this is of help.  

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825

Thank you Patricia,  I think that between your instructions and a couple of web sites I think that I have figured it out.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

papple00:

Ok, is it just ME or is anyone else having trouble figuring out how to attach the sashing/cornerstones to the blocks??????it just doesn't make sense to me.  Are we suppose to sew the blocks together first and add the sashing onto the top, or do we add the sashing and connect all........but that just isn't going together........??????.......frustration setting in!  HELP please.

Sorry I did not get back to you  ... had to go out of town for business meeting and just got back last night.  If you are still having trouble with this step, let me know and I will be here to help.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825

Thank you Sandy.  I figured it out.

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:04 PM

I don't know that this is a "final step" question, but it's keeping me from finishing.  :)

I'm finally getting around to trimming my blocks and getting ready to put everything together.  I don't have a lot of experience in squaring up blocks, and that's my problem right now.  I'm going to need to square all of my blocks to 11 1/2 (which is fine with me).  I just can't figure out for the life of me how to square them up because the seams are diagonal.   The way I was taught to square was to use a ruler larger than my block, line up a line on the ruler with a seam on the block.   I know, I know....call me stupid, but I am at a loss with these diagonal seams!  Can someone please help this dumb girl out!?  Thanks!!!

Beth in SC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:21 PM

Beth, I don't know if this helps, but I just eyeballed a 1/4 inch on each side

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 785
Beth D replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 5:51 PM

I'm leaning toward doing that too.....thanks Leslie.

Beth in SC

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 7:01 PM

Beth, I just measured each side with the 1/4" measurement.  I didn't worry too much about squaring the block.  When I got to the sashing part, I just made sure all my sashing strips were the same size and eased any fullness in the blocks onto the sashing.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 825
papple00 replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:06 PM

Have you posted the winning quilt yet?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 6:01 PM

The winner was posted the 25th.  It was MNNancy's Raspberry Jam

[Ava, Missouri

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use