August Embroidery Project

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 8:56 PM

Stephanie, I absolutely love your bowl!  Those colors are incredible and the crystals really add a great bling touch.  Experimenting with color is so much fun and you win the prize for being very creative.  Great job!!!

Shari

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:28 PM

Another question:

what kind of thread is used for the FSL?

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,262
Points 134,973

Thank you so much everyone. I think I'm blushing and big smiles. I don't have much time to chat, as I have a long work day today but I do so appreciate your kind words.

Kris,

I usually use rayon for all my embroidery, but you're not locked in to any particular thread.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:23 AM

Kris:

Another question:

what kind of thread is used for the FSL?

Kris, I use a polyester thread simply because it has a bit more strength than rayon and is also more colorfast.  Some of the designers will test their patterns with a specific thread type and recommend that, but I've found with each pattern I've stitched, poly worked.

As far as brands, use whatever brand you have success with.  I use a variety of poly threads in my embroidery - Isacord, Madeira, and Sulky for the most part because they are sturdy, lots of colors for blending and easy to find.  There used to be an "old stitcher's tale" that you should never mix brands together in the same project.  When I was teaching digitizing classes (and machines) for both my Brother dealer and SWF (commercial), I dashed those myths by proving it can be done.  As long as you don't mix rayon and poly together, you can use different brands together. 

Have fun and experiment!

Shari

Shari

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:11 AM

Stephanie

I love the bowl.  The colors in the flowers are gorgeous and the crystals are perfect.  I am sure I could find the perfect place to set it...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 9:12 AM

I also use many different kinds/types of thread combined in a single project.. I have  posted an example of something I embroidered last night...

Have a great weekend

Kelley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:11 AM

Kelley:

I also use many different kinds/types of thread combined in a single project.. I have  posted an example of something I embroidered last night...

Kelley, where did you post your example?  I'd love to see what you created.

Shari

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,567
Points 30,544
Kelley replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 2:51 PM

Shari.. I posted to this group... media...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Sat, Aug 7 2010 4:48 PM

Kelley:

Shari.. I posted to this group... media...

Kelley, thanks...I'm heading over there now :)

Shari

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
grammcl replied on Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:20 PM

Hi Mp,  How about starting a hope chest for your female teens?  You could make embroidered sheets, towels, placemats, etc.  Maybe we could start a whole "new" trend (lol).  Cute kitschy aprons are good for that also and scads of patterns are available with really  cute accessories.  For the boys how about pillowcases with their favorite sports team material?  Mine were a big hit.  Have fun.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I'm sorry. I flunked August Embroidery Project. I just have to many things going on right now and I just left this adrift. Maybe someone else can get it going with some projects. With the quilting projects I have, the busiest season for my business and my health, I just can't take on anything else. I did manage to bring my embroidery unit case out and now I can see it so maybe I will squeeze in soemthing. I still want to finish my quilt blocks I was making but that's in the to-do pile, too.

Sorry....I should have done a better job.

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Aug 29 2010 5:54 PM

Diane I really did intend to embroider something but august just got away from me.  I spent as much time away from home as here so I did not do anything.

Paris, Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Marilyn B:

Diane I really did intend to embroider something but august just got away from me.  I spent as much time away from home as here so I did not do anything.

Marilyn~

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I do want to get back into the embroidery,too. Just don't have the time right now.

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,830
Shari replied on Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:45 AM

Diane,

So sorry to learn you ran out of time for the August Embroidery Project!  Better luck next month.  I finished 12 embroidered blocks for my quilt, but decided I need to add 4 more.  Plus I also made a denim jumper and added my own embroidery designs with some fancy stitches from the sewing machine on the seams.  I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but I will and then post it.

I had full intentions to work on block 3 of the quilts I'm making for my granddaughters, but we had to finish up some things for an event we were doing last weekend, so I ran out of time.  I'll be working on those this week.  The quilt is called Fairyland and I used the Butterfly Fling fabric line.  Below are the first 2 applique/embroidery blocks (of 8).

Aren't they cute?  I can't wait to get back to these quilts.  I feel like a little girl again playing paper dolls, only with fun fabrics :)

Shari

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Shari~

These are adorable. I lvoed paper dolls....I used to make all my clothes for my baby dolls. I would spend hours cutting out little clothes and coloring them. I had the best paper dolls in the neighborhood and we would trade outfits we made.

In my neglected embroidery bin I have a set of baby animal angels that I want to finish. They are so cute. I just bite off more than I can chew. I've always done that and somehow get to the finish line but it's taking me longer now to get there. I think it's what keeps pushing me on.....so now off I go to paint for the day. Have a happy quilty day.

North of Boston MA

Page 4 of 7 (99 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use