In the Hoop - Goose Tracks Quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B Posted: Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:29 PM

Hi, I have the front and binding finally completed on the Goose Tracks Quilt I have been working on for a little over a year.  Here is her picture:

I am still debating on whether to do a little more shading on the background fabric.  It was gradated fabric, but with the limited fabric I had and cutting it up into the square, it lost some of the gradation across the quilt.

It was a labor of love, but will I do it again?  Not for a while for sure!!!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:24 PM

This is beautiful Donna. Outstanding job.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:51 AM

Thanks Kris,

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

OMG Donna, this is a great work of art. I had no idea of what the finished top would look like since I was unable to attend the classes here. You have done a fabulous job getting this done. Is that 64 squares?? an 8x8 layout? thanks so much for posting this beauty.
I'm not sure what you are thinking about painting the fabric ?or will you be doing shading with threads? please explain

I think I would just look at it a few months first. LOL I like the drama on the two sides of the moon gray.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 11:21 AM

Caryl Anne:

OMG Donna, this is a great work of art. I had no idea of what the finished top would look like since I was unable to attend the classes here. You have done a fabulous job getting this done. Is that 64 squares?? an 8x8 layout? thanks so much for posting this beauty.
I'm not sure what you are thinking about painting the fabric ?or will you be doing shading with threads? please explain

I think I would just look at it a few months first. LOL I like the drama on the two sides of the moon gray.

Thanks Caryl Anne...  Yes, it is 64 squares/blocks and it seemed like it took ***forever*** to get them all embroidered in the hoop! Each block had an average of about 30 thread changes...plus tack downs of the fabric swatch seam and then the sew down for each (sometimes tiny) piece of fabric.  At the time I started this, I was limited to the 5X5 size as my Bernina 200 could not handle the larger hoops.  Still, the wall-hanging ended up 37 1/2 inches square...plenty big for the area I wanted to hang it.  Plus, it actually seems pretty heavy for that size - probably due to the battalizer and all the thread in it.  And, I didn't mention, I ended up using THREE different DSM Embroidery machines on this!!!  It is nothing short of a miracle that it even worked out...considering...LOL!

It was not easy to put all the squares together either.  At least for me!  My "squares" did not all end up a consistent size with even stitching all around the edges (as I thought they would).  Some people have said that this is the result of too much stretching of the battalizer(stabilizer/batting combo) when you put it in the hoop.  But I was VERY careful about this and still had the problem.  That is why some of my corners are off...lol.  Also, matching up the seams with the heavy embroidery stitches, battalizer and backing was difficult. (The corners were a night-mare!  Just think of a star-block center with all the fabric points coming together and then add the batting into each point! That's what it was like!!!)  If you look closely, you can see (especially in the border) where I had problems matching up the edges of the goose-track ovals from block to block.  It was a matter of three tries, and then what it is, is what it is...LOL!

Regarding the shading...  I had started out with a gradated blue fabric (dark blue on the left to light blue on the right) for the background.  However, with cutting the fabric down for the embroidery squares, a lot of fabric was lost in the process and I knew early on I would not have enough for the entire quilt.  So, I was able to buy a very pale blue to add to the right side.  However, I did not anticipate that the cutting of the squares (and lost fabric between) would result in more abrupt color changes across the quilt.  In other words, the transition from darks to lights was more abrupt from block to block.  After looking at the quilt for literally months on my design wall, I knew I needed to do "something" to smooth out the background color transition.  After all the work I had already put into this, I did not want to mess it up either!  So, I started playing around with some color fabric-pencils on scrap fabric to get the right value and shade of blue...holding it up to the quilt, and finally felt confidant  enough to do some shading on the quilt.  I started in the middle area and am pretty satisfied with that area now, but when I took the picture to post, I could see that the upper center needs blending too! 

With all the embroidered thread-work on the quilt motifs already, I think shading with thread would have detracted from them.  The designs themselves were well thought out and, I think, truly stunnning and I want them to continue to shine.  So, no thread painting on this quilt!

Thanks again for the glowing praise...

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Donna, Donna, holy smoke, I can only imagine what you had to go through to piece all those layers, again since I had no experience with such a project, I didn't even know what battalizer was until you told me earlier this year.. LOL I am looking again at the photo and I do see what you mean about the colors across however, since you can see it first hand you can tell where you want more paint or shading. I was so hoping you were going to say  NO thread  shading, because after all that work I wouldn't want to guess what it needed in thread color. Thant said, you are the only one who needs to be wondering what more to add. I really must repeat again I like the look of both colors, to me they are like the two sides of the moon, truly I love it as is. hang this beauty and in a year if you want to change the shading then do so after you have a chance to analyze it longer.
How does your family feel has anyone even attempted to comment other than saying WOW MOM!!!!
LMAO here as that is what my kids say when they get a new project out of my sewing room.

so I heard through the grapevine that several people were having a difficult time piecing, some so much that they stopped the project. I think you should consider sending this in to the sisters web and blog pages for further review. I am now curious to see how many completed quilts will be sent there. last I checked, back in April there were only 7 signed up at my LQS to participate, that is not many willing to go through the experience, and  I know the expense was a factor for me at least. I wonder with all that has gone through my sewing room if I would even be half way into this work, before I'd have gotten too frustrated to go on.

You just don't know what a thrill it is for me to see it done. again I thank you for posting your work.

PS. send a photo to Pokey Bolton, ask her opinion if you should do anything else to the background.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:07 PM

Caryl Anne:
so I heard through the grapevine that several people were having a difficult time piecing, some so much that they stopped the project. I think you should consider sending this in to the sisters web and blog pages for further review. I am now curious to see how many completed quilts will be sent there. last I checked, back in April there were only 7 signed up at my LQS to participate, that is not many willing to go through the experience, and  I know the expense was a factor for me at least. I wonder with all that has gone through my sewing room if I would even be half way into this work, before I'd have gotten too frustrated to go on.

There were about a dozen of us taking this class at our LQS.  As far as I know, only one other person from this group has finished the quilt.  She was doing the same quilt I was doing, but with 8 inch blocks.  Another friend was doing the Times4 Goose-tracks quilt with 8 inch blocks...which means 4 times what mine is...with special connecting blocks that carry the goose-track ribbon from one section to the next.  It will be a queen size bed quilt (what she was doing)...with the design (section) I did in each corner.  She had a terrible time keeping the blocks straight (from one section to the next) and was getting pretty discouraged.  She has set it aside for awhile, but... I cannot fathom having that many blocks to do...let alone putting them together!!!  Another thought, I personally would not want one of these for a bed-quilt...it would be more heavy than we like for a bed covering.  They are beautiful wall hangings, but they wouldn't be practical enough for me to put on a bed...lol!  And you are right, the investment was sizeable, at least to me!  I could not have lived with myself to spend that kind of $$$ and not complete it...LOL!

I know there are a lot of pictures of completed Goose-Track quilts on the Hoop Sisters Yahoo Group.  Have you looked there?

BTW, my LQS is now offering the next Hoop Sisters Quilt class (Earth to Quilters) and they've already had their first class, so there were enough to not cancel.  The two of us that I know finished our quilts from this last year, are not interested in taking another one of these on anytime soon.  I am glad I did it (love it), but it took a lot of my time away from regular quilting.  I have two art quilts in the back of my head that I want to start with fabric!  Maybe this next month...

Thanks again for the nice comments and support,

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Donna - your Goose Tracks quilt is gorgeous!!!!  I looked at this but felt the program was out of my quilting budget. I hope you plan to display this somewhere in your home. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 3:27 PM

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Donna - your Goose Tracks quilt is gorgeous!!!!  I looked at this but felt the program was out of my quilting budget. I hope you plan to display this somewhere in your home. 

Thanks Marge.  Yes, It will have a place of honor in our bedroom.  I have too much blood, sweat, and tears into it to let it go...lol!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use