rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 530
BenAdmin Posted: Sat, Nov 26 2011 11:00 PM

Hello group!

I'm very new at the embroidery thing with my Pfaff, and I'm having some troubles I hope some of you might have answers to.  My bobbin thread seems to be breaking a lot.  The problem that I can see, is that the bobbin is spinning onto the spindle in the center of the bobbin case. 

I tried adjusting the bobbin case, but then my bobbin threads were coming up through the material.  Yuck!

I'm using  a medium tear-away stabilizer behind the fabric

I am using YLI bobbin thread, a brand new embroidery needle, and my machine was recently serviced. 

I thought of trying different bobbin thread, and maybe a dedicated bobbin case for just embroidery.  Any other thoughts?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:30 PM

Hi CaroQuilts,  I don't have a Pfaff (I have a Bernina 200E), but I have had this problem when my bobbin is "fully loaded".  (Not what I consider too full, and not to the point that the auto-bobbinwinder shuts off.)  But, I have found if I don't load the bobbins as full, I do not have the problem of the thread spinning onto the spindle as you described.  You might try this and see if it helps. 

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello CaroQuilts. I may have a solution to your bobbin problem. Hope this helps

Most probable: OK so the Phaff uses just Phaff bobbins other bobbins will not fit properly. You cannot use a class 15 or 60 because they sit too high in the shuttle. When the top thread comes around the shuttle to catch the bobbin thread it is swiping the thread to the top of the bobbin case instead of smoothly sliding the thread across the top of the shuttle to bring the thread up to the stitch.

could definitely be; Your bobbin case may not be in its position correctly, if there is too much play in the rocking motion then perhaps remove the throat plate clean under the shuttle and around the case inside and out. NO WATER just the soft brush. use some special blow air to clean under the needle plate and then place the case into the shuttle and check the rocking motion. It should be snug with about 1/8 inch of movement in a circular right to back movement.

if you have a simplicity sidewinder; these nice little helpers don't always wind the proper amount of thread for all machines. The squatty bobbins need about 1/8" of space left in order to unwind properly. My #15 class A bobbins can be wound until the thread is even with the bobbin itself. Something else is that if you do wind your own, which I do as well; throw away your bobbins after 4 to 5 windings, the center shaft get weak. I mark my bobbins on the dot that I thread for winding, and then when that dot is worn off I toss it instead of loading it again. I've had bobbins split while winding, now that is a waste of good bobbin thread.

Good luck with solving the problem, If all else fails I have my dealer just a phone call and 11 miles away.

Carylanne in Texas at home with my Janome (s) but I teach software and machine maintenance

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 50
Judy13050 replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 12:01 PM

I learned from my Pfaff service technician something that has given me much more beautiful embroidery projects.  Use a separate bobbin case to use only for prewound bobbins and have it adjusted just for the required tension necessary for prewound bobbins.  Use your regular bobbin case for bobbins that you wind yourself and have it adjusted for that purpose.  Sounds like such a silly thing but the difference is truly amazing.  I was fortunate that I was able to purchase a black bobbin case for my particular machine.  Since the original bobbin case is grey, it is easy for me to switch as needed.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 530
BenAdmin replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 4:35 PM

Thank you ALL so much for the wonderful advice!

Last evening I tried using a half-filled bobbin, and ran the machine at slow speed, and it seems to have worked.  So, that must be at least PART of the answer.  I will also consider a separate bobbin case as well, cause adjusting that little screw each time will be a pain, since I obviously quilt quite a lot.

I'm very appreciative that you all took the time to try to help!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

I hope you follow Judy13050  advice as well about a second bobbin case. She is using a Phaff machine as well, so she may have had the problems you have had. I have a second bobbin case for thick threads so that I can do bobbin work, however that is about $30. worth of just one tool/notion. Just saying! I know we have many tools especially rulers that we only use once in a while but I thought a bobbin case was a pretty eek purchase. The reason that came about was because I had adjusted my original too tight and couldn't get it to re adjust. Then when I took it to my Janome dealer he said I had stripped the screw so I now have a loose tension bobbin. It does work great for the thick bobbin work threads.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 530

Yes, I went to my dealer and got a second case.  She also said there's something called a "bobbin star" that I can put in there to stop the overspin.  She said that its a not-uncommon thing with machines that have vertical cases.  Learn something every day.... Hopefully the tension on the new case along with the "not so filled" bobbin thoughts will fix the problem for sure.  We'll find out tomorrow!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use