Announcement! Kristin needs your prayers!

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,349
Points 242,047
Thea Posted: Wed, Jun 26 2013 6:54 AM

Hi all!  I spoke to Kristin last night!  She called me to talk to me about the neuro transmitter as she didn't want me to be scared about problems with them as she has right now.

Kristin's neurotransmitter broke a wire - they did not know what was going on but she was having it send pain messages to her brain that there was pain on the right side of her body... when she would turn the transmitter on it would send nasty pain to her for a few minutes - this got worse where the pain was constant on her right side so the transmitter had to be shut off.  

Having it shut down causes Kristin disease to be worse... so they were attempting to reprogram it and discovered when they couldn't that a wire had broken.  

Now they have to do surgery and go in and either put a new transmitter in or somehow find a way to attach this wire so that it doesn't break again.  

Kristin's surgeon is on vacation so they have to wait till he gets back and then they have to do the whole insurance thing which irritates the heck out of me - it isn't her fault the wire broke ... and to me it should be done sooner rather then later - 

but with insurance the way it is she has to wait till all that is figured out - which does not help her right now!!!

What will help is your patience and your prayers... Please pray for Kristin that they resolve this quickly and that she is up and moving without the problems of her disease or the pain from the transmittter but that she is doing great!

So thank you in advance for all the prayers I know you are going ot say for her... and I apologize if I haven't got it all quite right but I think I got the gist of all the problems but I know that I might have mispoken a little bit but don't let that stop you from praying for Kristin.  Thank you!  And a Big God Bless!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Hi All --

I wanted to post that I am going to have a temporary sling put in tomorrow (Friday) until surgery can happen to fix this mess.

The wire that broke is the one that goes into the brain, and additional x-rays have shown that the wire is retracting into the brain. If it retracts all the way then we'd be talking about much more extensive open-brain surgery then what is needed to replace the broken wire.

The tether will basically "hold" the wire until actual surgery when they will open my skull to remove the broken wire and put a new one in. The part where the wire is broken is just under the skin and not under the skull so they can put this "tether" on it to hold it until surgery. It's not going to be comfortable, but I'd rather live with the tether than have to have extensive open-brain surgery to go fishing for the wire if it retracts all the way.

The real surgery is happening July 24. Between now and then I need to have several things done including mapping the brain again. That's not a painful procedure, just very long and tedious.

In the meantime, I have no control over my PD symptoms or the pain associated with PD. I am doing the best I can for now. My MIL is coming down to help me to get through to surgery. After the tether goes in I will not be able to drive as I will basically have something that looks like a halo on my head.

Thank you ALL for your T & P. I am sorry but I will be unable to participate in the Mailbox Surprise Group or Round Robin until after my recovery from the July 24 surgery.  I am in far too much pain, and my PD tremors are out of control.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

My MIL also is a quilter so she will be finishing the last Round Robin top that I have. For now, I cannot drive, cannot lift anything > 10 lbs., cannot raise my arms over my head, and cannot take anything but Tylenol for pain . . . Tylenol doesn't cut it . . . at least not for me.

Thanks again for everything . . . Feel free to call, text, skype, facebook, email, or whatever if you care to talk.

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 593
Points 9,425
Joyce replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 7:50 PM

Wow Kristin I feel so bad for you.  You will certainly be in my prayers.  Don't worry about the mailbox surprise we will muddle thru.  I'm not sure what PD is but I do know what a halo is my friend had one at one point from her MS.  You take care and rest.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Kristin, I've been trying all day to get on to tell you how sorry i am that you're going through this.  You are in my thoughts.  THanks so much for touching base to let us know how things are going.  

Joyce, PD is parkinson's disease

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 593
Points 9,425
Joyce replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 2:55 PM

Carolyn (CarolBeau) thank you for the info.  Also Kristin wanted to let you know our family had prayer for you and all that is going on right now this morning during our prayer time.  We will be looking forward to good news after they repair your wire. 

Joyce

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

All -- I wanted to update you all with my progress . . . or lack thereof.

The broken wire has now fully retracted into the brain . . . as a result I will be admitted to the hospital today so a teather can be put on the end of the wire before it is completely "lost" inside the brain.  The teather will give the surgical team the time they need to come up with a method for removing the broken wire from the brain without causing further damage, instead of rushing through the process.

To some extent, this is a good thing . . . the surgical team can now figure out how to get the wire out without damaging the brain.  The bad thing . . . I have to spend at least the next two weeks in the hospital.  I don't get along well with hospitals . . . especially long visits such as this one.

You will probably not hear from me until I get home again . . . probably early August.  My husband does know how to log onto my QCA subscription and will post a message if anything occurs that is worse than it is now.   I guess it's better to assume that if you don't hear anything, that all is proceeding on schedule and as expected.  Please be assured that I have put my full faith in the medical team and that I am in good hands.  I fully expect when I do get home that it will be a lengthy recovery.  As a result, I will not be able to continue moderating the Mailbox Surprise group for 2013.  Any future plans for a Mailbox Surprise group for 2014 are on hold at this time.  Anybody else is welcome to step in and take over for 2013 and continue the group in 2014.

I have already put things in motion to go on permanent disability from work so if/when I am fully functional again, I will be able devote all my efforts towards quilting . . . one thing I am looking forward to doing.  In the meantime, please be assured that I am in good hands.  I have faith in the Lord, in my family, friends, and my friends here on the QCA community that I have the support I need to get through this challenge.  

Please don't forget about me . . . I PROMISE . . . I WILL BE BACK!  And in all likelihood, better off than I am now!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 10:20 AM

Kristin ,my thoughts and prayer go with you . We love you so take care and know we are with you in spirit. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Mon, Jul 15 2013 2:48 PM

Kristin, please do take care of yourself first.  Prayers for the medical team to do what is necessary.  Prayers for your speedy recovery.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Kristin (KAlbrecht):

As a result, I will not be able to continue moderating the Mailbox Surprise group for 2013.  Any future plans for a Mailbox Surprise group for 2014 are on hold at this time.  Anybody else is welcome to step in and take over for 2013 and continue the group in 2014.

Kristin,  Again, please know that you're in my thoughts all the time.  I'm so sorry that you're going through this and look forward to the day when you're back to normal!  Like Barbara said, We want you back!  :)

I'd be happy to jump in and do whatever I can to help out with mailboxes.  If you have a master list or any information that would help me, I'd welcome that.  Otherwise, I can just work with what I have.

Ladies (and Gentlemen if we have any), Please feel free to contact me with questions, problems, concerns, and I promise to do my best to help resolve them as best I can.

I will work to start organizing to keep the group going in 2014 once we get a little closer to 2014.  Kristin, you're welcome to step back in when you're feeling better if you like or if you prefer not, that's fine too.  

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Hi Carol -- I send you a private message.  here are the attachments that kristin wanted me to share with you.  if you can forward these to the appropriate groups i would appreciate it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605

Kristin,  I am so sorry to read of your difficulties and pray you will be back up and running soon.

Carolyn,  thank you so much for stepping in to keep this group and hopefully the one in 2014 going. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

Got it.  Thanks, Rich.  I've posted the round robin photos over in round robin.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use