Having trouble with metallic thread? take a look

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue Posted: Tue, May 3 2011 7:26 AM

Use a metallic needle, instead of your usual sewing needle, and you'll have less
shredding.  A metallic needle has a larger eye than an embroidery or quilting needle.

But if it's last minute and you don't have time to go to the store to get a metallic
needle, try using a slower speed and place the spool farther away from the machine.

For example, put a thread stand next to your machine so you can run the thread to
your machine, but place the cone of thread on the floor.  Doing this helps the kinks
work themselves out as the metallic is drawn off the cone as you sew.  Try it, it
works!! And remember to slow the speed down too.

Place a layer of dissolving stabilizer (I like the Light WSS by the yard the best) over
the hooped fabric.  Spray a light mist of food grade silicone spray over the WSS and
place the hoop on your machine.

This does two things....as the needle penetrates the top stabilizer, a tiny bit of silicone
coats the needle, and by spraying the stabilizer, rather than placing a small bit of
silicone on the thread, you avoid getting silicone on your tension discs.

When you're finished, spritz some water on the WSS and brush it away.

You'll find food grade (non-staining) silicone spray in quilt shops, or do a search online

This is from Long Creek Mill

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 85
Jane replied on Wed, May 18 2011 7:03 PM

I have been told by my embroidery group that using the thread stand and netting over the thread helps too.  I am making a mini quilt that uses gold metallic thread and it is always breaking.  since its a Christmas quilt, I've lost interest since the season is over.  I'm going to get  back at it soon, and I'm going to try the thread stand with the netting.  Also, a good quality thread is best.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Wed, May 25 2011 7:26 PM

When you the netting I got my from the Flower shop it is free I place the netting half on the spool and just a little tucked under the cone.

Tuck the rest inside

and I turn my speed down on bar

I hope this help and I do use the sewers aid when I hear the machine getting labored I put it on the needle.

Sue D. Ohio

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 775
Louise replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 1:47 PM
Something I found that works for me from lots of practice, with a ton of trial and error. The following is what I use and/or do to make ALL my embroidery using metallics and or stitching out FSL. Slow my machine down to the slowest speed (for my machines its 350spm). Use a TOPSTITCH (or LARGE eye SHARP needle) Use the thread nets (like photos above) Use 2-3 layers of water soluble (for the FSL) So far this has been the only thing I found that works for me. Hope this might help some of you if you try them.
  • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use