August Embroidery Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,253
Points 134,738

Kris, It depends on what kind of design you use. If you do an extensive design you'd need to do the designs first, (before sandwiching) and then quilt around them. They have quilting motifs available but I have never used them because I  think they'd be too hard on my machine to have all that bulk trying to move under the arm. A couple options for using them would be to sandwich small blocks like trapunto or quilt as you go and sew them into a larger quilt or make wall hangings.  

Diane, I think Kelley would be much better suited to give instructions on lace bowls than I. I had to ask her advice on how to put it all together. www.emblibrary.com gives project advice on how to do them as well, but if you look at Kelley's it's just flawless at how she put it all together.

mpspeedy, I like your idea of  the tshirts. It just never fails that I end up with some kind of spots on mine too.

Joan, welcome to the group.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 5:31 AM

You can use an embroidery machine to quilt your quilt.. You will need to hoop all three layers or if your quilt layers are basted already, then use can use a sticky stabilizer and stick you sandwich to the stabilizer..this works well if your quilting a block then using the quilt as you go or similar method for putting the quilted blocks together..I usually dont use embroidery machine for quilting but I have done it.. It takes some doing to get a full quilt sandwich in the hoop and attached to the machine due to the size and weight.. but doable..

I have done a few lace bowls in my use of my machine.. I think they are fun. I have also done a table runner or two with the lace designs.. .They use a lot of thread but again this is fun to do..

Happy Embroidering..

Kelley

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 7:36 AM

Stephanie:

Diane,

What a great idea and what timing..... I have all of the pieces embroidered for a lace bowl, just have to sew it together. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with and see lots of pic's of everyones projects.

Stephanie, which FSL bowl pattern are you making?  I have made dozens of these, they are so much fun!  My favorites are from Zundt, but I also have patterns made by Frank (Germany), Criswell and another source that I can't exactly remember right now.  Here's one I made for my daughter as a decoration on the cake table for her wedding.

Shari

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,077
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 8:29 AM

Shari,

that bowl is really pretty.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,077
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 8:31 AM

Kelley and Stephanie,

thanks for the tips. I don't think I'll be using embroidery to quilt I was just wondering how it's done. I like the little lace bowls though. Will have to look into those.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 9:27 AM

Kris:

Shari,

that bowl is really pretty.

Kris, thanks so much!  My daughter loved the first one I made so I made hers in her favorite (and wedding) colors.  These bowls are easy to do, they do take a little bit of time, but oh so worth it :)

Shari

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875

Beautiful bowl Shari.  It really looks like a lot of work.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875

Excuse my ignorance but what is FSL?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,253
Points 134,738
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:13 AM

Shari,

Your bowl is beautiful. I love the shade of purple that you used with the white. Mine is a Zundt pattern as well. I like that they give you the option of incorporating other colors instead of just one.

Marilyn,

FSL is short for free standing lace. Besides bowls, a lot of patterns are available for FSL such as bookmarks,coasters, ornaments, doilies, lace trims. Just be sure to use water soluble stabilizer or some use organza. I haven't tried that yet.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:25 AM

Shari

Your bowl is gorgeous.  I want to do a FSL bowl once I get my machine back from the shop. 

Stephanie

I did a FSL angel and used organza.  It works really well.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Kris:

Question: How do you use embroidery to quilt a quilt? How do you keep the back from looking like an unruly bunch of thread?

Ummmm, errrrr, ahemmmmmm, I have all the equipment to do so but another thing I have been afraid to try. If I do nothing else in the month of August, I am going to practice hooping a sandwich and doing some embroidery on it. You can use quilting designs or even redwork designs.I did do a fall quilt and on the outer border I embroidered some leaves and it worked fine but I was on the outside of the quilt and not a lot of drag.

Any experts out there that have tried it?

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Doh! I didn't see there was a page 2 of messages. I need more decaf tea, I guess.

Kris~ I still can't find where to delete a dumb message. If I pull down More there is no delete there and there is nothing under edit.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Shari~

Your bowl is beautiful. Now I want to make bowls. I'll never be able to sleep again.

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 12:07 PM

Marilyn B:

Excuse my ignorance but what is FSL?

Marilyn, FSL is Free Standing Lace which is done on the machine.  It's one of my favorite things to do for the holidays, besides the lace bowls.

Shari

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 12:27 PM

Marilyn B:

Beautiful bowl Shari.  It really looks like a lot of work.

Marilyn, thanks :)  It's not really a lot of work, just involves time and patience when satin stitching the panels to the base.  I've made so many lace bowls, I've lost track!  This particular design pattern comes from Zundt Designs - http://www.zundtdesign.com/embroidery-designs/lacecombi_bowl.html .  This link shows their lace bowls and combination sets.  If you'll notice, the one I did is shown there in almost the exact same colors.  I also did the very first bowl shown there for a bridal shop in a local town and then got more orders than I expected!  One of these days I want to buy the Combination 5 set, it's so gorgeous.  Zundt's designs are a bit pricey, but their embroidery is some of the best.

Another bowl that I do around the holidays can be found here - http://www.kodesigns.de/holiday.htm - scroll down to Lace 3 and it should show you the poinsettia lace bowl in colors.  I've done the white one, but like the red and green much better.

Another site to check out for lace (bowls, ornaments and other designs) is http://www.k-lace.com/frontpage/singles/singles44.html .  If you scroll down to the Butterfly Bowl and Doily page, you'll see the butterfly bowl in a color combination.  I did that bowl in a golden yellow and peacock blue combination that was snapped up right away by a good friend who collects butterfly trinkets.

Shari

• Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 7 (99 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use