Favorite Threads

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana Posted: Sat, Jun 12 2010 6:38 PM

Discuss the threads you use for your machine embroidery.  Also discuss threads that you haven't had good luck using.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:30 PM

Nana:

Discuss the threads you use for your machine embroidery.  Also discuss threads that you haven't had good luck using.

Nana,

I cannot stress enough the use of good thread in these machines. I made the mistake of buying a "deal" of thread on Ebay and had nothing but problems with constant thread breakage. Such a shame because they had such a beautiful selection of colors, and now I have 50 spools of pretty much unusable thread sitting in a drawer.

I have used Sulky, Gutterman and Madeira, Robinson Anton, YLI and have had great results with all of these.     

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:39 PM

Stephanie

Try putting the unusable thread in the freezer for awhile.   Something about the cold and moisture will help restabilize thread.

I also like Sulky, Gutterman and Madeira.  But again you will occasionally get a bad spool.  You have to have a good quality thread....the best you can afford.....to get the results that you are really looking for with these machines.   There is nothing worse than a thread that keeps breaking in the middle of a design.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:01 AM

I have a mix of brands of embroidery thread . I have only had trouble with cheap metallic threads...I also use perwound bobbins on my machine.. love the time savings of those..

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Stephanie:

I cannot stress enough the use of good thread in these machines. I made the mistake of buying a "deal" of thread on Ebay and had nothing but problems with constant thread breakage. Such a shame because they had such a beautiful selection of colors, and now I have 50 spools of pretty much unusable thread sitting in a drawer.

I have used Sulky, Gutterman and Madeira, Robinson Anton, YLI and have had great results with all of these.     

Steph....can I call you Steph...you seem like a Steph to me but if you don't like it, just tell me and you will be Stephanie.

I just typed a whole book and then QCA went down.

Me, too! I bet I have the same "deal" on embroidery thread from ebay as you. It's crap but I can't throw it all away. My hands won't let me put it in a trash bag. I used to be an ebay addict and had to go on the 12 step program to get me off of it. I got some bargains on quilt kits and fabric when the prices were good though. Not anymore.

My fav thread is Robinson Anton, Mettler, Sulky and  Madeira. I haven't tried YLI. Ellie doesn't even like Gutterman. I use the prewound bobbins, too and have had no problem with them.

North of Boston MA

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 589
Points 5,919
Bonnie replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:37 PM

I use Madeira and Janome.  They have worked very well for me.  I only got my emb machine last year and took 3rd place at the county fair with the first quilt I ever made.  It was the Dakota design of Baby Farm Animals and I put them in a jar.  The only LQS in 90 miles of me is a Janome dealer and she only carries those 2 brands of thread.  Our Wal-Mart remodeled and took out most of the fabric, thread and notions for us sewers.  I have run into 2 spools that I just took off a good chunk of the thread, changed the needle and was at least able to complete my project.

Bonnie, NorCal

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,352
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 6:44 PM

The only thread I've used for embroidery is Robison Anton 40 wt rayon. I really like it. I haven't done as much embroidery as I thought I would have though. I got some sulky samples during a shop hop but have not used them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jun 13 2010 11:07 PM

One of my favorite threads is the Mettler polysheen.  It makes a beautiful finished project.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883
Stephanie replied on Mon, Jun 14 2010 6:55 AM

Nana:

Try putting the unusable thread in the freezer for awhile.   Something about the cold and moisture will help restabilize thread.

Thanks for the tip Nana. I will do that. I have used the Mettler too. It did work well. I think being poly it's also a little stronger. Although I have to say I have a dishtowel that I have washed at least 20 times and the rayon has held up beautifully. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:57 PM

Kris and I have the same machine and mine hates R/A rayon but is fine with the R/A poly... I also use a lot of aurifil now and my machine loves it.  I also have  madeira... I do not use any metallics unless they are R/A.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,352
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 17 2010 11:36 PM

Funny how that works huh Thea. I've just tried my one spool of Aurifil and I really like it. I will be buying more.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 255
Jen replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 12:09 PM

One of my favorites is Isocord.  They have a lot of colors and they stitch out beautifully.  I have also used Jenny Haskins threads which have more of a sheen to them.  Really pretty colors too. 

Jen in Western PA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 455
grammyto2 replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:21 AM

I have always used Robison Anton thread and have had wonderful luck.  I just make sure I put a net on the spool and I also have one of those things that sits on the spool holder that holds the thread up high.  That seems to really make a difference.

I have a friend who does lots and lots of embroidery and she sent me to a great website for thread.  I figure if it works for her it can't be bad.  It's called Metro Embroidery and you would not believe the prices.  The website is www.metroemb.com  She said the thread comes off the spool in the opposite direction that we are used to, but it doesn't seem to matter.  Also you can buy 144 pre-wound bobbins for $19.95.  I just put in an order and will be anxious to see how it all works.  You can buy sets or you can buy individual spools at unbelievable prices. 

I normally would not buy something that was that cheap, but since my friend recommended it thought I would give it a try.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 455
grammyto2 replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:23 AM

I forgot to mention....the Metro thread is a poly thread.  I have always used Rayon, so will be anxious to see the difference.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:47 AM

Grammy

I checked out the site you gave us.   It is fantastic.  I will definitely have to place an order.  Their stabilizer is an excellent price as well.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use