August Embroidery Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan Posted: Sun, Aug 1 2010 8:33 PM

Let's dig out our embroidery units and use them! Let's do a project.

How about a month long project? Everyone has to do something with embroidery and then by the end of the month show what they have done in the media section. That way it forces us to use the embroidery and it's not a large project and could be anything we want to do.

No rules! Just be done to upload your creations by the end of August.

Fun way to get to know each other, learn from others and be inspired.

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Diane what a great idea.  I am away for the next couple of weeks but I was just thinking that my napkins are looking shabby and as I embroidered on them I may be able to get a set done.  I have a UFO shirt that I want to put some embroidery on as well, it will ge me a chance to use my napkins as tests for the shirt.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

After doing this I have no idea what I am going to do myself. Maybe go back and finish up my squares I was making and make a baby quilt. Don't hold me to that, though.

Then I thought we could do this every month and some months have a theme.  Keep things loose. No pressure.

North of Boston MA

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:49 AM

Diane

I think this is a fun idea.  Of course I can't do any embroidery until I get Bernie back from the Dr.  But I should have her back on the 13th.  Got several ideas that I want to turn into reality.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:30 AM

Diane,

I like this idea too!  I'll find any excuse to use my embroidery machine :)

Shari

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 975

I am a full figured gal who always seems to dribble on my front.  I just recently resurected some of my favorite summer shells and Ts by embroiderying over the most obvious stains on the fronts.  It is amazing the comments I get about my unique tops.  I hate to throw out things that are perfectly good just stained. I am also working on a project to make heritage wallhangings for my siblings and the rest of us that share the same last name or origin.  I am in the process of stitching out 14 sets of letters and motifs for those hangings.  I might get them finished and put together by Christmas.  The first will go to my Dad's cousin in Canada who is the only contact I still have with that generation.  My Grandfather's family came from Cornwall, England.

Last year I made each of my grandchildren a personalized pillowcase.  What do you get the teens in your life who already have it all?

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:06 PM

Hello Diane, That sounds like a good project. I'm new to the group and would like to get to know everyone. I don't seem to have much of a problem with my computerized embroidery machine, but uploading my pic may be another story. I'm not to good with the PC. Could be it's not as much fun.

Joan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Mspeedy~

Good idea with the t's. Please add some pics to the media area or here. We all love show and tells. Plus, it gives us new ideas to use our embroidery machines. I'd love to see the heritage wallhangings. My DH would actually love that kind of thing.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Joanl-7~

Welcome to QCA and to the embroidery group. If you want to upload pics you click on the bar above on the green thing that looks like a roll of film. Then you hit Browse and search for the file on your computer and hit enter, Then hit Insert and it will be in your post.

Tell us about you and we love show and tells. Just jump in...this is a wonderful group of people.

North of Boston MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 6:10 PM

Thanks Diane, I will give it a try. I live in Cherokee Village,AR We live on Lake Thunderbird, a very quiet retirement community. My husband is a disabled vet and I have a lot of time on my hands. Spring and summer I spent in my yard ( I love flowers ) and winters I spend at my sewing machine. I have been quilting for about 3 years now and my favorite thing seems to be buying fabric and patterns but not getting a lot finished. I am starting to long for a longarm.That's supposed to be a joke----longing for a longarm. It is a 65 mile drive to a good fabric shop, I don't like that because I have to go alone. I was wondering if anyone else from arkansas belongs to the club. Would love to hear from you.        Joan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Diane,

What a great idea and what timing..... I have all of the pieces embroidered for a lace bowl, just have to sew it together. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with and see lots of pic's of everyones projects.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Steph~

Can't wait to see what you are working on now. Maybe you can give us instructions on FSL or a mini class. I haven't done any FSL but I do have the stabilizer for it and designs. Sort of afraid to try it I guess.

North of Boston MA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:10 PM

I'm not as advanced as most of you are with the embroidery but I'd like to try something. Not sure what yet.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Kris:

I'm not as advanced as most of you are with the embroidery but I'd like to try something. Not sure what yet.

Kris~

Perfect opportunity to get your feet wet. Just do something small like a design on a shirt, or make some squares and make a wall hanging or table runner. Make pillowcases with embroidery along the top or a central design on the pillowcase. Make a king sized quilt and give it to me!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:32 AM

Diane Morgan:
Make a king sized quilt and give it to me!

Way to sneak that one in there LOL. 

Question: How do you use embroidery to quilt a quilt? How do you keep the back from looking like an unruly bunch of thread?

• Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 7 (99 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use