Stabilizers

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496
Snowbird Quilter Posted: Wed, Oct 2 2013 12:58 PM

What kind of stabilizer do you use when doing machine embroidery on thin terry cloth?

I want to make some bibs.  The terry cloth I got from JoAnne's   isn't a good quality sorry to say.   Any advice would be appreciated?

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,801
Points 352,057
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:26 PM

Hi Patty,

This might help.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Thanks Kris!

It did help!

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,801
Points 352,057
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:39 PM

You're welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 8:00 PM

Awesome link Kris.

I have a couple things to add too that might be an option.  www.allstitch.com   sells a product that is water soluble called vilene. It feels like paper and when washed away leaves fiber in the design and no evidence of stabilizer. It can be double layered and leaves the design perfectly on top of the nap. I have a napped towel that I used metallic thread on and have washed it several times and don't have any of the issues of distortion.

The other option is: If you have a design that is heavy with stitches you could do it on a cotton fabric, cut it into a shape and applique the fabric onto your bib. The advantage of this is you'd have no heavy stitching on the back of he bib. Just the line where you stitched the secondary fabric down.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 959
Points 19,496

Thanks Stephanie.

My Granddaughter spend at least 16 hours working on two sweaters Thanksgiving week.  She and I learned a lot about practice, samples and cut away and tear away.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use