rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,703
Points 364,327
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 19 2010 8:56 PM

Joyce,

the 820 and 830 and our local dealer has tons of my drool all over them. They are fantastic. I don't do enough embroidery to justify either one and my Pfaff works well.

Why didn't I marry for money instead of for love? Darn. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 255
Jen replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 8:36 AM

I have the Bernina 440QE with the embroidery module.  I absolutely love it!!  I have the DesignerPlus software and it is fabulous.  I have also been drooling over the Bernina 830 but just can't swing it right now.  But I have to say that I am very happy with the 440 and have no issues what so ever with it!

Jen in Western PA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,793
Stephanie replied on Mon, Jun 21 2010 8:25 PM

Welcome Jen.

i'd so love to have the Bernina 830. Why do these things have to be so darned expensive anyway. I never thought in my lifetime I'd see a sewing machine that would be as expensive as a used car. Not that they're not worth it, and a lot of the companies offer pretty great no interest financing plans. Maybe they'll be like plasma tv's and come down in price over the next couple years.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 455
grammyto2 replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:14 AM

I had to sell my first born to do it, (just kidding) but I have the Viking Diamond.  So far it has been a great machine.  I had a longarm for a couple years and decided it just was not for me.  I never enjoyed putting someone else's quilt on the machine for fear I would ruin it or something.  So when I sold the longarm I bought the embroidery machine.  As much as I love my Viking, I too have drooled over the Bernina (don't know the numbers).  I wish the viking had the stitch regulator built in like the Bernina.  With the viking you have to buy this silly thing called the Fabu-Motion.  It's like a box that fits on the machine and it gives you a small area to quilt in.  I know I'm getting into quilting now, but I can't remember if the embroidery machine had that as well or if they were 2 different machines.  Anyway.....I really liked the Bernina.  Will probably stick to my Viking.

Needless to say...I will be paying on the Viking for another couple years.  At least it was an interest free deal. 

We have a very active dealership in Rapid City with all kinds of classes, etc.  But I just get soooo overwhelmed with all the new stuff that keeps coming out. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:56 AM

Grammy

The big Bernina which is the 830 has embroidery and has a large throat space and you can actually put it on a frame and quilt with it that way.   It is a great machine but it is $12,000.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

OMG~

That's what they cost? Mama Mia! That's ludicrous. When the machine companies all came out with their newest high end extravaganza machines last fall I thought those prices were bad. The Babylock Ellisimo is $9,000....for a sewing machine. You'd think where the economy is bad they would be making less expensive machines to keep the art of sewing affordable. I guess they are doing that, too. I know Babylock came out with a whole new series and its aimed at beginner sewers and kids which is good.

Well, I think the Bernina 830 just came off my wish list. But the list is still a ponderously long list of wants and more wants.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:12 PM

Diane

They frequently have sales where you can get the 830 for about $9000 and also receive an embroidery software upgrade or a quilting frame.   You just have to watch for them.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I think if I were to get another machine I would get a quilting machine with a longer throat area. I have an inexpensive Brother quilting machine that I like but there's no bells and whistles. I mainly got it for classes but I very seldom take classes anymore. So I'm still playing in my head of wishes if I would want a LA or a quilting machine. Of course,this is all dreaming until we hit the lottery.  The Babylock (Ellie) is a quilting/embroidery/sewing machine so she really does it all. If I wanted to embroider and quilt at the same time I could always use the Brother or the Featherweight. I just want everything!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,793
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:52 PM

grammyto2:
I wish the viking had the stitch regulator built in like the Bernina.  With the viking you have to buy this silly thing called the Fabu-Motion. 

Does that thing really make sense when you're trying to do something larger than a pillow? I'd just like to have the stitch regulator and be able to keep my quilt flush with the surface of my table. Do you know if the stitch regulator  will work  without the fabumotion part attached?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Nancy replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 10:40 PM

I have a Janome 11000.  I'm sure I'll never take full advantage of the sewing features and will be lucky to learn all of the embroidery features!  But it is really easy to use and designs can be transfered in several ways.  I usually download the designs on a memory stick from my computer and use the memory stick in the machine.  

I noticed several of you mentioned embroidery software.  I don't do digitizing but I do like to cut and paste and resize designs.  The file manager I use to easlily view and organize my designs on the computer is called Buzz Explore.  I couldn't survive without this as I'm addicted to buying embroidery designs.  (Its almost as addicting as buying fabric...)  I also use Buzz Edit to modify designs and save in differernt formats as I also have an older Pfaff embroidery machine. 

I really like to make quilts using embroidery designs. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Nancy~

And welcome! Well, you've opened up the flood gates. "I really like to make quilts using embroidery designs." We are picture vultures. So please show us your shows and tells. We love to see pictures.

To include a picture in your message look at the Description bar above. Click on the little green icon that looks like a roll of film and you can browse your computer and download pictures so we can see!

North of Boston MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 135
Deb replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 8:08 PM

Hello,

I just joined this group. It looks like you have a nice group of people and will have many hints and inspiration for us all. I'm on my second Bernina the 730. My first was the Bernina 180 which was nice, but I adore the 730 machine.

What I like (LOVE) about the 730 is the amazing automatic thread cutter. I still just smile when I push that little button and the thread cuts. Now I know many of you have had this feature for a long time but it's new to me and simply magical.

What I dislike about the 730 is the monthy payment, (not really too bad).

I did look at and consider the 830 but it just was too big and scary for me.

The Bernina software also made it home with me. This new Version 6 is more than I'll ever use. Before I had Bernina software Version 3 which was pretty simple but I still never used half of the features.

Thank you for letting me join and share,

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:20 AM

Deb

OOOHHHH I am so jealous.   I would love to have the 730.  Bernina makes some wonderful machines.  I presently have the 435 and really like it but I would love to have one of the bigger models with more stitches.   It would also be nice to have one that uses the memory stick instead of the usb cable.  But one can always dream.....

I really like the 830 and would definitely not send it back if someone bought me one....LOL>  But I agree it is alot of machine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

I've joined this group to ask the following questions:

What size of embroidery do you must often make?

Would a 4" x 4" limit in size be too small?

I haven't purchased a machine, so I'm studing this group to learn as much as I can.

I know I want a stand alone machine -- Embroidery one that is.

Thanks in advance for the help I know is coming!!!!!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:06 PM

Patty Mc

My first embroidery machine only did the 4 x 4.  It didn't take long for me to want to upgrade to have more size capabilities.  The Bernina I have now will do up to 7 inches wide by 12 inches long.  Love the larger capability.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use